SES_joe

Patch 1.9.8 - January 24th, 2020

Patch_Notes_Poster-Recovered.jpg

Steam players should receive this update today, January 24th, 2020.
Xbox 'Play Anywhere' and PS4 players should now see this update as well!

Update 1.9.8 is rolling out! This is a performance and quality of life focused patch that greatly improves framerates in multiplayer sessions. While testing this in house, we have been seeing speeds boosted significantly (2x-3x!) when playing with others. We are really happy with the results, but please let us know how things are going when playing with friends in all of your big saves. Work will continue on performance in both multiplayer and singleplayer and we will be keeping you all updated as we progress.

This update also includes some experimental changes to terrain that should greatly improve the control that you have to make flat surfaces for a much cleaner look. Let us know what you think!

Updates

Hot Swap Functionality

GIF2.gif

Players can now swap current held item when placing item on a currently occupied slot when clicked. If there is no empty slot, then the item your cursor is hovering over will be swapped with the item you are holding!

Updated shreddable objects
    Overhauled the properties of existing objects such as debris and platforms so that everything of large (Tier 3) size or smaller can be shredded to unify the shredding behavior of crafted objects and debris items to be consistent across the entire size set. Players now have a reliable way to remove objects from the game for scrap or to reduce clutter

• Medium Shredder: Shreds all T1 Objects 
    • Large Shredder: Shreds all T2 & T1 Objects
    • XL Shredder: Shreds all T3, T2, & T1 Objects

Air Controls
    Players can now toggle between roll or yaw vehicle controls mid-air by pressing the corresponding input:

• [Left shift] key on keyboard
    • X on Xbox Controller
    • Square on PS4 controller

Augment Power Toggle 
    Augments placed on the terrain tool can be toggled on or off via the corresponding use input while you have an augment highlighted: 

• [F] key on keyboard
    • X on Xbox controller
    • Square on PS4 Controller 

Low Storage UI

On Xbox and PC, if a save fails for any reason you should now see a popup notifying you of it. The pause menu will display error information about the last failed save. If it fails to save on quit, it will abort the quit, notify you that the save failed, and prompt you again to see if you want to cancel the quit or actually quit.

• On Xbox and Windows 10, there's an indication on the list of saved games that shows up if your save storage space is nearly full.
    • On Xbox and Windows 10, if an individual save file is getting close to the limit for save storage, then a warning will be shown in the pause menu while that save file is loaded.

Choose Language UI
    Players can now change the displayed language in game via the options menu.  

Return To Shelter
    Added a new menu option in the Quit tab of the main menu that allows you to return to your starting shelter! Use this to get out of sticky situations where your new save point has your save soft locked.

Performance Optimizations

• [Several tasks] Heavily optimized Unreal’s replication graph and added the Net-dormancy concept to many object types in order to cut down multiplayer lag/replication time by, depending on game state and save, up to a factor of 11 (This will be further improved with future revisions as we will add Dormancy to more object types)
    • Optimized power system to now work fully time sliced and async, thus saving up to 70% Game Thread time
    • Optimized Entity Component system book keeping loops to only run when needed
    • Optimized wind and solar panels to update in a time sliced manner, thus having a fixed performance footprint instead of scaling linearly
    • Optimized some expensive loops in VoxelVolume component that handle the finding of relevant nodes for all viewers (i.e. players)
    • Optimized the Researchable entity component loop to now also operate time sliced at a fixed cost
    • Optimized the way we handle Gravity.

That is all! Thanks for reading! Next time we talk I will be sharing more details about the roll out of dedicated servers!

-jt

This update is actually good even though it has no new additions to the game, this was the kind of update we were all looking for, the hot swap is really cool too.

Edited by TMarcher74

17 minutes ago, TMarcher74 said:

This update is actually good even though it has no new additions to the game, this was the kind of update we were all looking for, the hot swap is really cool too.

I agree 100%, in fact, I completely skipped the Christmas update, yet this one makes me want to play again.

That's great but where is True Flat?
    Or there will be another patch next week? Because Joe said on Z1 stream that next update will be huge improvements for perfomance but my performance situation has not changed. It feels like it’s even worse now than immediately after the release 1.0. Then at least at the beginning of a new game everything worked smoothly. Now I’m even starting a new game and it’s already 20-30 fps with minimal settings. 

I miss pre-release state. I then had stable 60-80 fps.

Old bug return - Smelting Furnace has no smelting sound but after it is moved with installed materials sound returns, after new job started again no sound :(

"True Flat" is mentioned right in the notes:

"This update also includes some experimental changes to terrain that should greatly improve the control that you have to make flat surfaces for a much cleaner look."

And to go further here is exactly what Joe said "The plan is....." is getting included now with future additions to the system and mention of a timeline.

18 hours ago, SES_joe said:

Next time we talk I will be sharing more details about the roll out of dedicated servers!

Dedicated Servers 😄 noice

Any plans on bringing the weather system back? What about the most suggested feature -> Trains and Rails?

On 1/24/2020 at 10:52 PM, SES_joe said:

Xbox 'Play Anywhere' and PS4 players can expect this to hit their consoles or Windows 10 machines later this weekend.

it’s now Monday and we’re still waiting 

smh

2 minutes ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

Not their fault. Both consoles put game updates through a certification process.

I dont think this has anything to do with certification, they've always been about the same time since release, I just think there improvements weren't as good for the console, I could understand a day behind from cert but were now at 3, I just want info if it had gone to cert, are they just waiting for it to pass cert or is there something else up, and if they had an eta

1 hour ago, mumbles mumbles said:

I dont think this has anything to do with certification, they've always been about the same time since release, I just think there improvements weren't as good for the console, I could understand a day behind from cert but were now at 3, I just want info if it had gone to cert, are they just waiting for it to pass cert or is there something else up, and if they had an eta

I've seen certification take literally months on rare occasions lol

2 hours ago, mumbles mumbles said:

I dont think this has anything to do with certification, they've always been about the same time since release,

They usually put the MS version through cert and get the green light before publishing it on both Steam and MS. They've previously held off pushing the Steam version until MS roll-out has started. Looks like MS didn't get it done Friday afternoon, so it became a Monday morning job. 

In the ps4 it still lags on multiplayer I am in my friends session right now an its still lags like crazy still the slowest frame rate an I can't move an inch without lagging 

Edited by chris sankey

35 minutes ago, chris sankey said:

In the ps4 it still lags on multiplayer I am in my friends session right now an its still lags like crazy still the slowest frame rate an I can't move an inch without lagging 

Does on my console too, played with friends earlier the other two didn’t really experience lag but I did and I was hosting... 

Worth noting we were on a game save before patch update will this make a difference?

Yeah idk if it's my old save(which shouldn't be a problem btw) but I'm not noticing a significant difference in performance(on Xbox). Kinda just as slow as usual tbh. It even crashed once on entering a vehicle like usual lol. Wish there was a performance mode I could use on my Xbox One X, I'd trade 4K for a good clean frame rate any day.

Edited by The Power Of Grayskull

7 minutes ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

Yeah idk if it's my old save(which shouldn't be a problem btw) but I'm not noticing a significant difference in performance(on Xbox). 

What about a new save?

This is so exciting! Thank you for your continuous hard work team! Looking forward to playing on the new patch!

Keep up the great work 😀💪

On 1/25/2020 at 1:38 AM, The Power Of Grayskull said:

I agree 100%, in fact, I completely skipped the Christmas update, yet this one makes me want to play again.

Yeah me also, until I tried to load my one and only save game (59.2 MB large) and it still won't load! 
    Since they can't get my one and only save up and running...I'm off to play some more Cities Skylines!