Gina

SES teased changes to shredding, let's discuss!

Last night Joe teased some changes to shredding and what is and isn't scrappable.  This certainly isn't a new topic of discussion for this forum, we have talked about it many, many, many, many, many, many, many times (I undoubtedly missed some of the many) -- but Joe asked so let's talk! 

• What do you think is small enough to be added to the Shreddable-Items list?
  • What items should not be shreddable? 

The things that came up right out of the gate when he asked were:

Add:
+ Platforms
+ Packaged items

Don't Add:
- Shuttles 

Shredding Changes.png

I agree with the suggestions from Discord and would also add

+ The base of the EXO Research Aid pyramids
+ The found backpacks of deceased Astroneers (RIP)
+ All items printed by the backpack, small, or medium printer that aren't already shreddable -- including vehicles, even if they have to be packed up first so that I can lift them into the shredder.

I agree that everything that can be made and found as scrap out on these planets should be able to be turned into scrap.

As for shuttles - why not?  You plan on making an Extra Extra Large Scrapper just for those?

I still have my small and medium shuttles sitting there doing absolutely nothing.  Would be nice to reconstitute those items into something useful instead of continuing to be an eyesore.

Jandus

I think a good idea would be to use dynamite to blow up larger items such as vehicles or XL items to give shreddable debris. It would add a nice function to dynamite and allow us to easily break down larger items for the XL Shredder, including shuttles and vehicles.

Maybe add upgradable shredders to the game that could be improved as you go through the game. So your shredder can shred more stuff be more efficient quicker etc

Just now, Jandus said:

As for shuttles - why not?  You plan on making an Extra Extra Large Scrapper just for those?

The only reason I am against this is because all shredders can only shred the items that are 1 tier down.  Medium Shredders shred small items, Large Shredder shreds medium items, and the Extra Large Shredder shreds Large items.  The Extra Large Shredder is printed at the Large Printer, so it should not be able to shred anything that is also printed at the Large Printer.  I think the only way around this is to be able to shred packages.  I'd totally sacrifice a packager for the ability to scrap my Small Shuttle!

1 minute ago, Gina said:

The only reason I am against this is because all shredders can only shred the items that are 1 tier down.  Medium Shredders shred small items, Large Shredder shreds medium items, and the Extra Large Shredder shreds Large items.  The Extra Large Shredder is printed at the Large Printer, so it should not be able to shred anything that is also printed at the Large Printer.  I think the only way around this is to be able to shred packages.  I'd totally sacrifice a packager for the ability to scrap my Small Shuttle!

Yeah you should definitely be able to scrap packaged items now that I think about it

1 minute ago, ProGamerDoggo said:

What about shredding the field shelter? it looks like it could fit in a large shredder

It's printed by the small printer BUT you can't pick it up when it's unpacked.  I think whatever rules apply to vehicles like the tractor, buggy, and medium rover should apply to the Field Shelter...hopefully that will be shredding it is allowed in its packaged form.

4 minutes ago, Gina said:

Sounds like a plan.  If you wanna be consistent then this sounds fine if not a bit awkward - to package something JUST to shred it.  I'd just like to get rid of all this junk I don't need. :)  Hell, I'd be willing to be able to blow up the shuttles if just to get rid of them! ;)

Jandus

Just now, Jandus said:

Hell, I'd be willing to be able to blow up the shuttles if just to get rid of them! ;)

This is already an option.  I suggest igniting the Dynamite and then picking the item up while it ticks down and ultimately explodes.  That way you don't have any damage to the ground around you/your base.

10 minutes ago, Gina said:

The only reason I am against this is because all shredders can only shred the items that are 1 tier down.  

And btw, if the goal is to be able to shred everything, with this 'rule' setup, I don't see how you could ever do it.  Every new tier you create wouldn't be able to be shredded without making another tier. :(

7 minutes ago, Gina said:

This is already an option.  I suggest igniting the Dynamite and then picking the item up while it ticks down and ultimately explodes.  That way you don't have any damage to the ground around you/your base.

Oh really?  Nice.  Well, if the Devs decide that the shuttles are off-limits for shredding I just might do this. ;)  Thanks for the info!

If it can be made it should be shredable, IMHO

20 minutes ago, Jandus said:

I agree that everything that can be made and found as scrap out on these planets should be able to be turned into scrap.

I still have my small and medium shuttles sitting there doing absolutely nothing.  Would be nice to reconstitute those items into something useful instead of continuing to be an eyesore.

Jandus

+1 This so much this

As others have put, scrapping packaged items would be fantastic and should be the headline change for this revisit. 

Creating debris by breaking/blowing up things deemed too large could be cool too. 

I too don't see why at least small/medium shuttles can't get scrapped. Especially if packaged.

Maybe the resources used to craft items could affect shredability too, like items with diamond in might be too hard for a tungsten carbide shredder. SES could change the recipe for the XL shredder to enable it to shred anything... 

As said above everything should be scrapable, including the sun... wait what?

on a serious note, i do second the size limit i.e. shredders shouldn't handle items the same size or larger than they are. we need therefore a mechanic to break up very large debris into large parts, large into medium and so on. dynamite might do the job for one. but as it is a rather high tier item we need a simpler alternative, like a special new terrain tool mod for that. with something like that the small printer would at least have a rare use case. 

maybe the medium shredder should be allowed to shred resources directly (since each actually has a hidden scrap value from which debris/building scrap totals are calculated) - this would take significantly longer and thus cost a lot more power but one would not have to go the annoying workaround of printing stuff in the backpack just to scrap it next. the medium one should of course be the only one specialized for this.

as an alternative to scrapping it would also be cool if there were a repair tool that uses scrap to repair debris into the corresponding functioning building. that we we would have more interesting use for scrap for one and it would allow to repair and then package stuff. that would add some value to exploration.

Oh as for the scrap-able item list expansion:

• vehicle wrecks. need to be made movable to begin with though
  • Exo-research pods bottom side (after opening). They need to made movable
  • man made research items (e.g. from opened Exo-research pods) since the do look scrap-able
  • maybe mineral research items? -> these would be scrapped into resources rather then scrap? like loam, quartz and raw metal ores?
  • maybe organic research items -> into compound, resin and organic? maybe some special ones could contain gases?
Edited by Killtech

Literally anything that could fit in a shredder in any rotation.

I would also like to see scrap versions of all of the items, including old ones. So broken pre 0.6 bases, broken SREV mk1s, broken vehicle bays, broken hydrazine catalyzers, broken old printers, etc. I think it would add a bit more depth to the game, and something fun for old players to find.

I think for any large and big items that would need a even crazier and bigger shedder, you be able to just craft a "Trash rocket", then you attach it to the shuttle or vechicle you want destory, then you deploy the rocket and it just sends it to the atmosphere to blown up, or just let us when a item is in its box form to always be able to blow up, I don't really care too much about the scrap because by the time you have a problem with too many shuttles, scrap doenst really matter 

18 hours ago, Jandus said:

I still have my small and medium shuttles sitting there doing absolutely nothing. 

I took and parked all of the smaller shuttles out on the "Mystery Satellite" and then used the Gateway Fast Travel Network to return to Sylva where my large shuttle was parked. Granted, they are just sitting out there, but it is an "Out of sight, out of mind" situation with them out there on the MS.

12 hours ago, crazymachinefan said:

I would also like to see scrap versions of all of the items, including old ones.

That's a great suggestion, CMF! I played EA too and miss seeing some of that old machinery. Many of the early base parts and vehicles were very cool looking. Finding wrecked ones would be a great addition to the game.

Edited by Flyingcrowbar

Why not just allow the dynamite to destroy parts of the Shuttles and make them smaller to facilitate SCRAPPING!. Even if it sends if flying ,you can go find it.

On 10/22/2019 at 9:40 PM, sdkphoenix said:

I think a good idea would be to use dynamite to blow up larger items such as vehicles or XL items to give shreddable debris. It would add a nice function to dynamite and allow us to easily break down larger items for the XL Shredder, including shuttles and vehicles.

+1001 to this pretty please! :)

Also since we can pick up broken rover and throw it into shredder can we also pretty please pick up other half of exo dynamics reseach containers same as the cover. And also pretty please can we pick up those tiny shuttles with 3 resource slots that can be found sometimes in the wilderness.