Commander John

My very tedious and somehow fun adventure.

So I decided I was going to make a base at the North Pole of an Exotic planet. That way I could get basically round the clock power from solar arrays, as well as having a more beautiful sky because the stars are in a ring around the Horizon. Only one problem, I didn't have a Habitat or anything of the sort, so I had to haul a Shuttle the entire way there over an Exotic planet. That means a ton of trees, those annoying green plants that are bugged so you can't drive through them, and tons of pits to get delayed by. And I mean a TON of pits...

20161227185526_1.jpg

And so after building a truck and a shuttle, as well as some storage, a large battery, and a solar panel for my truck, I was off. Putting along the world with impunity.

20161227190542_1.jpg

Well not long after my journey I ran across one of the Exotic Planet's many pits, and had to dig myself out. This would happen a LOT...

20161227190746_1.jpg

Despite my best efforts, the shuttle kept getting caught on basically everything. From trees to tiny lips on the side of pits, it didn't want to behave. Eventually I started getting some FPS drops which didn't make it any easier.

20161227190931_2.jpg20161227190942_1.jpg

Finally I found the exact North Pole of the planet, and took the opportunity for a nice little photo op. THIS was the sky I was looking forward to :) Well I jumped off this nerdpole and died on accident, so I had to make a Rover and find my way back. Which wasn't very hard, I mean all I need to do is go North, right?

20161227191913_1.jpg

20161227192114_1.jpg

20161227192244_1.jpg

I then made a raised platform and a ramp, which I would later find to be very insufficient to move a shuttle up.

20161227193259_1.jpg

This happened a little too many times. More than I would like to admit.

20161227193806_1.jpg

Finally I got them up my ramp, and I'll be working on this base at some point in the near future, for now I never want to see another pit again. <3

As a side note, does anyone have any good designs for a North Pole solar array? Perhaps a sort of cone of solar panels? Or can they just all be flat? Oh well, I'll figure it out.

Nice project.  You got some cool shots on the way too, I love it.

I haven't tried to build on a pole yet so I have no advice... just congratulations.

30 minutes ago, CherubimCW said:

Nice project.  You got some cool shots on the way too, I love it.

I haven't tried to build on a pole yet so I have no advice... just congratulations.

Thank you lol, Looking back through all of the pictures it really puts into perspective just how many little moments there are that make this game awesome. Despite the bugs, glitches, and derpy mechanics it was still a fun and memorable journey up north. I ran into the problem that there's basically no compound whatsoever on this planet, so I had to find my original base again and trade for some more. Boy was that interesting!

4 hours ago, Commander John said:

As a side note, does anyone have any good designs for a North Pole solar array?

Have solar panels face four sides, really, that's just about it. Direction really doesn't matter since these solar panels will start powering up as long as they are getting strong sunlight.
Which means make sure there are no hills or mountains near the array as they will block the sunlight if your solar array is lower than hills or mountains.
Hence why I always look for nearest mountain to establish solar array.
If you want to build on a hill, just set them up along the hillside so they can cover the surface area of the hill(Though I haven't tested this one yet).

Edited by Spooky_07