This is my first post on here. Please be kind.

Hello fellow Astroneers!
I have been thinking about automation for a while now. It is pretty tedious to not have a simple way of transporting items in the game, either its on a vehicle on your backpack. 

I am mostly focusing on underground use for the conveyors, but they are needed above ground too for short distances, i.e if you have a small table for a furnace/soil centrifuge and want to move the resources to a separate storage area.

Picture this: You are far underground, searching for a rare material. You only have 8 slots on your backpack, and you need a lot of it. Instead of having to go up and down that steep pathway several times, you can craft a conveyor belt that will transport the items back up that hill for you, saving you a lot of time.

• They wont supply oxygen
  • They should require power, either from the connecting table up top or from small batteries (Last conveyor should have 2 slots for small batteries, preferably on the sides)
    • They require Bytes to unlock
    • They should cost 1000 Bytes (Not a typo)
  • They are the same length as a regular cable/Extender
  • Requires "Backpack Printer"
    • They should cost 1 Copper, giving it a brown-ish/red look.

Now you might be thinking that this is way too OP and it should cost about 2000 instead of 1000. Well I had a thought mid-typing.

Introducing..

Conveyor Belt Mk. 2

• Still no oxygen
  • Still require power, now have space for 1 medium battery (front of last conveyor preferably)
  • Same length
  • Can now fit 2 items side by side.
  • Slightly faster than Mk.1
  • Should cost 2500 Bytes
  • Requires Small Printer
    • They should cost 1 Copper, and 1 Alumin(i)um, giving it a reddish look with white accents

And lastly, 

Conveyor Belt Mk. 3

• No oxygen
  • Still requires power
  • Slightly longer connector between them
  • Slightly faster than Mk.2
  • Can fit 2 medium batteries, 1 on each side of last conveyor
  • Should cost 3750 Bytes
  • Requires Small Printer
    • They should cost 1 Copper, and 1 Titanium, giving it a reddish look with "Titanium-like" accents.

All 3 should look similar to the Extender or Floodlight, Example: 
image.thumb.png.8120cbd748f27f88b00c430a3899b653.png

All 3 should also have the feet that makes it steady, as opposed to it flying around upon slightest touch.

I do not know what the actual belt should look like, maybe the belt can just be the power connector.

Please reply if I missed something, though I think I covered everything.

Thanks for reading, have a good day!

I think this is a great idea, and Astroneer has needed this for a very long time!

how would one connect the conveyers to platforms tho? Would it be connect via cable like an extender?

for example, if I wanted to move compound from one platform to another, how do I connect it to both platforms? Maybe you would need two and connect the two each to a slot on the platform, and then connect them together

finally, It could be a good idea that the advanced conveyors have filters on them, for example so that they only transport compound, resin, organic (basically filter by resource)

I think it’s a very good idea znopp   :)

On 12/31/2019 at 12:33 PM, AstroOnyx said:

how would one connect the conveyers to platforms tho? Would it be connect via cable like an extender?

for example, if I wanted to move compound from one platform to another, how do I connect it to both platforms? Maybe you would need two and connect the two each to a slot on the platform, and then connect them together

That's kind of the big problem in 3D. Most games tend to have point to point connections...

I love this idea for both it’s practically and the creative possibilities it presents. It also feels very feasible given the extender mechanic. I imagine the conveyer to be an upgrade on the extender carry both power and resources. Maybe even combine with the splitter somehow. I have a really strong need for some kind of conveyer mechanic in my current save. I have some excellent resource deposits close to my base but just a little too far to build out too currently. It would be great to build a crane at the resource location and connect it back to storage at the base using conveyors!

I also like the idea to have some automation, my approach would be to have small pipes connecting platforms directly in a managed way:

On 1/4/2020 at 10:43 AM, Igoooor said:

I also like the idea to have some automation, my approach would be to have small pipes connecting platforms directly in a managed way:

I like the point-to-point transfer idea. As much as I would love to see a conveyor belt full of Astronium making its way up the ramp out of the cave to my preprogrammed Chemistry Lab (connected via conveyor belt to my Atmosphere Condenser) pumping out Hydrazine I wonder if that would be too much for my PS4 to handle, graphically speaking!

Point-to-point (which to my mind would be items popping out of storage on one platform and popping up in another sounds more feasible. Interestingly, I noticed during the No Clip documentary footage of an early build with with what appeared to be conveyors or something like your point-to-point transfer. Link below. 

32:21

This idea is on the Astoneer update roadmap, and when I saw it on there I was like "yessss" This would be a very cool idea and you could really see people doing amazing things with this, including myself (or I would try) Overall great idea that should be implemented.

Conveyor belt? How about conveyor rails? I think the conveyor rails like make much easy to connect. And the design is neat. (Just thinking about this: Conveyor rail + Tier 1 slot)

Just add a straight rail and a curved rail, and when placing and connecting, just unpack the package on the ground and attach the rail modules to each other.

In my opinion, the conveyor rail would be a good combination with the robotic arm that will be added to the Automation Update.