Bargeral

Bring back hazards

An idea for introducing some challenge back into the game without overwhelming new players. Sylva becomes safer with free air, but getting air elsewhere becomes more difficult. Hazards such as storms are back, but new tools allow a players to prep better.  

Resources

• New resource Gas: Oxygen.
  • New resource: Ice. (since there is no liquid water in game)
  • Damaged resource: Equivalent to scrap - blackened charred filter over existing art. Cannot be used as a resource (except scrapping).

New hazards:

• Wind storms - as before - Rockets tip over, tethers tip and disconnect. Un-connected platforms slide.
  • Lightening strikes - discolors ground, damages resources and buildings. Destroys rocket engines but not the rocket.
  • Meteor strikes - deforms terrain, damages resources and buildings.
  • Hail - Damages players, Leaves Ice behind. Pops building connections. Destroys tethers.
  • Radiation - damages player. Buildings can randomly turn off. 
  • Heat -Damages player. Some building overheat and shut down.
  • Cold - damages player, Vehicles are slowed.  Randomly the "start" button on some buildings will ice over and has to be clicked a bunch to unstuck.

New suit augments

• Heater
  • Cooler
  • Radiation shielding

New oxygenator types or augments

• Lighting rod Grounded tether/cables
  • Heated tether/cables
  • Cooled tether/cables

General

• Oxygen Filters don't work on planets without Oxygen. 
  • Oxygenators now require ICE
  • Sylva does not require O2 tanks or tethers at all.
  • Vehicles now require oxygenators to provide o2
  • Get rid of the free starting items.

Player progression.

New players start on Sylvia as a capsule lands very roughly. When the player X to exit the capsule door blows and the capsule is now an old style capsule seat.   A giant box lands next to them, starting shelter. No starting items (starting pad, oxygenator, printer, platform). As Sylva is now free air planet, players can explore and move about. Once the shelter is built another box drops form orbit containing a Buggy - which the player can mount the old capsule onto.  This gets the player motivated to figure out how to print a generator or such and go explore. Players will discover that tall mountains contain no air and can learn tethers. Players will discover that the underground contains bad air and can learn filters. Storms are mild and can be weathered on the surface, but expose the player to the concept of taking shelter. 

Deslo teaches the need to bring air or ice/oxygenators well as tethers. Also shows that filters are useless without O2 in the air. 

Progressively more dangerous planets introduce hazards and solutions as the player explores - heat and cold on Galcio and Calador. Radiation and more dangerous storms. Etc. 

i very much approve on these ideas... mostly becuase i have written down a similar list myself some time ago :). my post has a dev response, so you might want to check it out.

34 minutes ago, Killtech said:

i very much approve on these ideas... mostly becuase i have written down a similar list myself some time ago :). my post has a dev response, so you might want to check it out

Neat, thanks for that. 

This is well balanced, not to dangerous to kill us on sight, but also not to weak for players to go "meh" when they see an event on the horizon.

Personaly approved:👍

I think the difficulty is well set for the new players (watch some '1st game' stream, it's not so easy 😉 )
But, we may one day be able to move to another more difficult planetary system ... we know where the door is 🙂