Vimmerion

Some end-game ideas

So after a while You start collecting a lot of bytes.... and when new update comes in, well... if you don't start over You can almost immediately unlock all stuff You want. And that's great for some stuff, but I think there is a potential for adding some high-cost unlocks.

My ideas:
1. ExoComputer. - Basically just a printable big computer with functionality of "researching" new end-game technologies. Upgraded version of research catalog. It can contain a research tree where unlocks depend on previous one.

2. new technology: upgrade modules. allows to unlock : powerUpgradeModule (and maybe some more).

2a Power module. item connected to T1 slot on base, that makes all power consuming devices (printers, shredders etc.) connected on this grid "more efficient" for example by 5%.

3 new technology: nanotechnology / miniaturization. Allows to research new versions of tool mods. All these new modded 'caps' are connecting to t1 slots of exotool but have another t1 slot on top of them. Cannot stack (so must be connected to tool directly). and affect connected modules.

3a. booster module. Increasing connected mod ability. FE Wide mod gets even wider, or canister fills up quicker, etc.

3b. requires both 2 & 3 tech unlocked. Efficiency module attachable to backpack, makes attached component more efficient (so portable oxy consumes less power or cannisters fills quicker or generator produces more power)

4 Gravitation technology.

4a Planet specific vehicle modules, that requires planet core "key" and something else to produce. When attached to vehicle it always act as on surface of that planet, even when being close to core. 

5. GPS technology. 
5a Sattelite launch pad
5b Sattelite. at least 12 should be send to orbit (or more?) to make system operational.

5c GPS Marker. - upgraded version of beacon, but player can name it

5d. GPS Nav. Intractable, connected to suit aux slots.  allows to select from placed markers by name (or iterates through them while displaying name ) when marker is selected displays "holographic" arrow over it pointing straight to marker.

I had some more ideas, but didn't write them down, but I'm sure Our Mighty Devs can come up with some more awesome ideas.
All of above should unlock with high amount of bytes and require end-game materials to produce.

OK so I can't find edit and just remembered myself one of other thing I was thinking - melter, that lets player melt solids and keep them in cannisters. melted objects could be like another item for recepies or just used only for storage and solified to be used. Also a big container was in my mind, but with upcoming groundwork update we will get medium, so it's nice. (however large container (like Silo-storage big) would be nice as well :):):) )

4 minutes ago, Vimmerion said:

OK so I can't find edit and just remembered myself one of other thing I was thinking - melter, that lets player melt solids and keep them in cannisters. melted objects could be like another item for recepies or just used only for storage and solified to be used. Also a big container was in my mind, but with upcoming groundwork update we will get medium, so it's nice. (however large container (like Silo-storage big) would be nice as well :):):) )

so, basically your 'melter' corresponds to this idea for an end game storage i made here:

though i don't think we need to think of the items inside such storage as melted nor would it be fitting for the game to have recipes using that specific state. the storage aspect is good enough and worthwhile on its own.

as for high byte-cost research items, yeah for players that have played for some time and sit on huge amount of bytes (like me) it seems to make sense. but for new players or people starting over you would create a huge grind wall with a not-so-rewarding repetitive gameplay to crack it. no, i think the research system needs some changes to be able to better enhance the experience for both older saves and newly started sessions first.

for one i would suggest that research samples of identical type get a diminishing returns. this would encourage exploration - especially in late-game - and would limit the amount of bytes people collect. of course those people that meticulously explore all planets and their biomes will still pile up a substantial amount (allowing to unlock everything whenever an update hits) but it won't be magnitudes more then other players have. in this case (relatively) high unlock costs could work. additionally new updates could also drop new research item types into the world to help with unlocks in new games.