Sign in to follow this  
Flyingcrowbar

Methane powered generator

We have generators that run on organic, and carbon fuel. Since methane is also a fuel, why not have a generator that runs on that, or, better yet, why not let the current generators also use methane as a fuel source.

In the long scheme of things, I really prefer to build the RTG as my power source since it requires no external fuel. However, it seems to me that the other generators could be upgraded to use methane as fuel. @TMarcher74, if this change were to come about, how would it be an unlimited power source?  I assume that the generators would deplete the methane over time and would need to be refueled. What am I missing?

14 hours ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

In the long scheme of things, I really prefer to build the RTG as my power source since it requires no external fuel. However, it seems to me that the other generators could be upgraded to use methane as fuel. @TMarcher74, if this change were to come about, how would it be an unlimited power source?  I assume that the generators would deplete the methane over time and would need to be refueled. What am I missing?

TBH, I would like methane generators over RTGs, because they at least need to be extracted from the atmosphere, RTGs are overpowered since they produce infinite amount of power, I like your idea, +1.

Maybe this should be an alternative for powering rovers.  With no reliable wind source, and a somewhat lack of planet life, some places like Desolo and deep mining operations could use some kind of fuel source... for when we aren't literally basking in the short sunlife and don't yet have RTGs.

Edited by Daya

Well, it's infinite power because a methane generator would make power, and you could shove that power into an atmospheric condenser... which then makes methane.

This is just semantics though.  I can go and get a bunch of batteries and do the same.  Or a soil centrifuge and just keep making organics for running small generators, or go that extra step for medium generators.

I'm not saying we should be able to power up an atmospheric condensor indeffinately. 
This idea should be more along the lines of build up enough methane that you can bottle it and run it in a generator on a rover and not have to worry about needing to lug a battery down there. 

Really though, it may sound like infinite power, but its really not.  You do need to also remember you can't get methane on every planet, so you'll have to go back and get more anyhow eventually.  Solar and wind provide "infinite" power as they never need repairs but always work when the sun is out or the wind blowing.  Generators take a resource to make power, that is what you call "Finite".

To address your specific concern, its a real simple fix.  You take the generator that will take methane and make sure it will not put out enough power on its own to power up the atmospheric condenser.

Edited by Daya

On 12/4/2019 at 12:27 AM, Flyingcrowbar said:

We have generators that run on organic, and carbon fuel. Since methane is also a fuel, why not have a generator that runs on that, or, better yet, why not let the current generators also use methane as a fuel source. 

ok, ok, someone here has to be the five-year-old in this group, so i guess it's going to be me....

PPHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

*Snicker*

😄