generalrookie

Two different game saves wont load. Freeze, Crash

I tried loading my regular world tonight.  I play daily on this world currently.  14mb in size.  5 of 7 planets visited, 3 cores complete.  It froze my PC while trying to load (at about 30% in) and crashed to desktop.  CPU usage dropped to >1% and ram usage kept going up until crashing to desktop.

I tried loading a different, second world that I havent played in over a month.  10mb in size. 4 of 7 planets visited, 2 cores complete.  It had the exact same result. CPU usage dropped to >1% and ram usage kept going up until crashing to desktop.

I started a new world.  Loaded up instantly without errors.  Saved fine, loaded fine.

Then I tried switching from new world, to either of my saves and it locked up, froze, CPU dropped, ram increased, crashed to desktop.

Tried copying and renaming worlds, then loading.  Same results.  Freeze/Crash

Game save included in this post.

NEW NICK$2019.10.27-22.22.48.savegame

Not sure if this is related. But in addition to this information, when I do close the game (intentionally), there are 2 instances of Astro running in my task manager, that I have to force close before I can reload the game.  I get an error in Steam that Astroneer is still running, even though I had closed the game.   Not sure why the game is still "running" in task manager, when no game is actually on.

Uninstalling and reinstalling game did not fix the problem.  PC still freezes and crashes while loading my saved games (created before the groundwork update).

None of my saves load anymore.  Game is unplayable now. New saves wont reload after I leave.

Still no response here.

Here's a clip from Windows Event Viewer.  This is listed as an Information, not an Error in the event viewer.  Just tells me what I already knew.

Fault bucket 2148343866106171492, type 5
Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe

New update did nothing to fix this problem.  None of my saves will load.  Massive memory leak still.  Steam game is up to date.  Windows is up to date.  Game is completely unplayable.  Nothing saves, nothing loads.  I can stare at the menu screen and dream of playing.

Please fix.  Forum is full of complaints yet zero response from developer.  About to ask for my money back....

My Game Saves LOAD!!!!!  FINALLY.   Here's what I did to "fix" my game:

1.   I deleted all the Legal*.mp4, LoadingLoop*.mp4, SESLogo.mp4 movies from the Astroneer folder (program files x86/steam/steamapps/common/astroneer/astro/content).  There were 10 mp4 movies I deleted.  This was a bug fix for many people back in Alpha and earlier this year for a variety of issues.

2.  I ran the game in compatibility mode, Windows Visa Service Pack 2.  This again was a bug fix in 2016 or 2017 for some people for differnt bug issues/reasons.

Glad it loads, but annoyed no one from Systemera ever responded.  They dont have to respond to me, but they should address the constant flow of new posts about bugs and at least tell the community they're aware and working.

Confused why an up-to-date windows 10 wont work but running as Vista SP2 does work.....  Hope that a dev sees this and can make sense of this.  I'm not sure which of the 2 things above actually fixed my game, but it's working.  Neither of the two things above were actually suggested by anyone from Systemera.  These were all discovered by players and posted in the mass of 39,000 bug report on this forum.  Thank you player base for figuring out how to make the game play, when developers can't.

Hi and thanks for the tip.

I've deleted all the mp4 movies and it seems to solve the issue I have with my main save game.

Since the creative mode patch Astroneer started crashing for me in the same way.  When loading my saved game, the animation freezes somewhere between 1/4th and 1/3rd way through loading.  When it first started happening it would freeze for a time then move past it.  But within a few days it started crashing to the desktop after freezing, or simply remaining frozen until I force quit.

I fallowed what generalrookie said and deleted the three "loading loop" mp4 files at the location described.  It then allowed me to load the game. 

Thank you for the information.  Maybe some problem with the mp4 files?