ZeroEquals0ne

"Deep Space Storage Unit" late game storage unit for simple high capacity storage

Late games can get very cluttered and storage is a very big problem so I thought I would suggest this:  storage unite that holds items at a capacity similar to the backpack but they can only hold one type of item. So if someone just has tons of Astronium or something like that you could put it in there holding (IDK what would be balanced) let's say 30. It's in a small little space but right there if needed not spilling out needing several medium storage silos to fill. I imagine it being printed by the small printer or maybe a version that can hold 4 different types by the medium printer, it could be made with Astronium because steel won't explain that apparent shrinking of items into almost nothing. 

It would also be really cool to see some automation in this game, say you just got back from an interplanetary mining mission and you have tons of different items on one extra large silo. you could just throw it onto a special platform and it sorts it out maybe going into a smelter and then going to a DSST or just straight to a Chemistry Lab's storage. You could also send an automated tiny shuttle to another planet and have it automatically use the base that is there and get some gasses or it's expensive and can get the gasses on its own.

Thanks for reading! 

Well, the way the storage system works in Astro, that wouldn't quite fit, since SES turned away from the "virtual storage" kind of storage, with stuff like chests, and whatnot, which this kind of absolutely is. SES opted for a storage that you could always see what was there, there wasn't any kind of "inventory" to open, anywhere, just GUIs (Stuff with buttons, like printers, and research chambers, and the other machines), and this type of storage is absolutely more space efficient, but I don't think this type of storage fits with the others, but I'm glad you gave this some thought. Keep the ideas coming, and welcome to the forums! +1 for the MumboJumbo logo

Thanks for the response!

Interesting I am assuming SES is a developer? I am thinking like fairly big like you could see the full size item and a large number above it, you just shift-click or drag it out. no GUI, no inventory, it's just when you take it out instantly a new one appears. I totally get this not being parallel to the direction the devs want the game to go but I think it could be, if done right...

+1 for the notice! and +1 for the rapid response! 

Well, there's the problem, that number above the item, that IS an inventory, it's essentially giving you a data representation of how many items it has, and what items it has. It's like in Minecraft, you open your inventory, and you have a stack of 64 whatevers. When you place that down, it looks different, and the inventory amount decreases. 64 blocks placed in Minecraft look much different than those same 64 blocks in your inventory. It's still an inventory, unless it's physical, tangible items, that you can always see the scope of. I'm not trying to badmouth your idea, I really do like it, I just don't think it fits with the theme SES went for.

Ok, I see your point but I think this is no more an inventory as your backpack... if done right... the number may not have been the best idea but maybe they just shrink down to a similar size as on your backpack and get stored in a silo-like fashion. I don't agree that 

18 minutes ago, [7S]Vilynn said:

It's still an inventory, unless it's physical, tangible items, that you can always see the scope

I think that properly putting those 1 into a separate storage unit and 2 visualizing it the right way would still work... just because I grab the items in a different spot does not make them less tangible.... maybe this is just a really tall storage silo that can only hold one type and there is a slot that always has 1 of the item in it if any are available and its full size. but I don't think that's necessary. I mainly want this functionality though ^^ and on that point, I think that we agree but would be interested to know why if you don't. 

I do understand that this just might not be right but I disagree that it can't be or is not right for the reasons you are stating... and likewise I am not bashing you. Just respectful discussion. 

We've always been interested in the challenge of mass-quantity storage in a game like ours that normally has all of its inventory represented physically, and not through menus. There's some good ideas in here for how that may (or may not) be achieved. 🤔