The Touch of Grey Gamer

Why do Mineral research (and others) change colors

Mineral research (and others) change colors? 
I found a beautiful green mineral research on Atrox. Really cool color green. The center was shiny, it was very appealing. Then when I bring it back to Sylvia to add it to my collection, it changes color? Why? 
Why do many research change colors when I bring them back to Sylvia? Why @SES_Adam 

Edited by Wyvyrias
Adjusted title to reflect the content.

I haven't noticed the color changes you refer to. The research nuggets do change colors during the unpacking process, but they seem to return to their original color when they finish the process. Are you bringing them home full sized or in a packed state? That might have something to do with it. BTW, how is your collection coming along? How many different ones do you have now?

Adjusted the title to reflect the content.
And try to avoid pinging developers. Although I'd assume they switched off pings anyway, cause otherwise they'd get flooded with notifications.

2 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

Adjusted the title to reflect the content.
And try to avoid pinging developers. Although I'd assume they switched off pings anyway, cause otherwise they'd get flooded with notifications.

Thanks for adjusting the title
I apologize for pinging a dev, I did not see that pinging the devs was against forum rules. I try not to break any rules but if the rules are not written then it is ya know, kinda difficult not to break them.

I'll try better next post

20191024053533_1.thumb.jpg.a8afcc63af515a71e1ae50b4004cd36a.jpg
So it is these items and items like these. I'm not really sure what to call them. A couple of sites call them minerals. 
They come from fauna. Exclusively? From rocks too? Ok well anyway, the clovers (that's what I call them I don't know what they are really called) right behind my little big man, on Atrox they were an awesome green. Cool shiny center with a pretty shade of green on Atrox. Bring them back here to Sylvia, and it changes color. The rose/orange is pretty too but more colors are much more appealing. 

So I'm wanting to know why? Why would the art department make dozens of wonderfully colored items only to have them change? What is the purpose? 

If it does not matter to the devs, then can ya'll stop changing the colors?
I'm a big fan of your work! I'm trying to fill one of these storages for each of your works. The issue is I go to Atrox, collect 24 beautiful green clovers, bring them back to the home base on Sylvia thinking I just filled another storage only to find out that once again, I just wasted my time collecting an item I already have 24 of. 

Please, if you don't mind, can you stop doing this? Please keep the colors permanent on all planets? I'm sure there was a reason why to do this way back when but is it still a reason now? Can't we have permanent pretty and variety?
And by "we" I mean me, because well, who else but me is collecting things anyway? So us collectors may be few in numbers, but with your help, by letting beauty reign, we can develop legions of collectors of your beautiful artwork!

does it change back if you move it back?

It could be that each planet as a colored light filter applied to keep them looking unique. So when you move it, the light falling on it changes.  It's the same as painting a room and finding out it looks very different than it did in the paint store.  It's not the object that changes, it's the light. 

Instead of asking for the light to be consistent across the entire game, I'd suggest asking for a colored light we can set up. Then you can create a display area that is "as it appears on ..." 

Edited by Bargeral

4 hours ago, Bargeral said:

does it change back if you move it back?
That is a great question, I don't know. But I'm a gonna find out! 

It could be that each planet as a colored light filter applied to keep them looking unique. So when you move it, the light falling on it changes.  It's the same as painting a room and finding out it looks very different than it did in the paint store.  It's not the object that changes, it's the light. 

Instead of asking for the light to be consistent across the entire game, I'd suggest asking for a colored light we can set up. Then you can create a display area that is "as it appears on ..." 

Well, this could be a thing I suppose but it is not a light issue when it comes to seeds. Or the squiggly things that pop out when one destroys fauna. Their colors remain. When I gather seeds and bring them back to Sylvia, my home base, they don't change colors. When I gather soil from other planets and bring it back to Sylvia, my home base, the soil doesn't change. I'm willing to bet it is just an oversight. A switch needs to be put into the on or off position. Some line of code needs to read positive rather than negative or vise versa. 
I just can't figure out what the purpose would be if it were intentional. And if it makes no difference to any dev, which I can't imagine it would, can ya'll switch it so the colors don't change?

hehe, just noticed the very same issue but for a far simpler case - all happening on Silva: collected some small research samples from a plant in the forest - blue longer bolt shape with two yellow rings strapped on it, with the lower one a little wider. went back to base dropped them off, wandered around into a mountain biome, picked up some mineral samples and walked back to drop these off... but suddenly the plant samples were now... purple with greenish rings??

tested this a few time with walks to different biomes: each time the game loads the resources of that biomes samples change their palettes. apparently those research samples don't save their biome/color information - so whenever you walk away far enough for the engine optimizer to unload some of their data from memory their palette information gets lost. when you get back to them and the engine reloads them it just sets their palette to whatever was loaded last. 

the only way to preserve their color information is to always keep them close i suppose.

so... we could accept that it is the nature of small research samples to change their colors always according to the current biome. because changing behavior might actually be a somewhat bigger bugfix that might require adapting some the inner game architecture (talking from experience where sometime changing the most easy and insignificant seeming things turns out to be a huge task due to the code structure being incompatible with it). this would affect a lot of game aspects, including save game which i would not want to risk breaking over this. then again System Era is not such big company so there is a chance their don't have enough IT people to break everything trying while trying to fix the issue :P (... sadly again talking from experience, where the bigger the IT departament gets the more things get broken in the process of fixing minor but deeper layered issues).

I noticed quite while ago: same plant or a rock growing these samples always different. I always collect those around the base, not storing them, just eating them. So every next time I make a run for the same plants/rocks the samples can be same, or can be different. So maybe it is just a mechanics of how they are, just to be random, u know? :)

57 minutes ago, Mio said:

I noticed quite while ago: same plant or a rock growing these samples always different. I always collect those around the base, not storing them, just eating them. So every next time I make a run for the same plants/rocks the samples can be same, or can be different. So maybe it is just a mechanics of how they are, just to be random, u know? :)

I dig what you are saying @Mio but why? 
Why have them change? Why not just have them be?
What is the purpose behind having the colors change? 
Can't it be stopped?

2 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I dig what you are saying @Mio but why? 
Why have them change? Why not just have them be?
What is the purpose behind having the colors change? 
Can't it be stopped?

again, most probably technical/implementation reasons i described in my prior post. and again, i think this might be not trivial to change.

Edited by Killtech

Well, that's unfortunate if it is true @Killtech, although I must say, I like my theory better; someone just has to change a word in the code from true to false or visa versa and BOOM, fish fish got my wish!

Research pods don't change colors being moved from planet to planet
Seeds don't change colors
The "S" type seed things that pop out when destroying some plants don't change colors from planet to planet

🤞

but what I was saying, that they change colour even on the same planet even withing 10-15 minutes on respawn, maybe it's weather or mood or solar flares :)

51 minutes ago, Mio said:

but what I was saying, that they change colour even on the same planet even withing 10-15 minutes on respawn, maybe it's weather or mood or solar flares :)

As you know, I wish it would stop. Why?

Because they are really pretty, most of them are anyway. And for a collector of fine works of art, I'm obligated to collect, to admire, to hoard!
I'm an army of one! Of 4+ million copies sold, I'm the only one that is diggin on the SES art department. Excuse me, SES Art Department. Gotta put those caps on there

@SES_Veronica or @SES_Adam  I've got a collection of research pods, of seeds of other items I don't know the proper names of. I'm trying to do what you said that we the players have to do since you the game developers are NOT providing a story. So, I'm trying to make up my own story and ya'll are chapter blocking me! 😎

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

Bug or no bug

Soil color or no soil color

It's amazing!

I want to start my own collection just to observe the mysterious happenings of the Research Samples.

On 10/25/2019 at 4:56 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

As you know, I wish it would stop. Why?

Because they are really pretty, most of them are anyway. And for a collector of fine works of art, I'm obligated to collect, to admire, to hoard!
I'm an army of one! Of 4+ million copies sold, I'm the only one that is diggin on the SES art department. Excuse me, SES Art Department. Gotta put those caps on there

@SES_Veronica or @SES_Adam  I've got a collection of research pods, of seeds of other items I don't know the proper names of. I'm trying to do what you said that we the players have to do since you the game developers are NOT providing a story. So, I'm trying to make up my own story and ya'll are chapter blocking me! 😎

I think Creative Mode will be somewhat helpful in this regard. Stay tuned :)

6 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Thank you so much @SES_Veronica, the response is GREATLY appreciated! 

Wait that's illegal, you pinged a mod, but I guess its okay since they would have turned off pings.

1 hour ago, TMarcher74 said:

Wait that's illegal, you pinged a mod, but I guess its okay since they would have turned off pings.

That's a dev.
Even more illegal. Kappa