Sign in to follow this  
ZeroEquals0ne

Item auto fill storage

So currently let's say you are mining with a crane for resources and have a large silo and a medium silo on that the rovers items will fill up first then the open spots on the large than a medium silo. can you guys make it so that the item that you have highly prioritizes going to the slot that is its size, not anything bigger? this would be so helpful also with chemistry labs, furnaces and packing for a space mission. ik the system is now optimized for speed but a little check so that it asks if there are any spaces that match the items size before throwing itself onto the storage. idk if this will be possible but i would really like it but not the biggest thing in the planet. 

I think I explained this somewhere else, and I am going to point out that I have almost no experience in CS, but here's my logic on why it behaves that way. I think, when an item is sent off the producing item (Drill, Chem. Lab, you name it), it searches for any available space on that platform, if there's none found, and it's on a rover, it will go to the next rover, or, if on a platform, it will search for available space on anything that's connected to the platform that can take an input, and, if there's nothing that can take an input, it will then search on the silo/storage for yet more silos/storages, like going up a tree, it goes through the trunk, finding available space, then it'll go to the large branches, finding available space, then to the leaves. And I believe that the problem with telling the output items to search for a medium silo/storage is that, if there isn't one, then it might get stuck, looking for an item that either isn't there, or doesn't have an available input slots. That's my take on it, and how it works in my head, again, I have almost no experience whatsoever in CS, I'm just a random dude who likes the game, and that's how I've made heads and tails of it. If you think it's wrong, it probably is. But that's the explanation I came up for it. 

TL;DR - Items go up an "input tree" looking for input slots, accepting the first one it will fit into, problem with asking the item to start at the leaves is that, if leaves are all in use, or there aren't any leaves, item might get stuck. Not a CS guy (For those of you who don't know, CS = Computer Science.)