Sign in to follow this  
Yuval moses

true flat

Yeah!

A sign of sarcasm and tiredness of  1-sentence topic spitballs made by people who not only haven't read the "rules", but also  join the forum once to give their 2 cents and return to the anonymous darkness they arrived from

Or the 1st one¬†ūüė∂

On 1/12/2020 at 12:55 AM, The Power Of Grayskull said:

To hell with the rules, this is a good post.

I just want to add something that may get missed in the back-and-forth on True Flat (by both sides).

For many of us, True Flat was more than a caprice‚ÄĒit was something that added another dimension to the game. That dimension is base design. Right now, limited by the best we can do with the tool mods, we do more base arranging, because it's difficult to execute your vision when the mechanism is not there.

With True Flat, another aspect of creativity is unlocked, and that is the part where all of a sudden designing your base to your exact liking becomes a possibility. Slopes, ramps, tiered structures‚ÄĒI know for a fact I've given up on a lot of those when I know the best I can do will be an amorphous blob resembling a platform. I, for one, miss the gameplay element of designing and building my base and its elements exactly how I want them to be. Right now my "designing" consists of flattening a big enough patch of land and sprawling out the platforms so they don't get in the way too much. Gone are the days of carefully sculpting a support wall for your solar cells or turbines, or making a nice flat vehicle dock, or anything like that.

We understand that the developers may disagree about how crucial of a gameplay element this is (or not think it's at all, or perhaps only 0.1% of the players care), but like I said above, it certainly added something "else" to the game. Just go to YouTube and watch some old videos showcasing base designs. This is now gone (to a large extent) and I think the game lost something for it.

- g

7 hours ago, Hyler said:

We understand that the developers may disagree about how crucial of a gameplay element this is (or not think it's at all, or perhaps only 0.1% of the players care), but like I said above, it certainly added something "else" to the game.

I don't think the devs ever lost sight of how important this aspect of game play is.  From the very beginning, the ability to get "true flat" was an accidental feature.  Building with the terrain is an integral part of Astroneer so players discovering that they could manipulate it with precision was probably as exciting for the developers as it was for us. 

If you were fortunate enough to build with true flat, then you were playing during Early Access and probably remember that with each update it was necessary to start a fresh save.  In many cases, if you didn't, you'd begin to experience terrain seams and sometimes these seams would do untold damage to the things you built.  If you didn't end up with your build being literally torn apart at the seams, then it probably ended up covered in unwelcome trees, grass, and rocks.  You may have seen planets that looked like they were split into quarters.  Older worlds just didn't last very long, especially considering they more-or-less update the game monthly.

Things are quite different now, aside from the loss of flats.  When 1.0 first shipped, the mantle layers of Calidor, Vesania, and Glacio didn't have any special decorators in the deep caves.  That was added later.  There have been events such as the Summer Update that featured a special edition Beach Ball, the Lunar update that added the Lunar Lander and the limited time airbags with fireworks, The Wanderer Update which added a unique discoverable item to each planet and moon, The Groundwork Update which featured "spooky squash" you cold harvest and plant, and currently the Holiday Update where they have added limited time drops/toys to the game.  Any one of these things would have spelled disaster in the old terrain system (adding and/or removing features/items to the terrain).  This is all possible thanks to "Terrain 2.0".  

In their efforts to make the game update-able, which they did, they changed the thing that made flat happen.  A vocal minority has been calling for its return ever since, and SES has listened.  They acknowledged these players and put "True Flat 2.0" on their Development Roadmap.   More recently it seems as if they have been actively working on it  However, they do have their own plans and priorities for the game, so it makes sense that they didn't stop or delay other areas of development to wedge this in.  

9 hours ago, Gina said:

If you were fortunate enough to build with true flat, then you were playing during Early Access and probably remember that with each update it was necessary to start a fresh save.  In many cases, if you didn't, you'd begin to experience terrain seams and sometimes these seams would do untold damage to the things you built.

Yah, I did play back then, and I know True Flat was a side effect of how terrain was implemented. I guess my post ended up having a slightly different tone than how it sounded in my head.

I love the new terrain, and I am very glad things are the way they are, overall. I will take the terrain as it is today, with missing True Flat, than go back to the way it was and suffer all the other issues (and a big one was the way the Terrain Tool just broke on other planets, and making things flat over there was nigh impossible anyway).

My intention wasn't to be critical, and I have to admit‚ÄĒI have no idea what the actual numbers are behind how many people want this and that and so on. My head is a little bit of an echo chamber, and I fall in the trap of confirmation bias easily‚ÄĒwhen I see someone else talking about True Flat, even though that person may be 1 out of a 1,000, I feel like the whole community is on my side.¬† :-)

I guess I'm just hoping that True Flat makes it in sooner rather than later, and I'll patiently hold my breath with amicable anxiety to see when, and if, I can use it again.

- g

Something that I think should be added is the ability to not only do true flat, but true angular terrain modification, for example, make perfect 90¬ļ, 60¬ļ, 45¬ļ, etc. angles. It would be awesome to build perfect square/rectangular walls, or hexagonal/octagonal structures that look planned or futuristic and not like someone threw mud in a pile...

1 hour ago, vvhorus said:

[...] true angular terrain modification, for example, make perfect 90¬ļ, 60¬ļ, 45¬ļ, etc. angles. It would be awesome to build perfect square/rectangular walls, or hexagonal/octagonal structures that look planned [...]

Yes, I have some neat ideas about two- or three-story bases, or at least platforms if you're outside, flat walls and ceilings, maybe a vehicle bay or launch pad that's on the roof, etc. It would open a lot of basebuilding possibilities.

- g