Satellite GPS

How would this work?    You would need access to the largest rocket(Titanium alloy one). First you would need to research the satellite and a satellite bay. The satellite bay would be made in a large printer and the satellite in a medium printer. You would place the satellite bay into the rocket, it would take up the whole storage. (The satellite bay would have a little crane arm inside) Before you were to place the satellite into the bay you would have an option to two storage spots on it. (Two single ports)        But before we get into the fun part I want to explain how the satellite system would actually work. What you would do is craft a viewing panel(or something idk), it would cost something like one glass or something. When you have it in your inventory you can hold F on it to inspect it. When you do it expands to fill your screen like the research module on your backpack. It will show you a view of the entire planet. You can drag it along with your mouse. And when you want to get out of it you just click of the screen. You will see a little spot on this map which is you.       Now that we have that cleared up let’s get to the ports!

On the satellite you could either place a battery and a solar panel(The satellite has its own battery) or even an ore if you so much desire. But! The satellite has special abilities, if you place a probe scanner in one of the slots. You can use the satellite to spot probes. If you wanted to place a camera onto it. It would allow you to zoom in and out on the map and maybe take photos. Now all of these take power of course so if you use the satellite to ping a probes location it will run out of power, if you have placed a solar panel on it will slowly recharge so you will be able to ping it again. Now when you send a satellite into orbit with a piece attached to it, you cannot change it. And if you have sent a satellite into orbit you can’t send another one on the planet. What you would do is have this little destruct option on the viewing panel. Like a red button, the same as the one on the researcher which cancels a research piece and destroy’s it. When you press it the satellite will fall and will place a beacon on its landing if you want to go and look for it.(Once you send a new one, the beacon would disappear but the loot would stay.)

Now how would you get it into orbit you ask, well it’s quite simple. Just stick your satellite into the bay(that is in the rocket), get in and press C to launch and when you get to orbit. It will give you the option V to release the satellite or C to launch into the solar system. When you press V,  your rocket would rotate a little bit revealing the storage bay. It would open show the satellite in the satellite bay. A crane arm in the bay would push the satellite out. It would drift out of view and you would be done. You could get done with business and either fly away or land back on the planet. 

+1, cool ideas, I love how you use different stuff like cameras to take photos and probes to scan stuff, very nice concept, love it.

Edited by TMarcher74

+1 But why limit satelite to one use only. Let's make option that you can take large rocket with crane, and insted of launching to space or landing you waiting in orbit for satelite to grab. Then you can make upgrades, change of equipment.

On 10/18/2019 at 2:45 PM, Michal Lachut said:

+1 But why limit satelite to one use only. Let's make option that you can take large rocket with crane, and insted of launching to space or landing you waiting in orbit for satelite to grab. Then you can make upgrades, change of equipment.

I just feels more realistic. Sattelites that fly around our planet can't really be taken back. I mean, obviously for design the sattelite wouldn't be stationary in space. It just wouldn't make alot of sense. So having a crane reach out somewhere into space just doesn't seem right.

On 10/22/2019 at 6:59 AM, LittleBIGman said:

I have been playing astroneer since day 1, still hope and wish we will get some kind of navigation tool.

Activate the gateway chambers and use the stars to navigate to them.  This works great with large rover, drill and paver.

5 minutes ago, zardada said:

Activate the gateway chambers and use the stars to navigate to them.  This works great with large rover, drill and paver.

I mean in real life, would you rather go around the planet using the stars, or get a gps. I think I personally myself would use GPS. I would say that same applies here.