Okay so, you're going out to find scrap and you've been travelling for some time now and have no clue where your base is.Here's my idea :

Packable landing pad

• Printed from: Medium Printer

• Resource Cost: 1 Ceramic, 1 Aluminium, 1 copper

• Byte Cost: 1,250

Description: A landing pad that can be packaged into a T2 package like the field shelter

Packable, round trip spaceship

• Printed from: Large Printer

• Resource Cost: 3 Aluminium, 1 Ammonium

• Byte Cost: 2,500

Description: This is a tiny spaceship with no space whatsoever, has an integrated solid fuel thruster, and the whole thing will become scrapable parts once it has done one round trip. It can only fly to landing bubbles of the planet it is already on, but can be packaged into a T2 package like the field shelter. It is basically a one-use small spaceship with the same cost of a small shuttle and a solid fuel thruster with a few drawbacks but can be packaged.

Feel free to comment about what you consider fair byte and resource costs and what should be changed.

I found if I energize the Gateway chambers and / or engine core, once my rover load is full of scrap or resources, I travel to the nearest gateway and use the network to send items back to a base.  Of course you have to have a base near a working gateway and have other or all gateways activated.