The Power Of Grayskull

habitats, what are they good for?

aaaabsolutely, nothin'!  (Wink if you get the reference)

However what Are habitats good for? Well there Used to be storms and you'd use the habitat to sit for like 2 minutes while you get a drink or check your phone so you don't have to watch yourself fly back down to the planet for an extra 2 minutes. I don't advocate for the return of storms, I like being able to leave my shib on the ground without it flying away forever every 30 minutes. So what now you just use them to save? You could use a seat to do that, any of your vehicles, and if you're on console you get to spend 10 seconds frozen hoping that the game isn't going to crash and you didn't just lose hours of work. I've always thought that Habitats could benefit from taking a page out of Slime Rancher's book, make a cute cozy inside visual, allow the quick passage of time, and maybe astro mail, I'd even sacrifice some convenience to give it some more usefulness as a wardrobe for changing suits and cosmetics. I mean it makes sense that you'd only be able to change suits in a habitat, what do you think?

Why even make a portable habitat?? The only function it serves is also served by vehicles which are literally a means of transportation, I mean come on.

Edited by The Power Of Grayskull

7 hours ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

Why the bell would I get out of my vehicle, set down a mini habitat, save, then waste a packager to pick it back up and then save the game again when I get back in my vehicle?

Well, I wouldn't package it. I'd leave the hab. Habs are cheap. Why have just one? Spread the hab luv! Hab you Astroneered today?

I can vision scenarios where players would leave multiple habs while playing as a means of saving the game, playing a slower or at a more traditional pace. 
Maybe a more historically style of gameplay where jetpacks are not allowed? 
Maybe someone (or maybe more likely in a MP game), some would want the challenge of trying to play tether free? 
Maybe some would use it as a prop at their home base?
Maybe if someone wanted a homebase free of tethers then multiple habs could be placed to provide all the oxygen needed to have a tether free base? A base free of tethers, that is a beautiful thing! And, my new mission!!!!

There may be even more scenarios in which a hab could be used. 
Viva La Montreal! 

Why tethers being so much a thing? I am using 2 stacks of them to start the game, then picking those up and it decorates my scrap yard for the rest of the game :) And habitats - building only big one and only in multiplayer for respawn reasons in case someone took the shuttle :D

8 hours ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

I like being able to leave my shib on the ground without it flying away forever every 30 minutes.

Remember when you had to dig a storage hole to put your stuff in to keep it from blowing away and then figuring out that your stuff was slowly disappearing by sinking into the ground and "magically" relocating to a random location in a cave somewhere. That was during EA (early access) for anyone that doesn't remember.

6 minutes ago, Mio said:

Why tethers being so much a thing? 

For me, tethers prevent exploration. Real exploration, true exploration. They prevent one from getting lost. To me I can't explore if I can't get lost. Can you think of any explorers throughout history that used tethers?

Second, they were never used. Even in 1969 man walked on the moon tether free! With this game taking place some 500 years into the future, the world and all its inhabitants would not have developed something more advanced than tethers? Another example of the total disregard for SES's own timeline. Look at the new big blue box pic that was leaked. It has the same locking mechanism that the trucking/transportation industry has used for generations. Again, in hundred upon hundreds of years, humans would not have improve upon that technology? Even in space travel? 

Third, I wish they were optional. From the beginning of gameplay. I wish that those that wanted to use tethers could and those that don't wouldn't be forced to. I'm talking from minute one of gameplay. Not God mode, real playing. 

Fourth, did you know that way back when in December of 2016 the game was released without tethers? I know, I was there! Amazing!

9 hours ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

aaaabsolutely, nothin'!  (Wink if you get the reference)

😉

They're good for a quick resupply or storage outpost anywhere. But, then again, you can save by jumping into your vehicle, so I can see how it can be found redundant...

34 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

With this game taking place some 500 years into the future, the world and all its inhabitants would not have developed something more advanced than tethers?

This just proves that the devs have never seen anything related to Star Trek. I'm convinced that this "500 years" figure (was it 450 years?) was thrown in the game synopsis as a random number for the sake of having a "futuristic" timeline and not much thought was put into it before or afterwards. Having said that, this apparent lack of technology also might be interpreted as the game taking place in an alternate parallel universe where that tech doesn't exist...

9 hours ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

what Are habitats good for?

not much, anymore. they no longer provide necessary shelter. they aren't the only way to save your game (not even the most convenient way). they don't have access to any facilities outside of the rest of your base. they are a lump of vestigal game history that should be allowed to wither and die.

i actually prefer the older-style 'capsule' drop from the early game. at least that made sense as an arrival on your starter planet. now, you could achieve the same with a medium spacecraft and a (burnt-out) solid fuel thruster. an entry level platform could just as easily hold the atmosphere generator.

i'm not voting for losing the habitat, however. i'm voting for expanding it, giving it a much needed purpose. let's have an actual playable HABITAT to go along with our habitat. interiors with consoles that would allow us to run communications, track orbits, map planets, perhaps even design stuff, we gotta have that. this game needs a new perspective on it's gameplay, and perhaps a more functional habitat could be a key part of that.

1 hour ago, Mio said:

Why tethers being so much a thing?

Mio, let's stay on topic. I've seen tethers discussed all over this forum, and good or bad, they are here to stay. TOGG doesn't need any encouragement to start talking about tethers, believe me. i haven't seen a good debate about habitats, and i'd welcome some real ideas about how they can be improved.

speaking of habitats, where are my domes?

there already been an idea about small habitat from me - make it work like a landing pad, and make collapsed version of it fit on t2 slot of a vehicle, then it'll be a thing, otherwise scrapyard decoration :)

17 minutes ago, Mio said:

there already been an idea about small habitat from me - make it work like a landing pad, and make collapsed version of it fit on t2 slot of a vehicle, then it'll be a thing, otherwise scrapyard decoration

kind of like a tent? you put it up when you need to, shelter, then take it with you in the morning? i like that idea. i also like TOGG's thought of using them instead if tethers (yes, i know), and you work your way from one to the other as you explore. i might want them to be less resource expensive, though, if i was just going to leave them hanging about.

43 minutes ago, Bron said:

not much, anymore. they no longer provide necessary shelter. they aren't the only way to save your game (not even the most convenient way). they don't have access to any facilities outside of the rest of your base. they are a lump of vestigal game history that should be allowed to wither and die.

i actually prefer the older-style 'capsule' drop from the early game. at least that made sense as an arrival on your starter planet. now, you could achieve the same with a medium spacecraft and a (burnt-out) solid fuel thruster. an entry level platform could just as easily hold the atmosphere generator.

i'm not voting for losing the habitat, however. i'm voting for expanding it, giving it a much needed purpose. let's have an actual playable HABITAT to go along with our habitat. interiors with consoles that would allow us to run communications, track orbits, map planets, perhaps even design stuff, we gotta have that. this game needs a new perspective on it's gameplay, and perhaps a more functional habitat could be a key part of that.

Totally agree. I think they need more functionality, not just a place to save your game. I can achieve the same results as a habitat with a rover seat, and much cheaper, too.

3 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

TETHERS HQHSVDHJSJAAÀAAAAAAA

Yeah another thing is the more I use, the more it fubbs up my game, I have four oxy tanks on my back at all times and have been going around picking up all the tethers I've placed, just usimg my tanks and vehicles for oxygen. Considering how cheap the tanks are now, they really are a good altermative that can be acquired fairly early but they take up space. Wish you could just upgrade your suit with a larger oxygen resevoir, or allow a super late game thing like a mini RTG to power the mini Oxygenator, for infinite oxygen, or I suppose you could just mix tanks with with an Oxygenator and a small generator and keep picking up grass once and a while.

Edited by The Power Of Grayskull

3 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I, I love you man! 😘 

let it go, Greysie. it's been too long, were different people now....... it doesn't take much to see that the problems of two dysfunctional Astroneer players don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. someday you'll understand that.

30 minutes ago, Bron said:

let it go, Greysie. it's been too long, were different people now....... it doesn't take much to see that the problems of two dysfunctional Astroneer players don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. someday you'll understand that.

+1, Too funny!!! 

12 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I, I love you man! 😘

8 hours ago, Bron said:

Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg… and my arm… even my fingers. The body I’ve lost… the comrades I’ve lost… won’t stop hurting… It’s like they’re all still there. You feel it, too, don’t you?