Ruppdee

Automated Shuttle

My idea involves the quick transporting of equipment boxes to planet bases.

First imagine the player has a base on Vesania or Glacio for instance and the bases must have twin landing pads or a large printed BASEPAD with twin landing pads (which doesnt exist yet). The player on Sylva is going to Vesania with a large shuttle but cannot fit everything they need onto it but rather than cart the goods between the two planets and take two trips and they have a spare medium shuttle that can carrying that one last piece of stores they need. The player can tap into the shuttle like any other Astroneer hardware and select on a menu a planet they have bases with the large landing pads and tell the shuttle to go there and wait. Then the Astroneer takesoff in the large shuttle and when they arrive at Vesania the other shuttle is waiting on the 2nd pad to unload. And then the process can be reversed or they can send the shuttle off to another destination to wait again. .could that actually be possible?

As long there is no automated way to load/unload its kind of limited in usefulness.

Kind of hat the same idea some time ago:

There was another idea to be able to call shuttles from remote locations which would also work good in conjunction (but I can't find the topic)

I hate to disagree but I wouldnt say limited at all. Indespensible I would say actually.Such a thing has many uses.but the greatest would be for carrying extra cargo to a specified planet base and then wait.

Well, but if you could send it to the landing pad next to your gas production and call it back when it's fully loaded it would actually be even more comfortable ;)

Edited by Igoooor

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea!

My refined version:

0. allow to assign a "color" (or name) to landing pads and shuttles

1. allow any shuttle with hydrazine thrusters to be sent to a landing pad after a short countdown (so you could actually board or abort)

2. allow any landing pad to call in a shuttle with hydrazine thrusters

3. have a special big landing pad that includes a hydrazine tank and some storage space (like the one in the tutorial) that can be set to either load or unload shuttles from/info its storage.

I could think of a lot of situations to use this, the "limitation" is just the fact, that you would need a lot of shuttles and landing pads if you have to load/unload them manually.

dispatching a reasonably well laden spare shuttle on an automated flight to a planet or moon or your choice that you were going to in the future to wait to be used again.if you could manufacture a series of such shuttles that have been loaded for resources or whatever and sent to bases on planets or moons which desperately need them and can be unloaded and reloaded with cargo or resources for a return flight..

which raises a little question. Do full hydrazine canisters that are carried as cargo automatically replace empty ones on the hydrazine fuelled rocket engine?