TMarcher74

Will be waiting for the dev team's reply, lets see what happen now.

Posted (edited)

Redit and/or Discord (crap) CAN'T substitute forum platform.
It's sad really sad ppl throw away a tons of time listing on discord and searching for something what can be found on live forum in few sec.

Yea I know 'it obsolete, bad looking, not that 'awesome' like new technologies etc.
Discord Is good for one shriek but not for serious info mining ale searching for older info.

Yes I'm, older, I prefer clean info sources before 'awesome' looking blinking, animated shit like Discord.
I remember a lot of online games start. But I don't understand why ppl love discord more than 100 times better forum platform.

Sorry for offtopic.
Just restless and nervous waiting for dedicated server alfa/beta/anything release.

Edited by Casea

4 hours ago, Casea said:

Redit and/or Discord (crap) CAN'T substitute forum platform.
It's sad really sad ppl throw away a tons of time listing on discord and searching for something what can be found on live forum in few sec.

Yea I know 'it obsolete, bad looking, not that 'awesome' like new technologies etc.
Discord Is good for one shriek but not for serious info mining ale searching for older info.

Yes I'm, older, I prefer clean info sources before 'awesome' looking blinking, animated shit like Discord.
I remember a lot of online games start. But I don't understand why ppl love discord more than 100 times better forum platform.

There's less of a difference between all of this than you'd think. Reddit is literally just a forum without categories (although moderators can introduce filters through flairs) with votes everywhere (which do have their downsides too), although it can have threads within threads. It can easily replace a forum.

Discord isn't quite like a forum, but as you can see, it can perfectly replace one as well. It's way more fluent and less rigid than the way a forum works. Not to mention it's way more accessible and easier to use. While I am not exactly a fan of using numbers myself, you do certainly see the massive difference in interest. The most interested folks on the forums here are spam bots, while reddit and Discord are brimming with actual activity.

And really, it has nothing to do with "But this looks new and is new". All those things are, in the end, webpages. You could imagine this thread here like a channel on Discord. Make it quicker and more responsive, so that replies pop up instantly, and you essentially have something that works just like a Discord chat. Emotes, pictures, quotes, formatting...all of it. Also search function exists in Discord as well and important information is being condensed into appropriate channels, making it easier than ever to find it cause you don't even have to search for it to begin with.

tl;dr
This is the internet, a product of technological advancement. If you refuse new advancements out of habit, you'll end up with a lot of disappointment for no benefit.

Posted (edited)

Well discord is modish, good for new generation of teen players. Discord CAN'T compete with good forum. Never ever.
Discord is just IRC with graphic UI full of smiles (who need tons of spammed icons in seconds on screen?), full of garbage pictures (everyone is smart enough to drag and drop picture absolutely without any link to content of discussion).

Try not compare this almost-dead forum with living discord. Discord is chaotic. I know what I talking about. I have ~10 Discord games linked and it's really pain.

Redit is a little better than Discord. Less chaotic but forum is forum.

If you need help ASAP, Discord can be faster if someone know what you asking for. If not, your question dissappear from screen in 10-60sec. Topic created on forum stay on topic list forever.

and btw: new thing not automatically mean it's better. I can find a lot of examples but I thing you know what I mean.

Edited by Casea

On 3/4/2020 at 12:17 PM, Casea said:

Well discord is modish, good for new generation of teen players. Discord CAN'T compete with good forum. Never ever.

As I just explained, it perfectly can, and in fact, does. What you're stating is an opinion, not information. And your abrasive remarks are making it very clear that you just have an unreasonable bias against Discord in particular (yes, saying it's good for a particular age group, when that's entirely irrelevant, is fairly abrasive). I am not going to break down the rest of your mini-rant.
But again, you do not have to accept and use it yourself. That is perfectly fine. Just accept you'll be left behind for doing so and that's entirely on you.

I won't comment on this any further. SES already has made their point fairly clear as well. For better or worse, the fate of the forums is already decided.

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2020 at 12:06 PM, TMarcher74 said:

Joe answered!

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 10.32.20 PM.png

I could be abrasive or "combatant" and point out all the excuses for the self-sabotage which is stopping the growth of their own forum platform, but at this point I see it's all wasted energy.

Instead, I'm just going to respectfully suggest that if SES is in such a tight spot money-wise that they can't afford something as cheap as forum mods or another theme that allows more functionality, then I think the best course of action would be to take the No Man's Sky approach: close the forums and permanently move to Reddit. It's a more "hip" platform that many players use on a daily basis, and SES can save money on Invision monthly charges which can be put to better use.

Another option, of course, would be to switch to one of many true-and-tested open-source (read: free) forum platforms out there. Someone can set up a free Joomla/Wordpress server either hosted or in-premises and use one of their forum solutions.

In Spanish, we have a saying: "Querer es poder," which roughly translates as "to want is to be able to," and it's similar to "where there's a will, there's a way." Another one: "knowkedge is power." You get the point...

Edit: How's limiting the time on post edits for preventing spam working out so far?

Edited by vvhorus

Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2020 at 2:49 PM, Wyvyrias said:

As I just explained, it perfectly can, and in fact, does.

Well then you probably never seen good forum.
Your bad. Sorry.

It's like many programs these days. A new UI (BIG, chaotic), new options (which no-one-wants etc.)
I talked with ppl from these companies and ask why they changed XY. ALLWAYS response is 'because customers want it'. But no one from them can't tell me where they ask for this. And you know what interesting is? No one in my company, voice chat for many games, forums I watch ... again no one heard about these and almost everybody hate these changes (like forum -> discord).

If company prefer Discord over forum it's usualy because of $$$ not because users like it more.
If you stop fill one platform with information this lead to users move to supported platform. This have zero to do with 'I like it more'.

Edited by Casea

5 hours ago, Casea said:

Well then you probably never seen good forum.
Your bad. Sorry.

It's like many programs these days. A new UI (BIG, chaotic), new options (which no-one-wants etc.)
I talked with ppl from these companies and ask why they changed XY. ALLWAYS response is 'because customers want it'. But no one from them can't tell me where they ask for this. And you know what interesting is? No one in my company, voice chat for many games, forums I watch ... again no one heard about these and almost everybody hate these changes (like forum -> discord).

If company prefer Discord over forum it's usualy because of $$$ not because users like it more.
If you stop fill one platform with information this lead to users move to supported platform. This have zero to do with 'I like it more'.

Again, that is merely (and clearly) your opinion and own experience. You're free to think so, but you're wrong regardless. It doesn't even matter since clearly the majority is preferring the new platforms, otherwise they wouldn't be using them (not saying there aren't better alternatives, they're just way less convenient and hinder the whole communication aspect as result). If money was the reason, this forum would have been gone over a year ago as it clearly has not been worth it's costs for a long time.

But anyway, the forums being taken down is official now, there's no point in further discussing this. The reasons have been made clear (see Spicy's post above, as long as the VoD is up). All has been said and the decision is made, so I shall close this topic here and redirect you to the alternative platforms:

Discord: https://discord.gg/Astroneer

Reddit: https://discord.gg/Astroneer

Thanks for using the forums while they lasted.