DarkPhosphorus

What direction is this game going?

Posted (edited)

So my question is, was this game originally intended to have a "finish"? was it ever supposed to have dedicated servers, randomly generated planets, or any sort of massive multiplayer server? I'm sort of picking at a lot of the things that No Mans Sky was known for because when this game was still in development, I thought things like that would be implemented. If there was a game that took the best of this game and the best of NMS and put it all into one, I would be satisfied.

Its hard to tell what I'm getting at in this post. To put it frankly, I'm disappointed that there aren't randomly generated worlds or more "variation". I guess it just doesn't work with the art style. Even though there's terrain, why cant we build bases with lego-like parts, like walls that can link together and created with material like compound, or why isn't there really any sort of automation? It would be cool to be able to build more complex "functions"/

Edited by DarkPhosphorus

They've been very tight-lipped about this year's plans, but...

The next major update is intended to be dedicated servers. They're working out the kinks following the recent beta. 

The planets are procedurally generated, similar to nms, there's just a limited number of types, hence the lack of variation. 

Automation of some kind is on the horizon. 

As for walls etc, there's been talk of deploying terrain in sections but nothing too detailed. 

thank you, I re-read my post and your reply carefully, before I made this post, I haven't played for months. Coming back to the forums after putting in another 30 hours of gameplay, I am now aware that its not more variation that I am looking for. I got bored after having built 24 RTGs and I wanted to blow stuff up. I had 24 atmospheric condensers making hydrogen, and after 50 minutes (yes this really did take 50 minutes) of clicking each individual hydrogen and throwing them into a pit, once I had thrown all 1.5k, my game was super choppy and the explosion left a hole barely larger than the one with only 500 hydrogen.

THIS leads me to suggest medium gas containers, just like the medium soil canister, with 16x the capacity of the smaller counterpart, and 16x the explosive power. SAME with hydrazine. I truly believe that everyone would appreciate medium sized hydrazine and gas containers. Large batteries too? Medium ones are nice for small vehicles and spaceships, but a large battery would be nice for stationary bases, less smaller parts, less lag even? 

On 3/10/2020 at 10:30 PM, DarkPhosphorus said:

So my question is, was this game originally intended to have a "finish"? was it ever supposed to have dedicated servers, randomly generated planets, or any sort of massive multiplayer server? I'm sort of picking at a lot of the things that No Mans Sky was known for because when this game was still in development, I thought things like that would be implemented. If there was a game that took the best of this game and the best of NMS and put it all into one, I would be satisfied.

Its hard to tell what I'm getting at in this post. To put it frankly, I'm disappointed that there aren't randomly generated worlds or more "variation". I guess it just doesn't work with the art style. Even though there's terrain, why cant we build bases with lego-like parts, like walls that can link together and created with material like compound, or why isn't there really any sort of automation? It would be cool to be able to build more complex "functions"/

I share the same sentiment. Unfortunately, there is nothing that I see (at least to me) that indicates that anything is going to change. Astroneer is what it is. SES might add an extra planet or two down the road, but the dynamic will most likely remain the same: you land, you look for resources, you build a base, you unlock a portal, you dig and unlock the core, then you do whatever you want after that: play planetary maintenance and pick up scrap, unleash your artistic vision in creative mode, or build stadiums to play buggy soccer. I do not see SES adding any No-Man's-Sky-esque quests in the game, nor any lore elements to enhance the space exploration aspect of the game. In my opinion, based on what I've seen so far, they are more interested in making this game more "cutesy" than substantial, something more akin to a light version of Minecraft than No Man's Sky, or any other space exploration game, for that matter. If you look at their trello roadmap, you'll see what I mean. Everything that's supposed to come will not enhance gameplay, just more meaningless stuff to build/get. No quests, no lore, no interactions.

Too bad the game is only what it is. With the right vision, could be a whole lot more.

I shouldn't complain, though, having almost 600 hours in the game myself...

If you want to know exactly the direction of the game’s development, see the latest stream from the developers. 100 minutes of lost time and no useful information about the game - this is how you need to work with community. Joe, as always, is incomparable.

On 3/21/2020 at 3:43 PM, Mirosya said:

If you want to know exactly the direction of the game’s development, see the latest stream from the developers. 100 minutes of lost time and no useful information about the game - this is how you need to work with community. Joe, as always, is incomparable.

I didn't know if this is meant to be sarcastic or not. so i tried saying it in my head with the Simpsons' Comic Book Guy voice. Go try that now.

Oh yeah, its sarcastic.

18 hours ago, Bron said:

I didn't know if this is meant to be sarcastic or not. so i tried saying it in my head with the Simpsons' Comic Book Guy voice. Go try that now.

Oh yeah, its sarcastic.

There is still no dedicated server, the player constantly trips over invisible stones, in the game from the new one there are only regular hats, suits and other useless rubbish. What to try?

@SES_joe you really need to communicate more, do your job please or let SES hire someone else to do better. You're still visiting the forums but your last post was two months ago...