System Era, you guys need to add a Base Tracker to Astroneer that can track your base, but it only tells you which direction to go in, as in there's an arrow pointing in the direction of which your base is. Also, you'd need to change the color of the tracker to each base because you'll need different trackers for different bases.

I wish we could have used the probe scanner for finding our way back home, but idk they might give more purpose to the scanner in the future updates.

I always thought that one of the very first challenges of this game was learning how to explore without getting yourself lost. A tether line back to base works well when you are on foot, but after you get a rover that goes out the window. That is when marking your trail and knowing how to use navigation clues gets important. I think that your idea has merit, @j.a.b, but I would prefer to see it available as some sort of crafted modification that players can choose to use or not. If that is what you are suggesting, then great. However, if you are asking the developers to add an "Always on" compass feature that points to your base, then I would prefer that things remain as they are. 

I've always done a couple things to make sure I don't get lost, after getting lost when doing the Wanderer update for the first time. I make a road from the core to my base, and so, if I ever get lost, I just go to the core, however, then you do have to make a lot of roads to the core, and  you'll have to search around in the core. The other thing that I use is just a line of beacons of different color that you can see literally anywhere(basically making coordinates for latitude and longitude for the planet w/ your base as a "pole") But yea, this would be a lot simpler! However, if you move bases to a different location, then how would the Base Tracker differentiate between your current base, and the starter base?

That's a good point, @[7S]Vilynn, I don't have any planets with more than one base, but there is nothing to stop someone from having several bases on the same planet. Most of my planets don't even have a base building, but do have various facilities located near the landing point.

On 11/5/2019 at 7:14 AM, Flyingcrowbar said:

I always thought that one of the very first challenges of this game was learning how to explore without getting yourself lost. A tether line back to base works well when you are on foot, but after you get a rover that goes out the window. That is when marking your trail and knowing how to use navigation clues gets important. I think that your idea has merit, @j.a.b, but I would prefer to see it available as some sort of crafted modification that players can choose to use or not. If that is what you are suggesting, then great. However, if you are asking the developers to add an "Always on" compass feature that points to your base, then I would prefer that things remain as they are. 

What I'm saying, IS a modification you have to attach. Also, there'll be an achievement to show it in the catalog, you have to find your way back to your base yourself, (optional) with beacons, and when you get back, loot or not, (NEEDED) ON A VEHICLE, then yo unlock the achievement, "Base Tracker", and then you can unlock the now visible Base Tracker, which looks like the probe scanner, but the only thing it copies, is the distance dots. So the closer you get, the more dots you see, halfs not included.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:01 AM, [7S]Vilynn said:

I've always done a couple things to make sure I don't get lost, after getting lost when doing the Wanderer update for the first time. I make a road from the core to my base, and so, if I ever get lost, I just go to the core, however, then you do have to make a lot of roads to the core, and  you'll have to search around in the core. The other thing that I use is just a line of beacons of different color that you can see literally anywhere(basically making coordinates for latitude and longitude for the planet w/ your base as a "pole") But yea, this would be a lot simpler! However, if you move bases to a different location, then how would the Base Tracker differentiate between your current base, and the starter base?

Why do you think I said, "DIFFERENT TRACKERS for DIFFERENT BASES". They can be on the same planet. Also, you'd need a color or a nickname for each tracker set.