After Windows 10 1909  OS Build 18363.815 updated,  you CANNOT savegames in any way shape or form.   I had to roll back the update in order to get to save again.   So if you want to be able to save to NOT update Windows as of apr 24, 2020.    This bug will have to be fixed before I even come close to playing again..  already lost 3 to 4 hours of time.  was fun! but all the work was for nothing.

Is this with existing worlds only or are you also unable to save when you start a new world and try to save and quit?

If you can still save new worlds it might have something to do with the permissions of your current save file, like read-only ect.

I'm unable to save with a new game as well, i can start a new game, but even though it says saving, it never generates a save file.

29 minutes ago, 3Raccoons said:

Is this with existing worlds only or are you also unable to save when you start a new world and try to save and quit?

If you can still save new worlds it might have something to do with the permissions of your current save file, like read-only ect.

For me I am able to start a new world or load an existing save but I am unable to save any new world or existing save. I am also unable to rename or duplicate an existing save. On a different desktop I was able to sync my saves after installing the game fresh and it worked fine (both systems are on the same Windows 10 build number: 18363.815). Playing saved games on the XBox also works fine, but I really dislike using the game controller. I have refreshed my main desktop thinking it was a corrupted profile issue. Reinstalled the game and have the same problem. Only thing I haven't tried is a clean install of Windows.

Follow-up since last night. I attempted to uninstall KB4550945 as it was mentioned in another thread that some were finding this solved their issue. I was unable to uninstall the update so I had to use a restore point and then pause updates. So after restoring, pausing updates, reinstalling Astroneer, I am still unable to save, rename, duplicate. So, unfortunately, at least in my case, KB4550945 does not seem to be the culprit.

Yeah one of TOOMANY PCs has  .815 on it Along with KB4552152 and KB4550945 and its able to save normally now. On that pc the sec update 2152 is right before Win Update 0945,   on my surface as well...  and I got that working yesterday.    Thought about app permissions, but didn't do any troubleshooting on it.

Well, now it doesn't work on either computer. I'm giving up on it for now. Rather disappointing. Hopefully SE can figure out how to resolve it.

Yeah, I'm getting the same problem. I've been able to play just fine alone or multiplayer but now I can't save. I've started a new adventure, I've tried to duplicate saves—no beans. 

Hello,
My game is installed on windows 10 pro with the game pass, so the windows store.
In my case all worked properly until a moment.
So something happened in the meantime.
repairing the game does not work, uninstalling installation, repairing windows with a sfc / scanow no, Windows update distribution utility no. The only thing that happened at that time was updating windows. was kb4550945. it was the last one. it started again 2 days ago. Automatic update activated .... I still uninstalled the last w10 update and the game works correctly again. Updates are important but are not all optimized. One of the updates which was however deployed to be withdrawn urgently because it was a blue screen and delayed by a year ... I really think that in this precise case (game installed thanks to the windows store) Windows updates corrupt our backups.
There is necessarily a reason why it no longer works.
Be careful not to break your windows.
sorry for my poor English.

Posted (edited)

Uninstalling the 1909 (KB4550945) update worked for me. The save files worked normally, the data was not corrupted for me. The game still crashes multiple times when I'm playing in someone else's save. I've paused updates for now but I'm hoping the game can be patched soon.

Edited by Fooluaintblack

Just wanted to confirm that update KB4550945 is indeed the culprit. I've talked to some folks who are hesitant to roll back, but it's an optional update, and as such you shouldn't lose any functionality after reverting to the last build.

We're looking into if we can provide a fix for this, and are currently aiming to release it with our next update if possible!