Windows 10 - Mouse input not recognized when using Remote Play

Summary:

The game isn't accepting mouse input from remote play applications when no mouse is plugged in.

Description: 

I have Astroneer installed on a headless Windows 10 machine and use it to stream games to variuos other machines. There is no mouse or keyboard attached to this machine.

When using a Steam Remote Play like application Astroneer refuses to accept any mouse clicks. I can see the white dot move on the screen, but clicking has no effect. I can't select any menu items etc. In other words, I can't start a game, quit the game or anything.

This applies to:

• Steam Remote Play from a Linux machine and a MacOS machine
  • VNC remote desktop
  • Chrome remote desktop
  • Steam Link with Steam Controller configured to simulate mouse movements.

Two points of interest:

• The "Read More" button on the "Update 1.9.8 is Live" news item on the main menu can be clicked on just fine. Nothing else can be clicked on though.
  • If I plug a mouse into the headless machine then all the applications mentioned above can suddenly start to click on everything without problems.

No other game behaves like this and I'd really like to not have to have a mouse plugged into the headless machine.

Platform:
Steam on Windows 10

Version / Build Number: 

Specifications:

• CPU:  Intel
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 970
  • RAM:  16 GiB
  • Drive:  Some 3TB HDD