Players often get lost after traveling to the North or South pole, or away from their base if the beacon/waypoint is eclipsed by the horizon. This is made worse when player's compass begins to rotate wildly once you arrive at either pole. I would love an option to either enable a 3-axis compass in settings, or craft a compass upgrade. This would allow players to look at the orientation of all axis's and choose to run towards any of the 6 nodes on a 3-axis compass. The 3D hologram of the planet would track/orient itself as the player runs around the planet. This could replace the original compass' UI, or simply augment it.

Additionally, any beacons, bases, or vehicles could be called out if the compass was large enough, or maybe if the player had the compass/orb in view for a couple seconds.

r9Jb2AK.png

Being able to always find home, or know if you're moving closer, or further away from the rover you just lost would be a huge help. 

I would prefer this feature as a settings option. I consider navigation to be an accessibility thing, and would be upset if it "not getting lost" was a late-game feature.

Edited by CptSpaceToaster

Well, getting lost is a part of the learning curve, you get lost, you search frantically for it, and eventually, you find it, and you also eventually get good enough to not get lost. Just takes some time, and honestly, I don't see the need for a GPS, because getting lost is a fundamental part of the game.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:30 AM, [7S]Vilynn said:

Well, getting lost is a part of the learning curve, you get lost, you search frantically for it, and eventually, you find it, and you also eventually get good enough to not get lost. Just takes some time, and honestly, I don't see the need for a GPS, because getting lost is a fundamental part of the game.

+1

Also, this stops being an issue as soon as you have activated the portal nearest your base and remembered its designator.
Or make a point of building tether lines from your base to either pole to follow home

On 2/24/2020 at 7:30 PM, [7S]Vilynn said:

... getting lost is a fundamental part of the game.

I disagree whole-heartedly. Exploring is the fundamental part of the game. Getting lost as a result is rarely fun.

On 3/21/2020 at 1:49 PM, neraulin said:

Also, this stops being an issue as soon as you have activated the portal nearest your base and remembered its designator.
 Or make a point of building tether lines from your base to either pole to follow home

The north pole does function that way, as the current compass doesn't handle the poles well, but if your base is closer to a gateway on the equator, then you can't look at your compass and "run east" to get there... you'll just be running circles around the planet.

Tethers are fine, but can be a troublesome point if players rely on large tether networks on multiple planets. The saves grow too large on consoles and tethers are one part of the blame. Players already need to work too hard to keep the save file size down. If the solution to navigation is "just put tethers everywhere" you're actively excluding console players from being able to play on the same save and unlock every gateway before the save file grows too large. Giving players a tether-less option that allows them to walk around the world without getting lost would be better.

Edited by CptSpaceToaster