mykbaker

Quality of life suggestions

I'd like to add my vote to the idea of a minimap with beacons and home base / shuttles highlighted. I have wasted way too much time trying to find my base again. :)

I also think it would be great to be able to see the direction of the power plugs when you pick up small items like generators.

The Navigation part has been around here all the time, don't expect anything to happen ;)

But I like the highlighting part!

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, mykbaker said:

I'd like to add my vote to the idea of a minimap with beacons and home base / shuttles highlighted. I have wasted way too much time trying to find my base again. :)

I also think it would be great to be able to see the direction of the power plugs when you pick up small items like generators.

I have had so much fun getting lost and/or falling down holes and having to figure out how get out. I feel that is such a big part of the game in the beginning. Getting lost and going on a bit of wander and learning how to navigate I discovered so many things whilst lost and still do. But that’s just me. I understand it can be really frustrating getting lost if that wasn’t the objective. It’s really easy to get turned around almost instantly in a cave system.

A mini map would definitely help but I do wonder if there isn’t a better more interesting solution to this problem. For example: maybe your character could help with an emote pointing way back to base or the shuttle if lost. The landscape generation could also be better in this regard too, there are too many landmarks that make navigation by sight quite tricky, too much of landscape looks the same. It’s a problem in all procedurally generated games, everything looks the same pretty much.

Another idea to keep the solution inline with the game concept (I like that there are no obtrusive UI graphical overlays common in other games which for me always feel a bit cheap and break immersion having to switch between the world of the game and the graphical world overlaying the game) might be he ability to fashion a special navigation module for your backpack like the probe scanner that will lock on to beacons or technology or bases. Something you could control. Perhaps a more sophisticated compass or map module.

How about taking this idea even further, creating a navigation satellite module you could launch into a geostationary orbit that would send you a ‘picture’ of the area below, a snapshot of the current landscape (tapping into the camera mechanic) to account for any changes you might have made (I often dig massive holes, big enough to fly a shuttle down several levels to!) to the landscape. That could be fun! 

Don’t get me wrong I’m not against the idea of a mini map but if implemented I would like to see it done so in a new and interesting way in keeping with the spirit of the game. It is a creative sandbox after all! 

🙂

Edited by dandanielordanny

I generally just set up my own GPS kind of thing, if I really want to not get lost. Involves a lot of beacons. Basically, go around the planet, and make a line of beacons going away from your base, and color them differently, with your base at one "pole". Or, the easier method, stay where you are for a bit, make a base, craft a shuttle, and figure out where you should go from there. I get that it's a little frustrating, but there are a few pathfinding tools you have at your disposal. The stars always orbit the equator, so if they are directly overhead, you're at the equator, you've got your compass, beacons, etc. A minimap kind of defeats the purpose of all that.