Inventory Management Item Sorter.

First off I'd just like to say amazing job on this wonderful game.  I just started playing it 3 days ago and was introduced by a friend and this game is simply amazing.  While I do agree that there is a lot of room for growth in the game.  I think the foundation is really well thought out, and I am eagerly awaiting what comes next!

That being said.  I have an idea for hopefully a simple fix to the common issue of item sorting and also a neat jab at the automation concept.  Here goes:

Item Sorter.

Item is a small device similar to a small solar, small wind turbine or small printer.  It will create it's own tiny base and has directional power cables like the large rover does.  You hook the device up between two tables.  Then you look at the item sorter and press the F key.  Inside there all the items in the game are listed.  You choose ONE item and the item sorter will pull all of that type of item from the origin table to the destination table based on how you have the directional power hooked up.  It doesn't have to be an instant pull.  It can take a little time.  Also the item sorter would need some power to function.

Since having these things running all the time may cause lag issues especially if you have a lot of them.  The item sorter will turn itself off once there are no longer any items to pull of the given type.  You then have to go back inside of the item's interaction UI to flip a switch to turn it back on.  This item would only move Tier 1 items.

Also as an addition the large rover can use it's front power cable to unload every single tier 1 item off all storage on the rover and onto the table it is connected to.  This would help significantly on unloading the massive piles of stuff that you collect while out harvesting.

Hope this idea is either accepted or useful in coming up with a better or different option!

I really like this idea, simple and elegant.

And most importantly: it fits in your inventory!

Any suggestions on byte and material cost?

Not sure honestly.  I'd say make it more of a mid to end game item.  Probably 5,000 - 10,000 bytes to learn.  Not entirely sure on the crafting costs.  Since you'd end up wanting several of them at least then the crafting shouldn't be crazy high.  Maybe Titanium alloy with some plastic.

Small items only require one ingredient, but you won't need that many of those.

The question is: in which game phase it should be available? I see it more in the mid game!

On 4/21/2020 at 11:28 AM, Rashaka said:

Item Sorter.

Great idea for the late game stage. 👍

On 4/23/2020 at 7:28 AM, Igoooor said:

I really like this idea, simple and elegant.

Agree.

5 hours ago, mece said:

Great idea for the late game stage. 👍

If you are looking for a more sophisticated larger scale automated item transfer solution you can take a look at my pipe connector idea:

The ideas in my head are much more refined than the confusing stuff I wrote back then ;)

I should make a new topic with example pictures :D

Edited by Igoooor