TMarcher74

Let me present to you one of the very first leeks for the next update

5 hours ago, vvhorus said:

As someone who develops commercial art and digital products for a living, I perfectly understand your position. Development takes time, no one is arguing that fact. My point is that all this development time is being spent on things that, in my eyes (and in the eyes of others), are not compatible with or do not subscribe to the space exploration core concept in Astroneer.

Let's be honest. If I wanted to play Rocket League, I would play Rocket League. If I wanted to play chess, I would grab my board, or I would get a proper chess video game. If the intention with the chess pieces was to make us explore, why chess pieces and not, for example, electronic logs with information pertaining to each of that planet's resources, flora, or locations? Why not pieces of alien tech that, when combined, could produce something useful and game-changing? Why "toy items" instead of useful exploration gear? Do you understand what I mean? Give us things that go along with the game's core concept and less one-off gimmicky "toy" items. Replayability is getting very low and repetitiveness is very high. Sadly, long gone are the days of Starflight: a game where two 5.25" 360k floppy disks could give you months of exploration in a story-rich universe with hundreds of explorable planets and a myriad of alien races vs. the current "make your own story" game development approach, which I think is lazy. If you don't know about Starflight, I encourage you to google it...

I also understand your quote "Everyone wants what they want and nobody wants the same thing."  I deal with subjectivity on a daily basis in my line of work. I personally know how frustrating it is to hear from someone that they don't like what you've produced. I understand that we can't always please everyone, but those are also the things that drive me to be better, to try harder, and to focus. Whether it be the intention or not, some of us feel that Astroneer is losing its focus and deviating from what made the game so good.

Having said all this: ultimately it's your game and your vision. You can make it whatever you want. I'm just disappointed that the game has derailed from what I used to like, and now it has become just another entry in my Steam list...

I hear you and thanks for being honest. The type of stuff you want in the game is the same stuff I want in the game, for what its worth.

The core concept of Astroneer remains true, but the game is about so much more than that so we build upon everything and not just one thing. If you've been following since early access I can understand the perspective you have, but the game has evolved so much since then to be a game for many types of players wanting many types of experiences from the game. I feel the opposite of you, where throughout development we learned from our players the many ways they play our game and have since been laser focused on what Astroneer has been for quite some time; a playful science fiction sandbox adventure you experience alone or with friends.

I hope you keep an eye on our updates and come back around when future updates are more to your preference. ✌

1 hour ago, SES_Adam said:

I hope you keep an eye on our updates and come back around when future updates are more to your preference. ✌

@SES_Adam

Thanks for keeping up with the game. I was wondering about the weather events. I'd love to see the storms return in some fashion. Building a storm-fort to hold off the deadly UPS boxes was my favorite part of the game. I'd be happy with a toggle-able setting when starting a new game to include storms or other weather events. I heard rumors of high and low temperatures and maybe the team could bring back the radiation storms from the old irradiated planet. For me, the risk of getting caught on the surface during a storm was a thrilling part of the game. I know other players really hated everything about the storms, but for me it made the game. I hope that weather events (or hopefully the old storms) will make a reappearance sooner, rather than later.

Thanks again for your work!

12 hours ago, SES_Adam said:

I hear you and thanks for being honest. The type of stuff you want in the game is the same stuff I want in the game, for what its worth.

The core concept of Astroneer remains true, but the game is about so much more than that so we build upon everything and not just one thing. If you've been following since early access I can understand the perspective you have, but the game has evolved so much since then to be a game for many types of players wanting many types of experiences from the game. I feel the opposite of you, where throughout development we learned from our players the many ways they play our game and have since been laser focused on what Astroneer has been for quite some time; a playful science fiction sandbox adventure you experience alone or with friends.

Thank you for engaging with your community. Much appreciated.

Just keep in mind that not all players who bought this game are kids. I'm 47 and I've enjoyed the game since EA day 1...

About that big fog horn:
First thing that came to my mind when I found it: what's the point?
Second thing was, let's try plugging in some helium to change its tone 😍 You know, just for fun since it's a recreational thing... 
Didn't work, eventhough there's some sort of disabled port on it. So I'm back to the first question: what's the point of it?

5 hours ago, Bushmills said:

So I'm back to the first question: what's the point of it?

Possible Answers
1. Wicked fun! I mean, a horn is totally fun! It will put smiles on faces for miles!
2. We are getting air conditioning in the next update (turn signals after that) so wait until the complete vehicle package is released before you ask questions of the logic behind such a wonderful and much needed addition
3. For the six year olds that play the game? The four year olds?
4.Got a sound guy on staff now, gotta give him something to do to justify the salary
5. Horns = giggles. I couldn't believe it either but watch the video. Horns do indeed produce giggles
6. Already made chess so the next logical thing to make was a horn. Kinda obvious here
7. They are looking to boost sales and player longevity... all the research SES did pointed to horns to solve this issue
8. It was a contest to find the lowest of the lowest hanging fruit?
9. Where would GTA be without them, a failed series that's fer sure! SES does not want to make the same mistakes as GTA!
10. What are ya? a Anti Hornite!  

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

Love your possible answers 🤣
And by the way, I read that you refuse using a solo jetpack because it's ugly and go for double only, for style's sake. I totally agree.

What I will say that I absolutely love about the horns, both of them, is their movements. The way they are animated gives me hope that this is just the first in a long line of; machines, equipment, vehicles etc. that have some type of movements to them like the horns do. I like the possibilities, the potential this type of engineering bring. I'm so sure I would like seeing parts and pieces of my vehicle have movements going over rough terrain and the like. Maybe things should shake, rattle and roll?

I'm not really a fan of the artwork as they look like they were produced last century (1800's) when the game is supposedly taking place some 500 years into the future. I would have prefered some type of modern looking uniqueness. Another example of SES's love/hate relationship with the: future

1 hour ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

What I will say that I absolutely love about the horns, both of them, is their movements. The way they are animated gives me hope that this is just the first in a long line of; machines, equipment, vehicles etc. that have some type of movements to them like the horns do. I like the possibilities, the potential this type of engineering bring. I'm so sure I would like seeing parts and pieces of my vehicle have movements going over rough terrain and the like. Maybe things should shake, rattle and roll?

I'm not really a fan of the artwork as they look like they were produced last century (1800's) when the game is supposedly taking place some 500 years into the future. I would have prefered some type of modern looking uniqueness. Another example of SES's love/hate relationship with the: future

Did you know there are 6 horns, 3 you can print 3 you have to find in the wilderness.
unknown.png

Just now, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Do I have to? 

Well, your wish, I though you liked collecting, I also think the other 3 you have to find sound much better than the buggy Horn.

3 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Any mention of performance upgrades that will be included in the Creative Update? 

Not yet, but I think the update will include optimisation and performance improvisation since its going out on PS4 too, I hope they include it, I would love to play astroneer in the best possible settings but the current version does not let me do that unless I wan to play at <30fps.

Edited by TMarcher74

2 hours ago, TMarcher74 said:

Not yet, but I think the update will include optimisation and performance improvisation since its going out on PS4 too, I hope they include it, I would love to play astroneer in the best possible settings but the current version does not let me do that unless I wan to play at <30fps.

Yeah, I'm between 25 - 30 FPS now. On the home base it is really choppy and challenging to play. Fingers crossed

On 10/31/2019 at 1:41 AM, TMarcher74 said:

Not yet, but I think the update will include optimisation and performance improvisation since its going out on PS4

It's been on Xbox for years. Xbox players sometimes/often struggle to see the end of game sequence. Why would ps4 implementation change that? 

Ed; that said, there have been noticeable and significant upgrades in the past year. I just don't think they'd hold back on a performance boost just for ps4. 

Edited by Blind Io

And putting it as a separate post... 

One of the big fixes for the terrain desync issue might result in the regrowth of some already-mined terrain. Would that be acceptable to the MP Bois? No more desync for a one-off tidy up session? 

I bring you some bad news and some good news
Dedicated servers had to be delayed. They're planned for December now (as a beta). Full rollout in 2020. See the follow-up clips.

Good news is that we can host our own servers -

I will never ever watch any streams in the morning anymore... this just ruined my whole day, or a week... I thought: this time, this time it will be it now! but yeah... think I am moving to the camp "never believe anyone and u will be pleasantly surprised... very seldom..."

*super sad kitty just turned around and went into the darkness*

8 hours ago, TMarcher74 said:

Super Tool: It looks more or less the same as what we have now. Any ideas on what makes it super?
Creative mode colour selection: The suit is nothing I would use however what's with the eye droppers? 
God mode: I don't think this will be for me. After a few hundred hours on the same save game, I'm pretty much in God mode now, no? TBH, I'm not sure what God mode is or will be in this game.
Terrain Anchor: I'm very intrigued. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what this is and does? Don't miss the new buttons on the top. A plant, a light and a magnifying glass?
Goodbye desync: Thank you @SES_Brendan!
Another random leek: A lot to unpack here! First the big blue box. I want two. In my house. On either side of the couch as end tables. Two different colored packaged items? Three? Silver & Gold? Is that a bow on those packaged items? Did those packaged items fall out of the big blue box? Why is the face on the big blue box angry? Why is there a face on the big blue box? Can I move the big blue box to my base? I see it is on Glacio, are they on other planets?

Are additional achievements going to be added to this update? 

So now that we are not getting Dedicated Servers next week, can this update be given before the 15th? 

5 hours ago, Mio said:

I will never ever watch any streams in the morning anymore... this just ruined my whole day, or a week... I thought: this time, this time it will be it now! but yeah... think I am moving to the camp "never believe anyone and u will be pleasantly surprised... very seldom..."

*super sad kitty just turned around and went into the darkness*

Now you're starting to sound like a veteran!
Yeah, you can't get excited for things that are announced. SES has a very long and consistent history of not meeting their own announced release dates. It is very common. I (as I'm sure many other veteran players) knew when it was announced way back when "yeah this is going to be delayed." 
The positive you can take from this is that SES takes many steps to ensure that something as major as Dedicated Servers is not released until it is rock solid. So it may not happen for a few months but when it is released it will most likely have zero negative impact for anyone or any saved games etc. 

Maybe as a gift for no dedicated servers SES will release the update early? 

the new creative mode exposes a few noteworthy aspects about the current sandbox game mode: look how little actually needs changing to go from sandbox to full creativity mode! the terrain tool in creative is nearly the same as the current one. yeah, it has a easier pipette function - but since terrain color don't really matter mechanics wise i wonder why we don't get the same in the normal game but rather have to go through cumbersome terrain analyzers (it would make sense to make it more difficult if the terrain produced would have some different gameplay associated with it). and the flying mode: looks like a tier 3 upgrade for the jetpack - as in a little more convenient and better but not so different after all. and even being able to turn off oxygen and power requirements is not such a big change. i mean there is the portable oxygenator but i have unequipped mine long ago as i used it far too rarely to justify the occupied slot.

i am not to say that this is bad, but i just wanted to point out how much the game is catering for the creative gameplay and thus how little these game modes will actually differ. that said it should become clear that for exploration or survival focused gameplay the current sandbox modes is completely unsuited for:

• exploration focus requires that it is not trivial to get everywhere such that it feels like an achievement to reach a certain location.
  • survival on the other hand is about problem solving, a puzzle game how to ensure ones survival on short and long term - and this again requires that this isn't trivial and more importantly that there are problems to solve to begin with. otherwise what's the achievement in surviving?

Well there are more -
Cross-platform is being explored for Steam, Xbox & PS4 - https://clips.twitch.tv/SparklingMistyDootPeanutButterJellyTime
8 Players on Servers and Admin Controls coming soon - https://clips.twitch.tv/AbstemiousCogentClamTwitchRaid
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/471859855305736193/642194888603205642/unknown.png
@The Touch of Grey Gamer

Edited by TMarcher74