Taphi_

Flat land

I've been trying for literally 4 hours to make flat land. I mean GLASS SMOOTH land. Not just run the flatten tool over and keep it mostly flat. I've made perfect flat smooth land before several times but seems to just be luck. I have been super frustrated trying to make flat land on this one base and wonder if anyone has tips to get the initial flat surface started? I've seen like 4 people now post bases with 90 degree angles and flat land on multiple levels and wonder how they did it multiple times reliably? As I said I've done it before just can't figure out a solid method to it... spent 4 hours now on one piece of land... very frustrating...

Would be nice...have not been able to reproduce this effect at all.....very hard to drive the truck across the landscape with the various terrain obstacles....I tend to flip the damn thing way too much even sometimes on something simple like a small rock that you hit just right.

Making flat land is simple, but not easy.

From what i can tell, there's noise added, which seems to be based on the angle of the plane you're making.

At certain orthogonal angles (like a cube) and a few others, like 45 degrees, the noise vanishes and you get true flat.

There may be a clever way to do it, but how i do it, is find a bit of flaty land, flatten it more, and then click repeatedly on the largest looking coherent spots until i fin ond that lets the flat spread out.

Once you have one flat spot, you can spread it out from there.

There's a youtube vid about a person surrounding their base with a wall. Maybe that has tips?

@Azirahael your video was nice, but I didn't really get it until I went on to the one about ramps.  The moment when you explained latching onto the world geometry is when everything clicked for me.

This could be solved by adding (if it exists) a 'flat' terraforming action. Adding sensitivity and strength to it is also available, depending on what the developer has in mind. Not a big deal right now, but on release definitely include the 'raise terrain', 'lower terrain', 'smooth', 'flatten' options with sensitivity.

I can do Flat. I can do walls, tunnels, and any surface I want Flat...... On Terran.

Anywhere else? forget about it.

The flattening tool doesn't even work well anywhere else, it's like I can only move it in a constrained grid, I can't move it around on the surface, and I definitely CANNOT make any flat surface on any other body other than Terran.

On 29/12/2016 at 4:29 PM, Martin said:

dynamite.

Leaves a perfectly flat surface.

only on a perfectly flat surface.

Otherwise: flat-ish.

On 12/29/2016 at 0:07 PM, Vicomt said:

I can do Flat. I can do walls, tunnels, and any surface I want Flat...... On Terran.

Anywhere else? forget about it.

The flattening tool doesn't even work well anywhere else, it's like I can only move it in a constrained grid, I can't move it around on the surface, and I definitely CANNOT make any flat surface on any other body other than Terran.

Got the same problem, flattening works well on Terran, but not on the other planets

Intresting. I noticed something like that on the Arid One. The multi-tool sometimes jumps like there is a snapping grid or some kind of unpassable terrain (although it's empty). Just some small area (3-5m), where I just can't place the tool to. It jumps over the small area behind it or left or right it's really stange. I noticed, when I place the cursor before those areas and move the character instead of the mouse I can reach those problematic area. Still, something strange is going one.

Regarding the flattening

I would concur it is harder the get flat surfaces on other planets. And no matter how flat you make the terrain, the station extension always manages to get somewhat higher or lower as the surfaces you carefully made. It's gotten better since the first public build, but still no what we want.

Maybe we need another flattening tool version, one that is always perpendicular to garavity with the height above gravity at the start point. I know, this will not always create absolute smooth surfaces, because the surface curvature is relativly height in this game because the planets are not that big (Barren Planet/Moon especially) but that way even larger bases do not start to ramp up/down. ... And of course, please let the station extension have the same height as we prepare the terrain.

Funny that, had same problem with the tool, unable to get perfectly flat surfaces, never noticed it was just on other planets, thought it was just me or that the mouse was sticking or something.

I wonder if it has something to do with the radius of the planet? I've not personally tried a flat land base on Tundra, which is possibly the only other planet the size of Terran, although Arid is largish as well, and I know for a fact I can't flatten that one.

Making flat is very difficult on the xbox.  on the PC I can manage it, but there should be a better leveling/flat tool, specifically for those of us who like a nice casual game like this on their couch.

An update to my earlier flattening problems - I managed to get a perfectly flat area on Radiated O_O

The flattening tool still works in mysterious ways on any other planet (than Terran) though, it just feels like it's constrained to follow some sort of grid lines, but they're not perpendicular as far as I can tell.

The only way I managed to spread the flat area was to walk around whilst flattening a very small area around me. move the cursor further out (whilst holding the flatten) and I just can't flatten where I want to.

Edited by Vicomt
clarification

The problem with creating "flat" land is where you are on the planet. Let's start with some definitions (courtesy of Google):

Flat: having a level surface; without raised areas or indentations.

Smooth: having an even and regular surface; free from perceptible projections, lumps, or indentations.

Horizontal: parallel to the plane of the horizon; at right angles to the vertical.

So "flat" and "smooth" are pretty much the same thing, but when people here talk about flat land what they really mean is flat/smooth AND horizontal. The "horizontal" bit here is important and is the root of the problem.

This guy gives a good explanation of why you can't create flat land just anywhere on the planet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq0w5yXa-2s

He claims there are only six places on the planet where you can create flat land. However, we already know that that you can create a smooth surface at 45° to any other smooth surface. So, between these perpendicular planes, it should also be possible to create adjoining planes at 45°. Which means ... if you did manage to flatten a whole planet perfectly (now there's a challenge!) you should get something like this, which gives us 26 places to create flat land:

710x528_4951079_1046570_1459322256.jpg.393ce8cc73b7aa18abaca2700063927d.jpg

So when you're trying to create flat land (perfectly horizontal) you need to be right in the middle of one of these planes. Anywhere else and the flat land will be sloping (with regard to the horizontal) one way or the other. I imagine that on a smaller planet it will be more of a problem, as being away from the centre of the plane will mean the flat land is on more of a slope than on a bigger planet.

That's just my theory anyway :D, if it makes any sense ...

@joncon Yeah, that makes sense, but that's not particularly what I'm whinging about. The specific is the following:

On Terran, when holding CTRL+Mouse1 to flatten, you can move the cursor is any direct for as far as you can reach, able to cover any particular point on the flat surface.

On any other planet, when doing the same, the flatten cursor is constrained to points on certain lines, and the entirety of the surrounding area cannot be flatted without moving and flattening very small areas around yourself.

it's very frustrating.

Make a rough wall first... you will be able to see the "planes" at which you can smooth..... I made a visual guide here :