FrobeniusDF

PS4 Crash while entering Rover/Ship/Home

I'd like to say, before anything, that I'm loving Astroneer. I'm playing on PS4 Pro, updated to the newest system version (7.01) and have just updated Astroneer.

Unfortunately, I'm very disappointed that I can't progress with the history of the game and all solve Its mysteries. I already have more than 40h of gameplay, exploring the caves, the surface and activating every sigle Gateway Chambers. Beside, I feel bad about not being able to attend the Holiday Update event to benefit the Seattle Children's Hospital.

So, I'm stuck in Vesania. Whenever I activate Vesania's Core Gateway Engine upon returning to the surface, the game always crashes while entering the rover or the ship.

Without activating Vesania's Gateway Engine, between 10 times I get inside vehicles, 1 or 2 times (in 10) the game crashes and I lose everything after the previous save.

So, I find myself in a complicated situation: i) With about 40 hours of play, I start another game and run the risk that everything might happen again? In this case, I'll lose all the rare Zebra/Checker Balls I have encountered along the way and all my hard earned progress???; ii) Forget now Vesania's Gateway Engine and return to Glacio where are the toys?

In the meantime, I hope you can look into the problems, errors, crashes, bugs and glitches that plague Astroneer on PS4. There are some of them. I won't extend much here, but for example, the save I have on PS4 Pro I can't export it to PS4 Slim at all. The save doesn't even open and the game crashes on Slim trying to load it. Other erros I will send in the future.

20191217184450.jpg

18 12 2019 (14h45).png

20191217_120326.jpg

20191217184435.jpg

Same issue here. CE-34878-0. Sometimes I can save in the rover up to 3 times without crashing, but usually only once or twice. I can't fly the rocket and save successfully afterward at all.

I'm "happy" for the System Era team who are on holiday leave until January 6th. I was going to spend my holiday playing Astroneer, but all I'm doing is regretting spending 30 bucks and wasting 50-plus hours. 

I'll add to this>  PS4 Slim.

I now have a 19.93MB save that will crash practically on demand on my PS4 when jumping into a rover.

I'd be willing to upload it to help test if that's a thing.

All 7 planets discovered.

All items learned/unlocked through Bytes with ~60,000 more bytes stored up.

4 planets have all surface gateways unlocked, no cores unlocked yet.

Apollo 11 discover (not that you get any credit for it on PS4)

3 of the Wanderer probes discovered.

Barely any strings of tethers left about.

1 base on each planet, Sylvia is the main one with all my storage and production, all other planets have a few platforms, oxygenator, power and condensers.

1600 points towards CHEER reward earned.

Tried replacing my PS4 HDD with an SSD, completely fresh install on new SSD, and only loaded my Astroneer save, game load times are now spectacular, however now crashing on save when jumping into my Rover on Sylvia where my main base is after upgrading and unlocking all surface gates on Glacio and going back to Sylvia.

Saving in the default habitat does not crash (yet) but I'm at a wall now for any further progress until the crashes are resolved.

Rebuilding PS4 Database no longer helps.

Even just walking around the base turns into a slideshow at times, even with no research running.

One thing I do realize is that in all my planetary circumnavigations, I have left a trail of unwanted materials behind from drilling/paving due to no room in the rover, and this became a serious problem right after finishing unlocking all surface nodes on Glacio and going back to Sylvia.

I have the same problem. Over 50 errors for last 3 days. Continue is impossible. Im start new game. In my opinions, problem is with the size of savefile. When you start new game, the size is 7,35MB, and if you reach 16,78MB, its over. Just watch the size, and dont let it reach to 16,78MB.

45 minutes ago, adrian-hip said:

I have the same problem. Over 50 errors for last 3 days. Continue is impossible. Im start new game. In my opinions, problem is with the size of savefile. When you start new game, the size is 7,35MB, and if you reach 16,78MB, its over. Just watch the size, and dont let it reach to 16,78MB.

I received an email from System Era, regarding the crashes. By the end of this month (probably, they are making their best) they'll launch and update focused on optimization and crashes. I hope our crashes will be vanished soon. 

I found someone is saying in the Discord that the optimization patch should/will be Monday.

Guess we'll see.

Neither of the two recent patches helped regarding the crashes. I can drive for a little ways and jump into a rover ONCE to save, it will crash on the second try to save. But if I fly somewhere in the rocket and land, any attempt to save crashes. My save is 22 MB, but I have very little on the planet that I'm on, and I can't get to another planet to destroy some stuff and save my progress. Very disappointing...

This seems to be a thing on all systems, Steam version on PC, sad progress compared to most (still on first planet), but after riding around the planet on a tractor with trailer collecting every solar panel and small turbine, it seems like it ramps up RAM usage (at least on Windows 10) every time you "mount" a vehicle or enter a structure, to where I will have 75% of my RAM occupied by the game. Not a fan of the bug, but visually, I can say the game is amazing, not sorry at all I've owned it since 2017....but I wish I could ride/camp more than 10 times before my computer locks up the window and forces me to end task because it can't....figure out what to do. I am not a coder/programmer, but seems like it's just shoving what would be a save file into the cache. I don't have a crash report (due to full computer lockup/End Task solution), but it seems like having 12GB of my 16 (not a hardcore rig, I know) all swallowed up, that's all I can manage to do. I still play, but having to Save and Quit (fully) to clear the memory is a little....grating.

Same problem with me I unlocked every gateway until glacio everytime i get into the rover or spaceship to save it crashes I deleted and reinstalled the game it doesn't help the problem. I started a new play through it still happens. They really need to fix this I have given up on this game which is a shame because it really is a beautiful game.

Same issue here, XB1S all gateways and cores open except for Glacio and Atrox. 2 bases: Sylva & Desolo. Is anyone else also experiencing the hang while entering vehicles/based? I feel like I'm back in New Vegas! 😞

Same issue. I have about at most 5 enters of any vehicle (Base, Rocket, Rover) and then it's crash back to the Xbox One X desktop. Launching off an external SSD, but the save file (about 14 megabytes) is only savable on the internal HDD.

I find it really odd that I can't disable Saves when entering a vehicle. Fallout 4 on Xbox One had a similar bug with the PitBoy, but at least I could disable it's too frequent saves and do them manually.

I have 3 more surface gates to unlock on Vesania (my last planet), then drill to the core and I'm basically done.

Okay my last post on this because I've unlocked all the gates and I'm going to uninstall Astroneer on my Xbox One X and play other stable games.

- Once your save file hits 9 megs in size, it start crashing about 20% of the time when you enter a vehicle. Once you hit ~ 16 megs it crashes just about every time. The only workaround is to use the "Save and Quit to main menu" option. That crashed for me once in about 15 saves and is the only way to advance save progress. However, then you have to wait several minutes afterwards for it to re-load the Solar Systems in. Better than nothing, but not much.

- Every gate you find and solve adds a largish chunk to your save file. I went from 9 megs to 16 megs after adding about 14 gates. In between this I built practically nothing (other than collecting materials for Fuel and Graphite) and actually picked up and deleted (with a shredder) a lot of tethers. Why this is growing that big, I don't know.

- Playing the game at 4K and in HDR on an Xbox One X is like watching molasses pour out of a glass at -40° C/F. Performance is abysmal. Even 1080p in  8bit non HDR can be painful.

- The game needs a re-think at startup. Rather than loading the Solar System at start up, it should take us to the Tutorial and Load Game menus. Once you make a choice then it should load in the appropriate world. Loading this in twice makes no sense and just delays game play.

I could go on, but there doesn't seem to be any point. The Official Forums are dead and other than players talking, there is no help or responses from anyone for the company. I realize your a small company, but if your going to have your own forums, someone better be at least responding.

I know that System Era is a small developer. But there are things that are priority to players, specially console players: Stability and Performance. If a company releases a game for a console, say, PS4, at least, someone on the company must play the game in such a way that pushes It to the limit, like us. In the other side, Sony (or Microsoft) must receive the billions of crash reports and make things happen, making contact with System Era and demand actions. But, unfortunatedly, this is not happening. I'm from Brazil, I've called Sony, complained about my and other players crashes and they said that just can't do anything. So, what is the point of sending crashes report?? I assume that with XBox, the same thing is happening.

PS4 players can't even play together with others without a frame rate drop. I'm playing on PS4, unlocked all Gateway Chambers and Engines, less on Atrox. My save has 34 Mb. What I've discovered so far is that If I save on Field Shelter (Silicon + Graphene), my crash rate decreases a lot. Worked for me. Now I have a Field Shelter on each planet/moon. The way that the game is now, I avoid saving on rovers or ship. I suppose the problem must have to do with vehicles and not so connected to the size of the saves. Who knows?? System Era?? I don't think so. I think I know more than System Era guys...

Since the release of No Man's Sky on PS4, I've never seen such a glitched game and with so lack of support as Astroneer. Now, NMS has a good support on PS4 and is far from getting to an end. What about Astronner? For me, is a game made for PC. Support, updates, testing, improvements, dedicated servers, patches, all stay with PC. Console players take nothing. So, why they released Astroneer for PS4??

What I'm doing? Every single Twitter/Facebook/Instagram post, I'm there to send a picture of my crashes or pictures related to the crashes, using hashtags related to System Era and Astroneer. If my companions on this forum could do the same, I think It could make more impact.

photo5109496075932248195.jpg

photo5109496075932248194.jpg

Hi Roberto (and everyone else in this thread), it's good to hear from you again, though I'm sorry this is still causing so much frustration for you.

While you should feel more than free to express your opinion on social media, I'd like to address your concerns again. It's true we're a small company, and as such our in-house QA team is also quite small (though very dedicated). This means that while we test as much as we can, we will never be able to match the amount of play time thousands of players have upon release.

We've dedicated the better part of 2020 to addressing performance on all platforms, especially console! We've had 1 major update in January that was aimed entirely at optimization, in addition to 2 hot fixes that were specific to console in order to address crash issues that we were able to identify thanks to user-made crash reports.

On that note, crash reports are very helpful for us - as you pointed out Sony can't really do much with the crash reports themselves, but they are forwarded to us. In fact, Sony does and has contacted us when they receive more than an average amount of reports so that they can ensure we're made aware of the issue. 

While I hope we can continue to assure you that we're not ignoring the console versions of the game, the feedback provided to us is always welcome - while looking at reports and analytics can be helpful, it will almost always be better for us to hear about issues directly from players, which we use to help us decide priority when considering our future updates.

All in all, please feel free to continue to provide us with your experiences with the game, but I hope that we can assure you of our commitment to improving the game on all platforms!

Thanks for your attention here and on email. After a lot of crashes I've just finished Astroneer on PS4 (got platinum too) .What a great game. But I can tell you that I must have faced more than 100 crashes. Please, don't forget consoles.

25 minutes ago, FrobeniusDF said:

Thanks for your attention here and on email. After a lot of crashes I've just finished Astroneer on PS4 (got platinum too) .What a great game. But I can tell you that I must have faced more than 100 crashes. Please, don't forget consoles.

Just to mention, I've got the Trophy "EXO Dynamics Solar System Mastery" and the golden Palette "Overachiever" didn't unlock.