Nekudotaim

Very hard to see and operate the drill/paver on large rover inside caves

Very hard to see and operate the drill/paver on large rover inside caves

I think this is a long going dilemma, I just pull up because it's still on on and I have a possible solution.

The issue is when you drill down in the large rover and you basically have the view stuck on its rear and if you try to rise hover it you can't always do it because there is the ceiling of the cave and the sides too.

1) viewability issue. If you can't/don't want move the pov on the head's player at least implement some sort of 90-95% transparency on the rover and all its mounted stuff that activates when the drill is functioning and the viewing direction is aligned with the drill's model.

2) drill's angle operativity. Depending on the cave/gallery structure you're driving, adjusting the drill's angle is very difficult if not impossibile by both mouse movement and eye's impediment as from issue 1) above. I don't see an easy solution here. Separate key controls to operates up/down the drill won't make things a lot easier. Maybe the mouse wheel would do?

Edited by Nekudotaim

I agree ...

It may be a feature requested elsewhere, or perhaps I've missed a new feature, but perhaps it's time for a 'First Person' view (or some other HUD centered/oriented view) when using the Paver/Drill combination.  Certainly, we need more control keys and/or a better mouse interface! 

Also, what about adding a slot for an 'Alignment Mod'?  Nothing beats a paver that can create a level paved area or road with ease without having to fight with an oversensitive control interface.

Edited by DiGiaCom Tech

How about...
an option to make vehicles turn semi transparent when the camera is bouncing off of terrain or forced to closer to the vehicle or something like that.

Gina, this is good news but what about when NOT drive/drilling or driving at all? 

The follow camera will still get clipped behind vehicles when NOT drilling and this is even tougher when you have a large vehicle carrying large items.  First person is needed for ALLOT of other non vehicle related conditions as well (e.g. player tunneling without any vehicle)!

As a moderator I realize you don't have any more say/control over development than I do ... so I'm not mad at you in the slightest ... just posting a rebuttal for the developers to see and (hopefully) take in into consideration.

A first-person view will help with part of the problem - seeing what you are hitting.

I would really really like to see some finer control when drilling on a rover. It should not be so laborious to just keep level (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq7kUQtyx9I for example) .

Simple suggestion: Make the CTRL key lock the drill to rover-relative level. Ideally this would be as true a level as CTRL while mining, but even with the polygon-edge wobble the video mentions this would be much better than "don't touch the mouse or you'll dive to the planet's core".

Fancier suggestion - also make a hotkey (ALT maybe) that sets the drill to local horizontal, like the alignment mod for the deform tool.

On PS4 what I believe would work is slave the camera view to the right joystick like it is now, and slave the drill angle to the up/down axis on the LEFT joystick, currently it is only used for turning the vehicle left/right, going up/down on the left stick now appears to do nothing?

Another solution would be to clamp the camera to some offset of the driver seat.  Allow for zooming and panning right/left but disallow the camera from moving closer/farther from the player (e.g. camera is clamped to the vehicle not the player).