ApoNono

[Merged] Vehicle Issues

My biggest problem lately with any wheel based vehicle is them either not moving forwards once I'm in the driver seat or in the case of the tractor forever moves forwards no matter what I do. It's gotten so bad that I just quit the game in frustration. 

I have found that if the vehicle is not moving all batteries and seats need to be unattached and reattached then the vehicle will work properly

1. Vehicles sometimes sink into the ground - I was just driving on top when it went through soild ground and into cave.
2. Locking - there are two ways:
 a) vehicles freeze-lock like frozen snake and than just keep sliding sideways( with working motor sound) - wheels turn to one side iirc.
 b) one section of vehicle locks to the ground - you can unhook it and drive other parts. For me it is almost always section with oxygenator/shreder.
    To unlock you have to drop all offensive item, unhook and dig around so it bounces.

Half the time when I get out of a vehicle it gets into a state where it won't drive -- getting in the seat just makes it sort of slide whereever gravity would take it.

Sometimes I can get it to start working again by walking (not teleporting) very very far away, but that doesn't always work. Saving and reloading always works but that's even slower.

This is totally ruining the game. Or at least the use of vehicles.

Also, vehicle-mounted drills are almost impossible to control. The rovers always want to dive towards the center of the earth, and if you try to pull back to counteract that they end up making a slope too steep for them to climb.

Edited by terrycloth

3 hours ago, terrycloth said:

Half the time when I get out of a vehicle it gets into a state where it won't drive -- getting in the seat just makes it sort of slide whereever gravity would take it.

Sometimes I can get it to start working again by walking (not teleporting) very very far away, but that doesn't always work. Saving and reloading always works but that's even slower.

This is totally ruining the game. Or at least the use of vehicles.

Also, vehicle-mounted drills are almost impossible to control. The rovers always want to dive towards the center of the earth, and if you try to pull back to counteract that they end up making a slope too steep for them to climb.

You basically repeated my issue word for word. Thank you this is definitely a confirmed bug! Also it would be nice if the drills vertical axis was controlled and set by the arrow keys 

6 hours ago, corey oler said:

I have found that if the vehicle is not moving all batteries and seats need to be unattached and reattached then the vehicle will work properly

I try this fix every time the vehicle gets stuck and it only works about 50% of the time. I think it’s related to vehicle object collision. Sometimes disconnecting works too. However I still constantly get into a situation when I do all those things and dig up the ground and it still doesn’t work. The only fool proof solution is to exit to main menu. It’s almost unplayable when this bug starts happening because I may need to exit to menu 3-4 times before I get the vehicle out of the spot where it gets stuck continually. Please look into the object collision code in vehicles and vehicles which are attached together. Some kind of reset button for the object collision would be nice. This issue happen most which vehicles which are attached together.

5 hours ago, Night.Trek said:

I try this fix every time the vehicle gets stuck and it only works about 50% of the time. I think it’s related to vehicle object collision. Sometimes disconnecting works too. However I still constantly get into a situation when I do all those things and dig up the ground and it still doesn’t work. The only fool proof solution is to exit to main menu. It’s almost unplayable when this bug starts happening because I may need to exit to menu 3-4 times before I get the vehicle out of the spot where it gets stuck continually. Please look into the object collision code in vehicles and vehicles which are attached together. Some kind of reset button for the object collision would be nice. This issue happen most which vehicles which are attached together.

I have found it's the batteries that are the problem, when your vehicle won't move step on the gas for 5-10 seconds (hold your go key, W on PC by default) get out and remove / replace the batteries, and your vehicle should work again. Supper annoying when I am parked on a slope in one of my roads to the core because they are often long long paths, and paths with no sides going over large drops lol.

Fortunately I haven't had any vehicle clip through the ground yet, but I def have been encountering the same bug that makes all wheeled vehicles immobile. There is no rhyme or reason to it- it happens on ground that I haven't terraformed, so that can't be it. The only 100% solution is to load the game, but that takes a couple of minutes, and crashes my game half of the time (due to the memory leak bug, methinks). It's even worse with my heavy rover train of 3 rovers- at least 50% of the time either the lead rover won't move, or the lead and middle rover move, but the last rover seems glued in place. Getting out, detaching seats, hooking/unhooking everything... nothing works reliably so I try everything. Sometimes nothing works at all and I have to reload.

Also- to anyone experiencing battery drain while this is happening- I noticed that the battery will go down if I hit any direction, even if the rover is glitches and the wheels aren't turning. Even pressing left or right in this state will use battery power.

multiple tractors I've made have just stopped working all of a sudden, and I couldn't move with them, I've lost like 4 tractors with 3 trailers so far and it's getting kinda annoying, they all had full power, and were on flat ground.

Im on Xbox One X. Three forths of the time when i get in a vehicle is doesn't move or drive. The vehicle has power and inst partially in the ground. So it should move just fine. but when i get out and it like 5 more times it magically works. Another related issue comes when you stack 3 large rovers together, sometimes the back most rover has its breaks permalocked or something wont turn and if driven off a cliff after much struggle it will just float there. only fixing itself when you get out and walk back to it. making a train of 3 useless. cause it wont move.

Noticed that if I enter a vehicle while I have the terrain tool out 99% of the time the vehicle is unresponsive. If I enter with the tool stowed the vehicle is drivable...

In multiplayer on PC I very often get launched into space while either mounting or dismounting any land vehicles, this results in me dying and losing my items every time.

It's excessively demotivating.

My theory is that when the vehicle is undriveable it's because it's being affected by physics, which is getting priority.  Since the physics interaction never stabilises, you never get priority to use it (it even starts or keeps sliding when you enter it).  A way around is save and load again, which resets all physics.

So I was using a drill and an rtg on the trailer and when the drill was going the tractor wouldn’t move and I don’t know if there is not enough power but that probably shouldn’t happen. Also I was playing with a friend and somehow a small solar got stuck on a tractor seat and I can’t use it or take it off

Tractor constantly turning off whenever I use my terrain tool anywhere near it.  Sometimes running away and coming back fixes it, sometimes putting my terrain tool away fixes it.  Majority of the time I have to log out and back in.  Having this happen multiple times in a short play session is more than I can take.  Sadly going to shelve astroneer until this bug gets hammered out

14 minutes ago, lee said:

Tractor constantly turning off whenever I use my terrain tool anywhere near it.  Sometimes running away and coming back fixes it, sometimes putting my terrain tool away fixes it.  Majority of the time I have to log out and back in.  Having this happen multiple times in a short play session is more than I can take.  Sadly going to shelve astroneer until this bug gets hammered out

What system n what version? Xbox get updated Monday r Tuesday and PC just got and update?

31 minutes ago, mumbles mumbles said:

What system n what version? Xbox get updated Monday r Tuesday and PC just got and update?

PC 1.0.6 Steam

Edited by lee

Playing on Steam.

My buggy won't move. It's not stuck on anything, it's not inside terrain, it has power (small wind turbine and a battery), it was moving before this point. It just won't move now. I get in and it'll slide down the ramp I've made trying to free it from possible terrain issues, but i can't make it move at all.

I'm on Novus, an indeterminate distance underground, with no tethers, and I have no idea where I am. I'd really rather not die here.

Edit: I scrolled up. It's the terrain tool bug. Disregard.

Edited by Moon-Moth
Discovery of relevant bug already posted.

4 hours ago, lee said:

This is supposed to happen as far as I know. Your terrain tool uses energy, and if you get close to your vehicle your backpack battery has to recharge from the nearest power source, and that would then be your vehicle. Make sure you have a small solar panel on your vehicle to  recharge the vehicle when the sun comes out.

18 hours ago, Potatoking said:

This is supposed to happen as far as I know. Your terrain tool uses energy, and if you get close to your vehicle your backpack battery has to recharge from the nearest power source, and that would then be your vehicle. Make sure you have a small solar panel on your vehicle to  recharge the vehicle when the sun comes out.

I think I would know if my vehicle was out of power.... thanks though

5 hours ago, lee said:

I think I would know if my vehicle was out of power.... thanks though

Other than that I have no idea what is wrong. Must be a bug...gy... buggy... like the car... anyone? *flies away...*

Just to update. It is possible to make vehicle movable again. In most  cases you just have to dig tires out( seems they clip into ground). Sometime you will have to detach, remove pods from vehicle, attach/dig.

im sorry this bug is driving me nuts get into your rover train and it sounds like it is going but just keeps sliding and wont stop 

lost too many rover trains this way also very frustrating when you get back in and the rover is non responsive. 90% of my time is dealing with a bugged out rover

quicker to just walk to the teleporters and build a base right on it then take a rover

kinda shelved this game until this is resolved