My terrain tool disappeared and I could no longer use it.

Escuerel

I play on the Steam version for Astroneer (version 1.11.62.0), and after playing for long periods of time with a friend the game starts to get a little buggy graphically, but it was bearable to say the least. Recently my terrain tool just disappeared.

I was replacing the drill mod 1 that I was currently using on my tool with a drill mod 2. I wasn't able to pull out my terrain tool using the hotkey and had to manually move it. When I went to put the drill mod on my tool, it slotted into the spot where my terrain tool should be. Which promptly made it just disappear when I closed and reopened my backpack to try it again.

The two capsules and the drill mod I had on the tool fell to the ground when I left and rejoined, and the slot where my terrain tool would connect to now just acts as another slot of inventory. Pressing the hotkey to use my tool still does nothing.

The only thing that fixed this issue was dying.
Multiple rejoining attempts didn't do anything, leaving Sylva and flying elsewhere didn't help, and it wasn't until I ran out and died to the vicious Glacio flora did I regain my tool.

Specifications:
CPU: Intel i5-6600k 3.5GHz
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
8 GB installed RAM

Drive: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

unknown.png

• 2 weeks later...

I had that happen in a multiplayer game I was in. It was a pain losing the terrain tool, but at least I got an extra attachment point on the side of the backpack where the terrain tool normally plugs in. Yes, when the tool is gone you can carry an extra item on that connector. One of the other guys in the game actually took a screen shot of my Astroneer with a drill mod or something attached to that slot. I believe the only solution for me was to quit the game and also have the host quit the game and then for him to restart the game and me to rejoin.