TMarcher74

Will be waiting for the dev team's reply, lets see what happen now.

Awesome!

I thought this issue had already been addressed...that the devs were active on the forum now. I still do agree though that they could pay some more attention to us. Thanks for sending them this!

Thanks for the post :)I'll pass this along to others on the team, especially about updating the forum with some of those requests and what's under our capacity to manage.

For the suggestions shared here:  we do read them, for what it's worth. While our team is primarily active on our Discord but we do see and talk a lot about things found else where, including here. We also read Discord, Twitter, Reddit, IG, etc. but I think the challenge is the capacity of those on the team to respond to everything they see. We just can't, but we do try to respond to things we see that we want to follow-up on.

Thanks again for shining a light on some things you all are hoping from us. I'll be sure to share this thread as well, for folks to see.

9 hours ago, SES_Adam said:

For the suggestions shared here:  we do read them, for what it's worth.

ok...you read them...awesome!

I'm just wondering...what would it take for a Suggestion/Idea thread to be implemented, even if not fully? How epic would the thread have to be for it even to be considered? Can I say that, by posting a thread, I have at least a .01% chance of it being added to the game?

I know this all may sound harsh, but all I'm doing is asking questions. I truly wonder about these things.

Why was the Suggestions and Ideas subforum created...just for us to aimlessly create posts expecting them to come to fruition... for us to spend our time drifting through the darkness of the countless threads?

Should I bother with posting all my cool ideas for this game here?

I'll clarify: That forum was made so we could get a window in to what folks want out of the game and the kinds of experiences they're hoping to have with Astroneer. That forum and the posts within are not guaranteed to be read, let alone 'implemented' in the game. We do our best to read them all but things will get missed. Also, in game development we're planning months and a year ahead. We have our road map laid out and understood months ahead of time. As a team we have a general understanding of what our entire 2020 year will look like for releases, features, and updates. Typically the suggestions made will then be used as reference or inspiration for our plans, rather than having a direct impact on our actual schedule of development. 

Bravo, @TMarcher74!

Let's not sugar-coat the issue: the forums are "dead" because of crass neglect, plain and simple. SES has focused on channeling all communications through Discord and twitter (the easy lazy smartphone way), when the forums should be as important a medium. Other members don't even come to the forums any more because they realized that posting here is like waiting for grass to grow.

Discord has its audience and appeal, but trying to have a lasting conversation on Discord with someone is like talking to the wind. Sure, you can scroll through dozens of irrelevant comments from everyone else until you find the one you want, if you have the time and patience. The beauty of the forums is that all conversations are kept in threads, not one big long useless feed that, apparently, is hard to monitor and moderate (I saw a few weeks ago an image of a giant male genitalia headset stand; really??).

Dev presence on the forums is not enough. There should be an active "Announcements" subforums (the last announcement there was a year ago when the game went 1.0), a "leek" sub-forum, etc. Make all released info available concurrently on ALL your communication channels, including the forums.

Truth of the matter is, Online Forums are dying in general, activity on forums as a whole is dying, it ain't like the 80's, 90's, and 00's anymore where they were king. Seems like people have gravitated to Reddit, Twitter, and Discord to replace forums. It's not a change I condemn either, it's just a new age. Pretty spiffy one at that, might I add.

Edited by The Power Of Grayskull

11 hours ago, vvhorus said:

Make all released info available concurrently on ALL your communication channels, including the forums.

Yeah, I really think we should have a Leak thread for all the drip feed information for the people that don't use discord, as discord's the only way to see any of it at this point

7 hours ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

Truth of the matter is, Online Forums are dying in general, activity on forums as a whole is dying, it ain't like the 80's, 90's, and 00's anymore where they were king. Seems like people have gravitated to Reddit, Twitter, and Discord to replace forums. It's not a change I condemn either, it's just a new age. Pretty spiffy one at that, might I add.

Sadly the truth.

11 hours ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

I partly disagree. As an example: if you play Warframe, go to their forums. They're running the same engine as here. Users and community managers there are pretty active. I'm also member of other game forums and they're pretty active as well.

Twitter, Discord and Reddit have their audiences, but not everyone likes or has the time to create multiple accounts on multiple social sites just to get a piece of info or look for answers. Besides, this is the official SES forum. If anything needs to be shared or announced pertaining the game, one would figure it would be here first...

Edited by vvhorus

On 2/10/2020 at 9:38 PM, vvhorus said:

Discord has its audience and appeal, but trying to have a lasting conversation on Discord with someone is like talking to the wind. Sure, you can scroll through dozens of irrelevant comments from everyone else until you find the one you want, if you have the time and patience. The beauty of the forums is that all conversations are kept in threads, not one big long useless feed that, apparently, is hard to monitor and moderate (I saw a few weeks ago an image of a giant male genitalia headset stand; really??).

There's no huge difference really. Forum threads can escalate just as much and become the same mess. The forum format merely gives less incentive to and keeps discussions more "rigid".
If you wanted a lasting conversation about the same topic on Discord, you'd move to DM's.

And one or two questionable images slipping through is really no example for "hard to moderate". That's just cherry picking. Moderating is about the same everywhere. If anything it's even easier on Discord, since we have more tools available there.

12 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

If you wanted a lasting conversation about the same topic on Discord, you'd move to DM's.

But then it becomes a private chat between two people instead of a public discussion where the entire community can participate. Big difference.

Like I said, Discord has its audience and it's great for mundane day-to-day chat, but for lasting public discussions, a community forum is the right tool.

1 hour ago, vvhorus said:

Like I said, Discord has its audience and it's great for mundane day-to-day chat, but for lasting public discussions, a community forum is the right tool.

Preference. I haven't gotten that feeling from any forum for a long time now.

3 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

Preference. I haven't gotten that feeling from any forum for a long time now.

You should join more forums, then. Perhaps the forums for the games you play are not as lively. Go to GTAForums, or Warframe's, even Ubisoft's, just to mention a few. That feeling will change very quickly.

If the devs do share your feeling (which I hope they don't), then they should just shut this forum down for lack of interest and player participation, so they can concentrate their efforts (LOLOL!!) on Discord/twitter. No more forums, no more people complaining that it's dead.

Edited by vvhorus

22 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

You should join more forums, then. Perhaps the forums for the games you play are not as lively. Go to GTAForums, or Warframe's, even Ubisoft's, just to mention a few. That feeling will change very quickly.

If the devs do share your feeling (which I hope they don't), then they should just shut this forum down for lack of interest and player participation, so they can concentrate their efforts (LOLOL!!) on Discord/twitter. No more forums, no more people complaining that it's dead.

You make a good point here, that I halfway agree with. Though I think your sentiments are often harsh and come off as combative.

19 minutes ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

You make a good point here, that I halfway agree with. Though I think your sentiments are often harsh and come off as combative.

It is not my intention to be combatant, but the frustration sometimes gets to me. This forum, like the game, has so much potential, but the lack of interest from the devs, especially the ones in charge of the forums, is eye-opening. It sends the wrong message. New players come to the forums looking for answers, and their questions might not be answered for days, potentially, because the system is set up to funnel everyone towards Discord...

A Discord server can, with some work, be adapted for slower and more thorough discussions, there are tools for that. It is still less effective than a forum, but since forum's dead, what can one do?

If death is officially confirmed, suggestion and bugreport sections can be moved to separate discord channels with a set of specific rules and a long cooldown, and then the corpse can be buried.

2 hours ago, vvhorus said:

That is in fact an option that has been mentioned. #JoeTime will show where this all will go soon enough.

You can't really have an open discussion about a specific topic without a forum. I'd say reddit, but upvotes determine what is even seen by everyone on there, and there's no organization, so it's not a perfect system even then. Worst part about this place being taken down would be my losing my goofy name and pofile pic 🥺 lol

8 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

That is in fact an option that has been mentioned. #JoeTime will show where this all will go soon enough.

Will be waiting

50 minutes ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

You can't really have an open discussion about a specific topic without a forum. I'd say reddit, but upvotes determine what is even seen by everyone on there, and there's no organization, so it's not a perfect system even then. Worst part about this place being taken down would be my losing my goofy name and pofile pic 🥺 lol

And also people on reddit want to be entertained/amazed/hyped by the posts ,they do not want to give their ideas (at least not all of them).

9 hours ago, vvhorus said:

This forum, like the game, has so much potential, but the lack of interest from the devs, especially the ones in charge of the forums, is eye-opening.

SES_Joe be like - Who you talking to? Me?

9 hours ago, vvhorus said:

New players come to the forums looking for answers, and their questions might not be answered for days, potentially, because the system is set up to funnel everyone towards Discord...

Very true, also when you write an email you will receive a message asking you to check the forums if the issue/idea has already been posted, pretty much looses the whole point if the forums is not in good shape.

On 2/10/2020 at 2:03 PM, SES_Adam said:

Thanks for the post :)I'll pass this along to others on the team, especially about updating the forum with some of those requests and what's under our capacity to manage.

For the suggestions shared here:  we do read them, for what it's worth. While our team is primarily active on our Discord but we do see and talk a lot about things found else where, including here. We also read Discord, Twitter, Reddit, IG, etc. but I think the challenge is the capacity of those on the team to respond to everything they see. We just can't, but we do try to respond to things we see that we want to follow-up on.

Thanks again for shining a light on some things you all are hoping from us. I'll be sure to share this thread as well, for folks to see.

But anyway SES_Adam is doing his best, maybe we should stop forcing/pushing them anymore than we have already asked them to, I think we might overdoing it. It's up-to them now if they want to do anything with the forums (felt bad, sorry).

Edited by TMarcher74

50 minutes ago, TMarcher74 said:

But anyway SES_Adam is doing his best, maybe we should stop forcing/pushing them anymore than we have already asked them to, I think we might overdoing it. It's up-to them now if they want to do anything with the forums (felt bad, sorry).

We were just discussing the topic really, it's no harm done. 👨

On 2/15/2020 at 1:42 AM, TMarcher74 said:

There are other employees within SES that are directly responsible for the forums...

Welp!! I missed the e-mail, my bad, as usual SES_Marc answered to the e-mail when I had given up hope of getting any reply but damn they actually did it.
Thank you @SES_Marc :) 

Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 8.19.05 PM.png

Edited by TMarcher74