TMarcher74

New way of scrapping stuff, first form cubes and then send them through the shredder for making scrap

Okay let me make my idea clear, first of all this idea is completely a new way to scrap things in Astroneer, my idea will require new items too.

• A machine attached to the front of the rover or placed on a platform, which would suck in scrap (if scrap is present at the mouth of the machine), this machine's function is to ingulf the scrap(like a harvester does to the fields) and then form huge cubes out of the scrap, these cubes can be fitted onto 2 slots only and can later be transported back to the base to finally be scrapped using the shredder. This machine cannot scrap stuff that is still in working conditions, to scrap them you will need a new too...

• A laser cutter, yes now we are talking about advance stuff, this cutter is used to destroy items which are too big for the machine above and also for items that are in proper working condition, the damaged scrap you get from this has to be put into the machine above.

This system of shredding makes more sense than the current one we have, what do you guys think about this idea, feel free to share your feedbacks and ideas :D
 @Killtech @vvhorus @The Touch of Grey Gamer

I have mentioned a Plasma cutter or Cutting torch before on several occasions, so I like your Laser cutter idea alot! I also like the idea of having a machine that would take "raw" scrap/debris and form it into easily transportable chunks that could be processed with the shredder to make "processed" scrap for loading onto the trade rocket. In your process, could the "raw" scrap still be processed by the shredder into "processed" scrap, or would everything need to go through the "intermediate" processor before it could be put into the shredder? Could some items still go straight into the shredder, but others would need the new processor in order to meet their final demise?   

I love this idea!

I think a new "compacter" machine would be pretty cool

This would solve the need to constantly have a shredder 1 tier larger than the largest in-game item, hence why we can't shred rockets... Yet!

Think of this: You no longer need that old small shuttle, but its too big to shred by itself, so what now? Well, you can place it in the compacter to compact it into smaller cubes. The more scrap-able items you provide, the larger the compact cube will be; ex: a large shuttle will be a 2 slot cube, allowing you to place another large shuttle or two small shuttles

What about those weird items that only give you 2/3 of a cube? Well, I have two solutions:

1: the compacter works similar to the shredder where you cant remove a compact cube until it is finished (maybe you can select the size of cube to produce with a slider) or just add more smaller items

2: Maybe the compacter works similar to a packager where its just a small place-able you can snap onto an object and it squeezes it into a small cube. You might also be able to combine two compact cubes (to an extent) and create a larger cube

Then once the cube is made (the largest being a large compact cube) you put it into the large shredder and it gives you scrap as usual

Image result for wall e cube gif

Idk, but I know SE will be interested in such a concept because I remember them highlighting the fact that if they were to add larger tier shredders, they might need to create a printer one tier larger to print it because the large printer can only print such a large shredder

Edited by EmeraldGamerr

9 hours ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

I have mentioned a Plasma cutter or Cutting torch before on several occasions, so I like your Laser cutter idea alot! I also like the idea of having a machine that would take "raw" scrap/debris and form it into easily transportable chunks that could be processed with the shredder to make "processed" scrap for loading onto the trade rocket. In your process, could the "raw" scrap still be processed by the shredder into "processed" scrap, or would everything need to go through the "intermediate" processor before it could be put into the shredder? Could some items still go straight into the shredder, but others would need the new processor in order to meet their final demise?   

First of all thank you for your reply :)

Everything does not have to go through the "intermediate" process, the intermediate process is just to help for the transportation of scrap that is littered around or that is of very less value but if combined with other scrap to form cubes of scrap, it would make transferring them back to base much easier too.

7 hours ago, EmeraldGamerr said:

I love this idea!

I think a new "compacter" machine would be pretty cool

This would solve the need to constantly have a shredder 1 tier larger than the largest in-game item, hence why we can't shred rockets... Yet!

Think of this: You no longer need that old small shuttle, but its too big to shred by itself, so what now? Well, you can place it in the compacter to compact it into smaller cubes. The more scrap-able items you provide, the larger the compact cube will be; ex: a large shuttle will be a 2 slot cube, allowing you to place another large shuttle or two small shuttles

What about those weird items that only give you 2/3 of a cube? Well, I have two solutions:

1: the compacter works similar to the shredder where you cant remove a compact cube until it is finished (maybe you can select the size of cube to produce with a slider) or just add more smaller items

2: Maybe the compacter works similar to a packager where its just a small place-able you can snap onto an object and it squeezes it into a small cube. You might also be able to combine two compact cubes (to an extent) and create a larger cube

Then once the cube is made (the largest being a large compact cube) you put it into the large shredder and it gives you scrap as usual

Image result for wall e cube gif

Idk, but I know SE will be interested in such a concept because I remember them highlighting the fact that if they were to add larger tier shredders, they might need to create a printer one tier larger to print it because the large printer can only print such a large shredder

Oh that gif defines my whole explanation, thank you for that gif, couldn't have shown it better, I hope SES sees this, idk if they would consider it though as you said.

We need some sort of dump trailer, and either a magnet or a claw attachment for the crane.

scrap-yard-magnet-i3.JPG

On 2/11/2020 at 1:40 AM, vvhorus said:

We need some sort of dump trailer, and either a magnet or a claw attachment for the crane.

scrap-yard-magnet-i3.JPG

Yep that would work too, but I just wanted to say that the current system of transporting scrap back to the base is really annoying and takes a lot of time to get those teeny tiny scrap.

2 minutes ago, TMarcher74 said:

Yep that would work too, but I just wanted to say that the current system of transporting scrap back to the base is really annoying and takes a lot of time to get those teeny tiny scrap.

Hence, the magnet idea. SES could also make a "magnetic beam" mod for the terrain tool so we don't have to pick up every tiny individual scrap piece, but, since the small/medium shredders can only do one piece at  a time (2 with the big shredder), this magnet mod idea might be a waste of development time unless we get something to dump the pieces in. So many possibilities.

I agree, the whole scrap collection mechanic sucks, for lack of a better word. That's why I don't even bother with it.

I like your scrap cube idea very much. It's very elegant. The laser cutter seems like a good idea, but I don't know how SES would implement it, or if they even have the resources to pull off something like that...

6 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

Hence, the magnet idea. SES could also make a "magnetic beam" mod for the terrain tool so we don't have to pick up every tiny individual scrap piece, but, since the small/medium shredders can only do one piece at  a time (2 with the big shredder), this magnet mod idea might be a waste of development time unless we get something to dump the pieces in. So many possibilities.

I agree, the whole scrap collection mechanic sucks, for lack of a better word. That's why I don't even bother with it.

I like your scrap cube idea very much. It's very elegant. The laser cutter seems like a good idea, but I don't know how SES would implement it, or if they even have the resources to pull off something like that...

This has the potential to introduce a whole new item!!  
- Magnetite ore
This magnetite ore can be smelted or has to worked in the chemistry lab to give you magnets.
It can introduce us to new items like the compass and the "magnetic beam" mod !!

Also thank you 😊 for the kind words

Edited by TMarcher74