Killtech

New end game storage, reducing clipping issues

Since launch the game got a few storage updates, mainly the MSS (medium storage silo) and its two large storage counterparts. now while that is great for transporting stuff it has introduced a lot of clipping issues which are most apparent when two MSS are mounted next to each other and the items they carry overlap. in such cases you click to collect an item you see but you get the item that is overlapping with it. obviously this is quite annoying.

Medium Compressing Storage:

a new end game storage item. basically the medium soil canister coming with next update - but instead of soil it would work for resources. however it could store only one resource type at a time meaning that once you put e.g. aluminium into an empty compressing storage it would only accept aluminium and nothing else until emptied again. 

Pros:

• can store significantly more then a MSS (something between 50 and 100 items?)
  • game performance: items within the internal storage are no physical objects anymore thus don't require any calculation time.
  • visually much smaller with little potential for clipping (think of 12 of these are attached on a large storage silo B instead of MSS full of items)

Cons:

• stores items of one type only
  • requires a little power each time an item is stored/compressed into it

unlike the medium canister however input and output mode would not require manual switching. the input slot will immediately store items and thus clear itself. it won't accept items of the wrong type. the output slot on the other hand will always have an item for as long as the container isn't empty. if removed it will immediately be replaced by another from the internal storage. therefore it also serves the important function to display which resource type the container contains.
(for reference, this is my original concept before the medium soli canister was added)

now with such a new container we should have little storage problems left. this should give us a some freedom to fix the most problematic clipping issues. a simple solution is to block MSS from being placed on medium slots that are directly next to each other. for example on a large storage silo B with 12 medium slots it would mean that you could occupy only 6 of them with MSS (placing them in a checker pattern) while the remaining rest could still be used for the old classic medium storage. this is also a nice side effect that renders the medium storage not entirely obsolete.

from the implementation point of view you would mark problematic modules like the MSS with an oversize property which would trigger the blocking mechanics for the platform/module they were placed on. as such it would not prevent clipping between modules placed on different platforms/modules. this however is okay as it happens rarely enough while being far more difficult to solve. in any case the oversize property would be applicable to any future modules with the same problem.

Edited by Killtech

Cool. Like this idea. Having a massive pool of aluminium etc available without worrying about individual blocks is great! 

Otherwise I'd like to make more use of the shrinking tech. For example, storage items printed from a "Compressor Small Printer" or "Compressor Medium Printer" that use the original recipe plus some Astronium to produce a lil version of the original item. The medium silo printed would act like the current version but shrinked down 4 or 5 times to improve clipping/overlap. 

I love the power requirement on access idea! It pushes this kind of thing into later game. 

Absolutely this, I think it would help with the some of the frame rate issues too. I have a huge pile of scrap and when I can hear a lot of 'clicking' from that area the slowdown is horrifying (XB1). A little jolt with my terrain tool and the pile soon settles down and frame rates go back to normal. 

Is this like storing the items inside a computer, and you would use an access panel to insert or withdraw items?  Can machines pull from this inventory as well?

6 hours ago, zardada said:

Is this like storing the items inside a computer, and you would use an access panel to insert or withdraw items?  Can machines pull from this inventory as well?

well, kind of, yes. i'd prefer the insert or withdraw be as automated as possible without the need of an access panel. it should of course also work with the automatic resource pulling for production buildings that are on the same platform - i.e. it should work like any other storage in this regard. perhaps when used on a mining rover it should take priority of storing resources that match the current content of the storage. only if it is empty and therefore viable to take anything the pulling should be disabled such that the storage does not automatically select the resource type to store. that should always be done manually.