SES_joe

The Creative Update - November 15th, 2019

So, i had a go with this creative update thing..... didn't ask for it, but what the hey, might as well take it for a spin around the block, see how it handles, right? Astroneer has been a little dull of late, there's at least a slim chance that this could bring some of that old spark back.

first off, switched all the limitations off. power, fuel, O2. ran around for a while, kicked over a few rocks, turned the valley floor vivid pink. chewed through the planet like it was a peach and i was a worm. Went to the core, did a little dance there, peach - wormed my way back. fell out of the sky and didn't die. wrote my name in mountains.

fun? for a while. what else can i do?

I decided to walk to the moon. because it's there, right? So, froze time, shot a sloping ramp up to where Desolo sat. got past the clouds, things started to get super slow. Desolo got bigger, but flatly refused to rez up, just stayed a bunch of kiddie blocks in a rough sphere. eventually hit a magic wall of nothing that ended my fun. actually got caught on it, couldn't move in or out. quitting the game and reloading didn't fix it. in the end i switched my O2 back on and died myself free.

so, can't do that. beginning to feel the real limits of the so-called 'unlimited' creative mode.

I probably wont be going back to this. modes that remove the play restrictions also remove the reasons to play those games. There's a genuine reason why these kind of things are called 'God Mode'. Gods lack mortal limitations, but they also lack a real reason to engage with the world. Gods are aloof, uncaring, bored, and frankly rather boring.

I don't want to be a God. I want to be an explorer, a pioneer, a researcher, a daredevil, an architect, a genius, a child. I want to be an ASTRONEER.

You guys give me someplace to be those things, and we might just have our spark back.

On 11/24/2019 at 7:55 AM, Mio said:

@kilowas it seriously necessary to quote whole patch notes in order to write these two lines? :\

I have no slightest idea why ppl doing this again and again and again...

Simply report such posts without commenting on them. Moderators are perfectly able to edit posts.

Also lets not be harsh with things that don't deserve that treatment.
The game is not meant to be challenging. If you bought it for a survival experience, you didn't read what you were buying.
And the lack of true flat, while annoying, is not really game breaking either. OCD triggering? Yes. Worth making a fuss over? Nah. They'll fix it eventually, if possible.

On 11/25/2019 at 10:12 PM, Bron said:

I don't want to be a God. I want to be an explorer, a pioneer, a researcher, a daredevil, an architect, a genius, a child. I want to be an ASTRONEER.

You guys give me someplace to be those things, and we might just have our spark back.

+1

Also, why the Announcements sub-forum remains abandoned? Last time someone from SES posted an announcement there was back in October, 2018...

It's like they're slowly abandoning these forums on purpose...

On 11/26/2019 at 8:15 PM, vvhorus said:

It's like they're slowly abandoning these forums on purpose...

LOL, ya think? LOL

+1

On 11/26/2019 at 3:54 PM, Wyvyrias said:

If you bought it for a survival experience, you didn't read what you were buying.

Astroneer is set during the 25th century’s Intergalactic Age of Discovery, where Astroneers explore the frontiers of outer space, risking their lives in harsh environments to unearth rare discoveries and unlock the mysteries of the universe.  
"Risking their lives in harsh environments"

That sure sounds like survival to me

3 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Astroneer is set during the 25th century’s Intergalactic Age of Discovery, where Astroneers explore the frontiers of outer space, risking their lives in harsh environments to unearth rare discoveries and unlock the mysteries of the universe.  
"Risking their lives in harsh environments"

That sure sounds like survival to me

I think a revision of that summary is in order...

On 11/26/2019 at 8:33 PM, vvhorus said:

Well, lets really delve into it. When I first started playing there were NO tethers. So that is not survival either? 
So don't I survive to play? 

On 11/26/2019 at 8:33 PM, vvhorus said:

What part? The 25th century part? 🤣🤪🤫

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

On 11/26/2019 at 8:35 PM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Well, lets really delve into it. When I first started playing there were NO tethers. So that is not survival either? 
So don't I survive to play? 

We shall delve. In Astroneer, we all need oxygen to survive. That might give you a clue as to what kind of game Astroneer is...

On 11/26/2019 at 8:39 PM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

What part? The 25th century part? 🤣🤪🤫

I was thinking the whole damn thing... 😂

I think that it's a complete exaggeration of the game's concept. Yes, you do explore and you risk your life, but that's about it. The rest I'm still trying to find...

Still having a save issue through gamepass on PC. The game simply will not create a save file, and it lost me a 10 hour cross save from the Xbox. Any help here is appreciated, or am I just screwed until the game is fixed (if it gets fixed)?

On 11/26/2019 at 10:54 AM, Wyvyrias said:

If you bought it for a survival experience, you didn't read what you were buying.

Within the very first few seconds of this interview Aaron says...."Astroneer is a space, exploration, survival game"

9 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Within the very first few seconds of this interview Aaron says...."Astroneer is a space, exploration, survival game"

I am not gonna argue about what SES is saying, but Astroneer definitely is not a game that anyone, who familiar with survival games, would call a survival game. Oxygen is all you need, it's essentially infinite (as long as you stay on tethers) and hazards are extremely easy to avoid. And in case you die anyway, you simply respawn at your last habitat/shuttle. No real consequences.
The bare minimum for a survival game would be things that push you to act, such as food, water, a constant threat chasing you, something that will make you lose almost all or all your progress. None of that exists in Astroneer.
I feel like the "Space exploration, survival game" thing is just something they roll with. For people who never touched any games, I am sure it would seem survival enough. Knowing it, I'd never call it a survival game, though.

18 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

I am not gonna argue about what SES is saying, but Astroneer definitely is not a game that anyone, who familiar with survival games, would call a survival game. Oxygen is all you need, it's essentially infinite (as long as you stay on tethers) and hazards are extremely easy to avoid. And in case you die anyway, you simply respawn at your last habitat/shuttle. No real consequences.
The bare minimum for a survival game would be things that push you to act, such as food, water, a constant threat chasing you, something that will make you lose almost all or all your progress. None of that exists in Astroneer.
I feel like the "Space exploration, survival game" thing is just something they roll with. For people who never touched any games, I am sure it would seem survival enough. Knowing it, I'd never call it a survival game, though.

+1
Thanks for the insight and information!

Yeah, but nothing new. At the moment is a game about storages. To store resources. To build more and fancier storages.

Edited by Nekudotaim