SES_joe

The Groundwork Update - October 24th, 2019

As often as I'm on this forum, how could I not see anything? Each dev would have to agree not to post any leaks. There could be no interviews about the update. There could be no blogs about the update. It is not that I should not read anything, it is that SES should not post anything. 

So the "Dark Side of the Moon Update" it is not me that has to stop looking it is SES that would have to stop informing (all platforms) in order for this to work. 
There are things posted about updates in threads that have nothing to do with the update in the thread title. Yet, someone might say something like "Well the paver will be coming out soon so that should solve your issue with ........." "Chess is coming in the next update so you will be able to play for the first time ever online!" "We are forming a beachball soccer league...sign up here..."
You nor the other one have never read a post with a title of 'blah blah blah' only to find some of the contents of that thread to include information about an upcoming update? Really? I'm the only one? 

As far as my grading goes, show me where I missed a grade. I don't think I did but hey one man's grade of F could be another man's grade of A. 

Because all space exploration holds no surprises EVER! NASA has known everything before they launched anything? 

I can agree with some of your points @The Touch of Grey Gamer, but not all, the main reason why the devs post leeks is to make sure the fanbase is kept eagerly waiting on their toes for the next update ,this also ensure that the fanbase is not bored, you know they have something to wait for new stuff and I think it works pretty well, especially on me.It gives the players a feeling that they have a connection with the devs ,and I think the devs interacting with players by teasing the players using leeks can be a good strategy to keep the fanbase active.

4 hours ago, TMarcher74 said:

I can agree with some of your points @The Touch of Grey Gamer, but not all, the main reason why the devs post leeks is to make sure the fanbase is kept eagerly waiting on their toes for the next update ,this also ensure that the fanbase is not bored, you know they have something to wait for new stuff and I think it works pretty well, especially on me.It gives the players a feeling that they have a connection with the devs ,and I think the devs interacting with players by teasing the players using leeks can be a good strategy to keep the fanbase active.

+1 all valid points
However I'm willing to bet that more hype would be created by not having any leeks, any pics, any thoughts, any screenshots etc. shared before the updates release. Each and every update we have received; leeks, and/or blogs, an interview, pics, questions answered..... update after update after update..... very predictable.... 
Just one update....where we the players discover and SES does not uncover!

As far as keeping the fanbase active....do you feel chess does this? Hoop storage?  
Keeping the fanbase active is a concern of SES's. Which means it is not as active as it once was. So SES doing the same things over and over will now all of a sudden produce different results?  

We no longer have storms with boxes but (IMHO) SES sure can't get out of that "box" mentality 

3 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

+1 all valid points
However I'm willing to bet that more hype would be created by not having any leeks, any pics, any thoughts, any screenshots etc. shared before the updates release. Each and every update we have received; leeks, and/or blogs, an interview, pics, questions answered..... update after update after update..... very predictable.... 
Just one update....where we the players discover and SES does not uncover!
How do you expect them to keep the hype then? Any ideas?

As far as keeping the fanbase active....do you feel chess does this? Hoop storage?  
I love hoop storages for a reason, it is because they activate and deactivate items when you go through them, but I don't know the purpose of chess though, but it does make an interesting thing to collect.

Keeping the fanbase active is a concern of SES's. Which means it is not as active as it once was. So SES doing the same things over and over will now all of a sudden produce different results?  
Well they did not announce that there are probes to find out and there is something going to happen when you unlock all of them(WANDERER UPDATE)

We no longer have storms with boxes but (IMHO) SES sure can't get out of that "box" mentality 
I loved storms, wish they will be added back with more features to the storm as we all have suggested. It would be nice to know if they are working on storms or not. And here they did not tell us if they are working on storms or not probably because it might be a surprise for us?IDK

So after starting a new game, it runs better, it's still crashing every so often , and for some reason I'm running weird on novus, like hes sticking. I'm as far as novus unlocked with alot of stuff built. I'd like the crashes fixed, but it is better. Tho I'm hesitant to update again incase items ie. Wrecked rovers and other stuff duplicate again and slow the games down. I dont wanna have to start over again. 

4 hours ago, TMarcher74 said:

Keeping the hype up? Well each month we receive an update. So we are basically talking about 4 or 3 weeks worth of hype that can be produced. It is not a long period of time. 
SES should produce a "forum template" in which players would be able to post the updates to.
We have that new camera don't we? So when a player stumbles across an update, an updated item, a part of the "Dark Side of the Moon Update" player takes a photo of it and uploads it to the forum. If it is part of the "DSMU" then someone from SES "unlocks" the forum template to reveal just that part of the update! 
The first person to post an updated item and has an unlock on the forum wins an autographed Astroneer T-shirt signed by the entire SES team!

So let's say one of the updates was the spooky plants. A player would have found one, taken a pic of it, posted it, and when an official from SES or appointed by SES saw it, and it was correct, it would be unlocked on the Update Forum Thread. And here's ya T!
I think the fireworks would have worked here too
Satellites, space craft, equipment, holiday themed items, plants, all types of items can be discovered that fit perfectly with the genre 

I would promote the fact that we (SES) is not promoting the update. It is a non-promotional promotion. I would plaster it everywhere all the time. It is the dark update, the Skunk Works Update, the so super secret update that you couldn't handle the anticipation update! 
I would hype without pics, or info, or texts, or leeks, or any real information. Maybe a flash of a color one week, a pic of something long forgotten in Astroneer lore like air bubbles! 
Have you ever heard of a "No Show Gala?" How do they get the word out? Same thing here, SES is not going to show, however they are just going to raise the hype! Raising the hype without the methods SES has used in the past! Imagine that....thinking out of the box!
Get after it marketing team!

I'm glad you love the hoop storages. To me, for my style of play, they are a minimum use item with minimum capabilities. I saw @Gina's fireworks hoop storage video. Yeah, I may do it once.....once. But now that I've seen it? Yeah, I'll never do it.
I saw the video where going through the hoop turns the lights on! That was wicked cool. But again, how many times exactly would I do that? That ability is not going to extend my game play time. I could just unplug or plug in a power source as well to turn the lights on/off couldn't I?

Chess...interesting to collect...I'm with you but not with you there. I'm liking the collecting concept but chess pieces? It could not have been spaceship, space related, Purple Alien related, EXO Dynamics related, anything Astroneer related things to collect? It had to be freakin chess? I'm telling you now we are going to get a Mavis Beacon typing addition soon!

I love the concept of storms however SES's history in this area is not good. All storms were (other than far too, far too, far too frequent) was a time to dig a hole and wait 2 minutes. Which I never did I just saved, quit and reloaded and poof the storm was gone. They caused far too many breaks in gameplay. They provided no challenge. They provided no game play depth. It was just a constant delay in playing. Dig a hole and wait. And wait. And wait. Dig a hole and wait. And wait. And wait. 
And I don't think all storms have to be a life or death proposition either. Not all storms have to KILL!
I also think they should be player controlled. If a player wants them or not how frequent or not should all be player controlled not the current SES micromanaging system 

I think I nailed all your points.

What say you?
What say any of you?
What say all of you?

Нужно исправить сетевой баг (появляются текстурные пиксели при терраформинге)

2 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

What say all of you?

I am saying that while game is unstable, crashing, failing to load save files etc etc it will be very unfair to make any "who found that first" challenges.

imho this have to be played differently - there was a suggestion and not once: hide some pieces around solar system, let ppl find them and let it unlock some new technologies to research and craft. Maybe one have to find several pieces to unlock one new tech or some such. This is game, not a sport - everyone have to win. And everyone have different play style and speed.

3 hours ago, mumbles mumbles said:

Can we get patch notes for today's update please

Just a lil patch. 

SmartSelect_20191103-070019_Discord.jpg

8 hours ago, Michelle Knight said:

2.6Gb seems like a sizable 'lil patch' to me, especially for being just "hotfixes". Hmm.... >.>

Microsoft versions replace all the game files, every time. Steam only used around 50MB. 

On 11/1/2019 at 5:41 PM, Mio said:

This is game, not a sport - everyone have to win. And everyone have different play style and speed.

I was thinking the same thing when I (lost) was unable to go to any pax's and I watched people who did (won) got all sorts of neato things I was unable to get. 

I just think it would be a feather in one's cap to find a part of an update and get credit for finding it. Just a little nod to one's ability to explore. And while it may be first come first served, and yeah so. It is not life of death, just something different, out of the box, a break from the norm, a grinder

On 11/1/2019 at 3:05 PM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

What say any of you?

giphy.gif

"Dark Side of the Moon Update"

Traditionally, developers post patch notes whenever an update is released, and based on what I've seen, many players even expect to have those before the actual patch is released, let alone the same day. Unless it's something significant or there's something specific I'm interested in, I personally tend to only give those a quick glance to have a general idea, or even skip them altogether. But I understand how some players might want to either know everything or nothing at all...

The first person to post an updated item and has an unlock on the forum wins an autographed Astroneer T-shirt signed by the entire SES team!

I'm sure many in the community would be game for this. But, again, the way SES communicates stuff is so inconsistent, I doubt a lot of players would know about it unless they are glued to their phones or to the Astroneer Discord 24/7.

Skunk Works

Careful, they might be watching...

hoop storages

Meh...

Chess

giphy.gif

storms

I'm glad they're gone. If they are ever brought back, I hope they come with the option to disable them or tweak their intensity...

On 11/1/2019 at 5:41 PM, Mio said:

I am saying that while game is unstable, crashing, failing to load save files etc etc it will be very unfair to make any "who found that first" challenges.

I say you are absolutely right. There's no point in creating these hype promotions without the game being stable for everyone...

Edited by vvhorus

I like to hunt for real chess pieces, I hope they stay, I did not find them all yet :) little bit late comment ofc but I just recently discovered them.

On 11/2/2019 at 4:10 PM, Blind Io said:

Just a lil patch. 

SmartSelect_20191103-070019_Discord.jpg

Small patch ot not, I still like seeming what's been done, having some programming knowledge, I look at the notes before updating and if it's not super important I sometimes hold off on updating, or keep an older version on and external drive, as I've had issues with duplicated debris crashing games ect. , even just add a little update to the bottom of the lpst recent notes 

2 hours ago, vvhorus said:

Traditionally,  
🖕 Tradition...I think is my theme here. Come on give me just one of the 12 updates a year with a new twist, something different, something new, something dark.  

I'm sure many in the community would be game for this.
Damn Straight!

I say you are absolutely right. There's no point in creating these hype promotions without the game being stable for everyone...
Everyone. Really? Ugh, ok but I'm really only concerned about me and as for me and my game are concerned, been stable since day one! BOOM! 
Insert Salt emoji for Mio

On 11/1/2019 at 3:09 PM, lexa8809 said:

Нужно исправить сетевой баг (появляются текстурные пиксели при терраформинге)

Я согласен, особенно когда темно, я терпеть не могу

Hi. Any tips how to Unlock the visor for Halloween? Where can I find this plant? (visor description says plant a seed) 

9 minutes ago, Bl4ckSh33p said:

Hi. Any tips how to Unlock the visor for Halloween? Where can I find this plant? (visor description says plant a seed) 

Try looking in the valleys on Atrox, I found my Astro pumpkin pretty quick there. 

2 hours ago, Blind Io said:

Try looking in the valleys on Atrox, I found my Astro pumpkin pretty quick there. 

Thanks! I just visited the second planet. Hope I can survive long enough to find one and get back. 🙂

Honestly I wish i had something good to say about this update, I mean it Looks amazing but now that it came out suddenly Astroneer is having a huge memory leak every time I open it and I cant play it...    :(     R.I.P.  me

memoryleak2.png.c67ead5085df1df6b0955f79fc2ea8a6.pngAnd This is just the highest amount my computer can take a picture of before it starts freezing...