I expect many people to say Sylva because it's the first base and more likely to have more invested in it. 

My home planet is Calidor, it's by far my favorite planet, I love the colors, the beautiful waves of sand that are just picture perfect, those huge mysterious cavern entrances, the way the gateways look so majestic buried in sand like long forgotten magical ruins. I made it my home planet and base a long time ago and honestly haven't been to Sylva for a long time, other than to dismantle my old base there and make a new one hidden in the purple forest, as those forests are the only redeeming quality of Sylva for me, I really dislike everything else about it lol

I tend to have an artistic side to my base building, making imaginative ideas for outposts on different planets even down to wether circle or square platforms are more fitting. I like to paint a picture, and make the place feel like it could have it's own story.

Edited by The Power Of Grayskull

14 minutes ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

I expect many people to say Sylva because it's the first base and more likely to have more invested in it. 

My home planet is Calidor, it's by far my favorite planet, I love the colors, the beautiful waves of sand that are just picture perfect, those huge mysterious cavern entrances, the way the gateways look so majestic buried in sand like long forgotten magical ruins. I made it my home planet and base a long time ago and honestly haven't been to Sylva for a long time, other than to dismantle my old base there and make a new one hidden in the purple forest, as those forests are the only redeeming quality of Sylva for me, I really dislike everything else about it lol

I tend to have an artistic side to my base building, making imaginative ideas for outposts on different planets even down to wether circle or square platforms are more fitting. I like to paint a picture, and make the place feel like it could have it's own story.

Very meticulous about terrain color and painting it just right, and sculpting the perfect shape for the land the base sits on so it looks natural and creative. To the point that every time I watch an Astroneer youtube video I cringe at the Super Flat bases taking up way more space than they need and the jumbled mess of color and platforms placed with no rhyme or reason, which of course do your base how you want and I understand a lot of people are all about max efficiency, but if it was my base it'd bother me so much.

Lately I've been a big fan of the Atrox. When the sunlight is out, which is not often or often enough, Atrox, rocks! I think this planet is the hidden gem due to the fact that it is in the dark far too often. When the sun shines so does Atrox unfortunately being the closest planet to the sun means it gets the least amount of sunlight. 😡

3 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Lately I've been a big fan of the Atrox. When the sunlight is out, which is not often or often enough, Atrox, rocks! I think this planet is the hidden gem due to the fact that it is in the dark far too often. When the sun shines so does Atrox unfortunately being the closest planet to the sun means it gets the least amount of sunlight. 😡

Uhh its the farthest planet from sun, I think you messed it up. But yeah ,atria is fun with all those hazardous plants I can play with (catch me if you can), also the resources are abundant too, and the research is top notchB|

Isn't Glacio the farthest from the sun? I'll have to go check my hand drawn solar system map, but I thought Atrox was closest and Glacio was farthest. OK, I grabbed my SS map and based on the orbits of the planets shown in the "Travel map" on the mystery satellite I have (from closest to farthest from the Sun), Atrox, Calidor, Sylva/DeSolo, Vasania/Novus, and Glacio. Is everybody's solar system set up different? It seems that they should all be the same, but there could be a random element in the planetary orbits.

Edited by Flyingcrowbar

34 minutes ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

I'll have to go check my hand drawn solar system map, but I thought Atrox was closest and Glacio was farthest. 

That's where I'm at too
Closest to the sun not furthest but uhh maybe I'm wrong

8 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

That's where I'm at too
Closest to the sun not furthest but uhh maybe I'm wrong

Yeah thought that that was pretty embarrassing lol ironically he's the one that messed it up.

15 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I really like the visual effects in the air, the yellow sparkies.

16 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

29 minutes ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

In fact because of this, I like it better at night.

Anyway I consider Calidor to be my home planet by all means, its the center of my operations, I barely spend any time off of it, my most elaborate base with the most machines is there, and I store all the resources I collect in that base. So what's your Home Planet? Or if you don't have one, talk about your situation!

I actually keep a stock of planet specific resources on the landing sight of my other bases on other planets, so If I run out of something I can't find conveniently on Calidor, I can just land my ship, yoink the resource I need to replenish and head back to Calidor immediately. A couple of my bases are just humble facilities for collecting exclusive gases.

9 hours ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

I really like that effect too. It's like the atmosphere is effervescent.

In my main save game the only "base" I have is on Sylva. And by base, I mean the only one that has a shelter building. All other planets have various modules/facilities that are placed near the landing site and if I am going to stay on the planet for a while I just hunker down in the shuttle. I have spent the most time on Sylva, but I do make regular trips to other planets to collect resources and research nuggets. I'll have to do some thinking to figure out which planet is my favorite and why, but like anything else, they all have their good and bad points.

i have bases everywhere now. i guess Sylva is my main base, and Desolo is quite well developed but only because it's the first real 'off-world' base you start to make. i personally love Glacio, it's the only other place I've actually dropped a Habitat onto. i adore the colour scheme and the arctic soundscape with the cracking of the ice.

in the end it's always an aesthetic choice. no world is an ideal, and that is entirely proper. it would be nice to be able to pick one of these worlds and terraform the atmosphere, creating a truly 'home' planet - one you can run around with your helmet off. i think that would be genuinely awesome.

if i had to implement that functionality into the game right now i'd have the atmosphere condensers upgraded to produce oxygen - then have a mission where you need to place functioning condensers in specific spots on the planet surface to start the process. then let them run continuously for a long time, and have a process that can be incomplete - the breathable zones getting slowly bigger until they meet, and then after a while you can switch them off. maybe even, the condensers need to be upgraded with some alien tech that needs to be found. perhaps also they need to be supplied with another resource as well as power - Astronium might be a good fit for this.

i like the idea that after terraforming, things arent just easy - the process might create atmospheric disturbances, and there may still be pockets of unbreathable atmosphere, particularly in the caves.

3 hours ago, Bron said:

i have bases everywhere now. i guess Sylva is my main base, and Desolo is quite well developed but only because it's the first real 'off-world' base you start to make. i personally love Glacio, it's the only other place I've actually dropped a Habitat onto. i adore the colour scheme and the arctic soundscape with the cracking of the ice.

in the end it's always an aesthetic choice. no world is an ideal, and that is entirely proper. it would be nice to be able to pick one of these worlds and terraform the atmosphere, creating a truly 'home' planet - one you can run around with your helmet off. i think that would be genuinely awesome.

if i had to implement that functionality into the game right now i'd have the atmosphere condensers upgraded to produce oxygen - then have a mission where you need to place functioning condensers in specific spots on the planet surface to start the process. then let them run continuously for a long time, and have a process that can be incomplete - the breathable zones getting slowly bigger until they meet, and then after a while you can switch them off. maybe even, the condensers need to be upgraded with some alien tech that needs to be found. perhaps also they need to be supplied with another resource as well as power - Astronium might be a good fit for this.

i like the idea that after terraforming, things arent just easy - the process might create atmospheric disturbances, and there may still be pockets of unbreathable atmosphere, particularly in the caves.

adding on to this idea, what if the gateways are a terraforming machine that create a proper atmosphere and fill the planet with oxygen over time like you said, but having a difficult process and high expense to activate?

I like the gateways as the fast travel network that they are now, but I really like your idea. How about having a totally separate and unique structure that does the terraforming instead. They could be located [hidden?] all over each planet and you would have to find them and then go through some process to activate them and they don't actually start terraforming until all of them have activated on any given planet.

20 minutes ago, Flyingcrowbar said:

I like the gateways as the fast travel network that they are now, but I really like your idea. How about having a totally separate and unique structure that does the terraforming instead. They could be located [hidden?] all over each planet and you would have to find them and then go through some process to activate them and they don't actually start terraforming until all of them have activated on any given planet.

A use for Astronium?

4 hours ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

Astronium desperately needs a purpose

IKR, the resource looks so good, it is shiny and looks more precious than a diamond too, I see loads of them but then I will be like why to bother collecting them if they have no use.

Edited by TMarcher74

I can't recall the last time I saw any Astronium in the wild. Granted, I have not been spending much time in the deep sections of any caves lately. Maybe I need to put it on my "to do" list to go find some more, but without a good use for the stuff searching for any more would be a very low priority.

20191109105113_1.thumb.jpg.2e00d0462e62af720aa84aa64d7d954d.jpg

At my homebase I just constructed this, my wall of gas. Or wall of gasses. I used the chessboard and placed the gas on those. I placed four lights in the center square on each chessboard. What is difficult to see in this photo is that there are numerous medium storages with power cells on them which provides some movement and color. I've got more gasses and power cells to collect to be able to fill in all the holes and make everything equal and balanced. 
How do you store you gas? 

On the opposite side of this wall I'm constructing the "WalOSound" 

5 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

20191109105113_1.thumb.jpg.2e00d0462e62af720aa84aa64d7d954d.jpg

At my homebase I just constructed this, my wall of gas. Or wall of gasses. I used the chessboard and placed the gas on those. I placed four lights in the center square on each chessboard. What is difficult to see in this photo is that there are numerous medium storages with power cells on them which provides some movement and color. I've got more gasses and power cells to collect to be able to fill in all the holes and make everything equal and balanced. 
How do you store you gas? 

On the opposite side of this wall I'm constructing the "WalOSound" 

While I admire these achievements of grandure I am but a humble turd farmer living the simple life, and only keep two medium storages of any resource. I'm afraid that any more will probably make my game crash on contact, yes my Xbox One X capable of running some games 4k, 60fps, and HDR, and high res textures, all at the same time would probably crash on Astroneer.

7 minutes ago, The Power Of Grayskull said:

While I admire these achievements of grandure I am but a humble turd farmer living the simple life, and only keep two medium storages of any resource. I'm afraid that any more will probably make my game crash on contact, yes my Xbox One X capable of running some games 4k, 60fps, and HDR, and high res textures, all at the same time would probably crash on Astroneer.

I'm hoping you get a great rig soon! 🤞