Sign in to follow this  
Eyce

Anual Rare Events

Okay so I was super busy during the Apollo 11 event, and I know not everyone got a chance to get such items from the lander. Now obviously this isn't something to complain about but I'd rather try and start something in memory of the men who went to the moon. 

In any case My idea is that instead of being one off deals that there is in fact an annual event for a period of days to allow people to get the items once more. For instance I never managed to find the lunar module and wish to eventually find it just so I can have the experience of finding something like that.

Obviously this can be subject to change and criticism but I was thinking on it while exploring Desolo today. 

I really dislike time-limited events. I can't keep up with dlc's across my game library, as it is. Simply being DLC creates enough exclusivity, imo. I hadn't started playing at the time of the event, so it would be great to get a whack at it.

Although both of you do have a point, their limited time events for a reason, that reason being, as previously stated, exclusivity.

Unless the event only has a limited time window, people won't be as compelled to get it.

for instance, lord have mercy, fortnite's item shop.

the items in the shop are only available for 1 day and aren't guaranteed to appear again.

That also rewards people for playing the game early on.

Other wise, if not that, then why not allow ALL of us to have the retro suit??

Answer: It takes away from the people who played early enough to get it.

Edited by EmeraldGamerr
mispell

1 hour ago, EmeraldGamerr said:

Other wise, if not that, then why not allow ALL of us to have the retro suit??

Answer: It takes away from the people who played early enough to get it.

If I may ask @EmeraldGamerr what exactly does it take away? I have the retro suit. I played in 2016. If someone plays the game for the first time today and has the retro suit....what does that take away from me? What should I be feeling?
Exclusivity? 
With more than 4 million copies sold (and counting) what am I lacking if someone else has the retro suit?

@The Touch of Grey Gamer If someone new to the community just bought astroneer and received the retro suit, you are now lacking ( if you had any to begin with) the pride in purchasing the game in early access and playing the game with no promise of it ever keeping up to date

What you did with your money was invest it in something that seemed promising

I remember quite well when I was considering buying the game in early access until I read the foot note: In purchasing this title, you fully understand that it is still under development and may or may not continue to update upon purchase

After I read that, I told myself "I really don't wanna spend money on a game that might not even improve itself"

Obviously, other people didn't think the same way, in fact, they thought the opposite and bought the game anyways because it looked "fun" and "had potential",  and you are indeed one of those smart people

Now I regret not purchasing astroneer when it was still in early access, not only that, but when I see someone with the retro-suit, there is an unspoken "veterancy" that comes along with it

Its like investing stocks in Apple when it was still new, and greatly profiting years down the line, and all of a sudden late johnny comes by with no real knowledge or experience of the company (or game in this case) and profits just as much as you did but in MUCH less time than you did

Imagine everyone getting the galactic suit and visor on purchase of the game, what would be the point in sporting it if everyone has it? unless you really like it, none

What i'm trying to say is this: If they ever allowed others to get the retro suit without some sort of challenge like, complete the games main story-line 10 times, then that special "wow, he/she must know everything since he/she has that suit" felling would disappear

Now obviously some people don't mind others having the retro suit, but picture this, would you give a new player YOUR retro suit, even though they've never played the game and might not even continue to play after the first few hours? I know I wouldn't because when I was about to complete the game, my friend who wanted the galactic pallet, even though they just started, wanted me to invite them so they can get it for free. I not only said no, but instead, I invited a friend of mine who was 2 planets away (working on glacio) and gave them the suit. Why? because they were planning to do so anyways. They didn't want it for the bragging rights my other friend did (after I said no, they said fine and played the game until desolo and quit playing since) but they wanted it for that "completion" feeling

Giving a new player a purple heart for simply buying the game would not only defeat the purpose of the retro-suit itself, but also diminish the value in it as well

3 hours ago, EmeraldGamerr said:

If someone new to the community just bought astroneer and received the retro suit, you are now lacking ( if you had any to begin with) the pride in purchasing the game in early access and playing the game with no promise of it ever keeping up to date

Pride in owning something others can't have is such a foolish sentiment.

If someone who just bought the game gets the same retro suit I have, good for them. It makes no difference to me, nor it impacts my experience.

Never liked exclusivity. It just promotes lack and envy...

1 hour ago, vvhorus said:

If someone who just bought the game gets the same retro suit I have, good for them. It makes no difference to me, nor it impacts my experience.

Never liked exclusivity. It just promotes lack and envy...

@vvhorus

Well, pride means one has a feeling of being good and worthy

The adjective is proud

It can be used in both a good and bad sense;

Good: having self respect

Bad: no respect for others actions, only ones self

Again, mind my context...

5 hours ago, EmeraldGamerr said:

Now obviously some people don't mind others having the retro suit, but picture this, would you give a new player YOUR retro suit, even though they've never played the game and might not even continue to play after the first few hours?

Now, ask yourself if your answer is yes;

Am I really WORTHY of sporting this retro-suit if i'm willing to give it away to some "newbie"? now...

Yes, one can indeed become prideful it the suit itself gets to them, but that doesn't mean you can't be proud

Be happy you invested in this game early enough to get the suit, be proud you are one of the few

As long as you understand that the suit itself doesn't give you power (because it doesn't), I don't believe becoming prideful will ever become an issue

The issue comes with stealing the value the suit might have once had to some players. now, you clearly aren't one of those people, you probably don't think much of the suit, and in fact, you probably WOULD give it away without a second thought meaning you don't hold it to much value, and in turn (don't mean to sound like an ass but), don't deserve it

Of course the suit was only a plus to buying the game early on, But I can assure you that if others were given an opportunity to get it, they would

If they did rid of the exclusivity the retro-suit by giving it to every astroneer, other people (again not you) would probably feel a little hurt that they no longer have something to show for playing the game before it was "popular"

Also,

1 hour ago, vvhorus said:

I didn't say you should hold pride in the retro-suit, I was talking about having pride in buying a game (in which was available to everyone at the time) while it was still in early access

hm :) funny to read this. Cos any wish to show off some superiority to others (playing longer, been there earlier, invested more etc) is a pride imho. And that "some newbie" sounds really not very good, what exactly makes new player lesser than a veteran? Okay, they discovered the game maybe not right away but this not makes them less.

For me best solution would be just always have some means in the game to unlock locked suits, and let ppl decide which ones they like to unlock and do that at their own pace.

Agreed. exclusive Items should be able to come back, BUT...

5 hours ago, EmeraldGamerr said:

What i'm trying to say is this: If they ever allowed others to get the retro suit without some sort of challenge like, complete the games main story-line 10 times, then that special "wow, he/she must know everything since he/she has that suit" felling would disappear

They have to complete a challenge

For the lunar event, maybe activate the core of A moon 20 times

Summer suits, complete the game in a given amount of time (maybe 7 days) for each save

Newbie in a good sense. Not ignorant and stupid, but inexperienced and ready to learn more by playing the game or asking for help

10 minutes ago, EmeraldGamerr said:

Well, pride means one has a feeling of being good and worthy

The adjective is proud

It can be used in both a good and bad sense;

Good: having self respect

Bad: no respect for others actions, only ones self

Again, mind my context...

The word "pride," whether used in a "good or bad" context (including what you wrote), implies that there is either internal or external judgement based on ownership of something, an accomplishment, or a set of behaviors. If you feel that you need a feeling of worth or self satisfaction in owning something that others don't, especially a bunch of code that displays a group of useless pixels, well, good for you. I just happen to think it's silly.

32 minutes ago, EmeraldGamerr said:

Now, ask yourself if your answer is yes;

Am I really WORTHY of sporting this retro-suit if i'm willing to give it away to some "newbie"?

I don't feel extra special for buying the game on day 1. It's a good game, but I have better things to feel good in my life than owning a cosmetic item in a game.

If you want my retro suit, you can have it, my friend. I think I used it for maybe half an hour. Now it's just sitting there as another unused option on the list.

In your reply to TTOGG, you wrote:

6 hours ago, EmeraldGamerr said:

I remember quite well when I was considering buying the game in early access until I read the foot note: In purchasing this title, you fully understand that it is still under development and may or may not continue to update upon purchase

After I read that, I told myself "I really don't wanna spend money on a game that might not even improve itself"

Obviously, other people didn't think the same way, in fact, they thought the opposite and bought the game anyways because it looked "fun" and "had potential",  and you are indeed one of those smart people

Now I regret not purchasing astroneer when it was still in early access, not only that, but when I see someone with the retro-suit, there is an unspoken "veterancy" that comes along with it

It reads as if you made a decision not to buy the game early based on a negative feeling, and now you are left with more negative feelings of regret and jealousy, hence my earlier comment. That decision also might be interpreted as you not falling for the usual marketing tactic of instilling feelings of lack to pressure players into dishing out their hard earned cash. If that was the case, I applaud you. My friends and I bought the game first day because I thought (I actually made my friends buy the game) it would be fun to play as a group, and it was. But I don't feel I did anything worthy of any feelings of "pride and accomplishment," as that now infamous reddit quote from an EA executive says.

Again, if there is a way for the retro suit to come back and you being able to get it, awesome sauce. If I could, I would give you mine.

For what it's worth, you're not really missing out on anything spectacular. If I might be a little philosophical here, you're not really missing out, period.

I have spoken...

6 hours ago, EmeraldGamerr said:

@The Touch of Grey Gamer If someone new to the community just bought astroneer and received the retro suit, you are now lacking ( if you had any to begin with) the pride in purchasing the game in early access and playing the game with no promise of it ever keeping up to date. I'm not understanding how I'm lacking if someone that just purchased the game received the retro suit. I would not feel like I'm lacking anything as, I, have the suit. I can't lack what I have can I? 
As far as purchasing the game in early access. I do that to support small or independent game companies. I do this because I want to help them be successful. But even in this example I don't think I feel pride in doing so. Secondly, it was only $19.99. I'm an adult. I have a job and have had one for decades. It's not like I did some really amazing thing by getting in on the ground floor of SES and propelling them to victory. I'm just a dood with an extra $20 lying around. 

What you did with your money was invest it in something that seemed promising 
Again, I don't think I can call $20 an investment. I can however state that the time I have put into the game, that is a investment. The time I spend on the forum that is an investment in the game and the company. But I'm not comfortable stating my $20 was an investment. 

Those are the footnotes that make me smile! 

I can't argue with facts! 😱

I still only use the best ever suit..........Flight suit, orange AKA Pajama Suit 

Its like investing stocks in Apple when it was still new, and greatly profiting years down the line, and all of a sudden late johnny comes by with no real knowledge or experience of the company (or game in this case) and profits just as much as you did but in MUCH less time than you did
Did I profit? I did. So in this example I would not care who else profited as long as I did. In this example, I would say, congratulations Late Johnny!

Imagine everyone getting the galactic suit and visor on purchase of the game, what would be the point in sporting it if everyone has it? unless you really like it, none
But don't you, I and everyone wear suits we like? I think I'm missing your point.

Yeah, I'm no smarter at the game, better at the game because I've been playing since December 2016. All knowable things about the game are knowable to everyone. Those of us (cool doods) that have the retro suit are not privy to information that others are not.

Now obviously some people don't mind others having the retro suit, but picture this, would you give a new player YOUR retro suit, even though they've never played the game and might not even continue to play after the first few hours?  I know I wouldn't because when I was about to complete the game, my friend who wanted the galactic pallet, even though they just started, wanted me to invite them so they can get it for free. I not only said no, but instead, I invited a friend of mine who was 2 planets away (working on glacio) and gave them the suit. Why? because they were planning to do so anyways. They didn't want it for the bragging rights my other friend did (after I said no, they said fine and played the game until desolo and quit playing since) but they wanted it for that "completion" feeling

Giving a new player a purple heart for simply buying the game would not only defeat the purpose of the retro-suit itself, but also diminish the value in it as well
I fathom what you're saying. I'm learning and trying to understand where you are coming from. I think they are all valid points. I appreciate you taking your time to explain not only to me but to others

+1