I played this game for long time ago and my only real complaint is the beacons cant be see very far away. I think home beacon at least should be seen no matter where your at on the planet. Regardless how many you have. Because its extremely frustrating when you get lost on a planet and circle around the planet a few times before you can find your base if you can. I play multiplayer with two other people and all three of has gotten lost. Be able to see beacons no matter where was apart of the game once upon a time why was it removed?

Maybe a compass at the top of the screen with dots pointing home, so at least you know which way to head.

I like the immersive nature of a diegetic UI, so having a compass overlay or some sort of HUD isn't were I'd like to see them go, but I do think having a little dot or icon show up on the hover-compass that'll show home and other beacons placed around the world is very appealing.  I'd like to see the compass updated to look a bit more like the new Terrain Tool reticle, rather than the flat-white thing we have now.  Seeing my compass on Glacio or in a bright environment is next to impossible.

These are all items that have been brought up before. However, I do think it is worth revisiting some of them. Gina has a great point about the compass visibility issue on some of the planets. I don't think having a "THIS WAY HOME" marker added to the compass is necessary or a good idea either since learning to navigate with the clues already available in the game and learning how not to get lost in the first place is part of the challenge. On the other hand, having a heads-up compass that activates when you enter a ground vehicle would be a welcome addition. That or having a compass rose  that can be brought up/activated while still mounted in the vehicle. Having to jump out of the vehicle every time you want to check directions is a major PITA.

4 hours ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

learning to navigate with the clues already available in the game and learning how not to get lost in the first place is part of the challenge.

i would agree with you on this point, but for one minor issue: draw distance.

i frequently build tall navigation columns of planet-stuff with my terrain tool in order to give me some kind of visual navigation aid. problem is, you don't need to get too far away before your navigation marker de-rezzes into something abstract and unrecognizable, then disappears completely. visual navigation is hampered significantly by the graphics draw distance in the game.

4 hours ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

Having to jump out of the vehicle every time you want to check directions is a major PITA

+1. totally a pain in the fundament. how this has not been added to the game yet is beyond me.

Posted (edited)

I have set out miles of tether lines in the past to try to keep from getting lost. I have also used lines of beacons placed so that they are visible from one to the other regardless of the terrain between them. What I do now is use a bulletproof method for finding my way back to my home base. 1. Pick a landing site that is North of the equator [located to the right of your space ship as it orbits the planet] 2. Run a tether line from newly established base to the north pole [Most planets have a Gateway structure located at the pole and for the ones that don't I use the compass to locate the North pole and build a soil pillar at the pole {beacon on pillar is optional}] Now if I do happen to get lost I just have to go North from wherever I am on the planet until I reach the pole and then follow the existing tether line back to base. Granted, I don't get lost very much anymore, but it gives a lot of peace of mind knowing that I only need to follow the compass North to get back home if do get lost.

Edited by Flyingcrowbar