KingMonkey

Status report on Dedicated Servers?

Any word on dedicated servers? Latency/stability in multiplayer can be hit or miss. I'd think having actual online servers would help.

29 minutes ago, EmeraldGamerr said:

If the servers are going to be just as laggy as they are right now with only 4 players, I don't wanna know what 10 feels like XD

The difference between a dedicated server (a box that only deals with providing the world to play in) versus a player-server (a box that's running a player instance whilst also telling 3 others what's going on) is vast. It's an entirely different way of handling multiplayer. 

To put it another way, currently 1 machine hosts the others whilst also running the game for the host player. With dedicated servers, there is no host player, so it can focus on maintaining the game world. Add to that hardware and software designed to provide a server experience rather than a player experience, and you've got a gamechanger. 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:57 PM, thebloxxer11 said:

Delayed to December for Beta tests, January for release. View the SES_dev stream most recent to this comment.

^^ This.  Here's some copy-pasta from another recent post with links.

The servers were anticipated on November 15th, but on Thursday there was a dev stream on Twitch and we learned that there has been a delay.  There will be a closed beta test of the servers in December, and public roll out of servers is expected for early 2020. We also learned that this has something to do with some big changes that have been made during development that have put the option of host-your-own servers back on the table (for PC players).  I don't think the self-hosted servers will be releasing at the same time, but they are coming.