TMarcher74

Some resources are not given a lot of use in the game and some are given a lot

• Hydrazine - It is given too much use, used in thrusters, making graphene, used in jetpacks. They should not be used in making graphene as it makes no sense, and is best used as a fuel, also since ammonium is a little hard to find and the soil centrifuge does not offer a fair trade with 2 canisters of soil.
  • Zinc - It is found on almost every planet and in very large quantities but it is used in making the augmented tools and the medium battery that's all, I find sphalerite almost everywhere in the caves of Sylva and some other planets too.
  • Diamond - It is only used in making level 3 drills for  both rovers and terrain tool. Given its lustrous and non-breakable property it is not used a lot.
  • Astronium - Literally has no use, ever since they reduced the byte rate ,it has become even more useless.

What are your thoughts on these usability of these resources, do you have anything else on your mind? Comment down:)

Edited by TMarcher74

i'd rather see more uses for these limited use resources, and i would hope that the devs are planning on more stuff to craft using zinc, diamond, even astronium.

it used to be that batteries were the key to solid base development, so lithum was much sought after. now the RTG has left power storage in the dust, and lithium is looking kinda worthless again. swings and roundabouts.

7 hours ago, Mio said:

isn't RTG requires lithium to build?

Yes it does, but I guess people forget about it since it is easier to gather lithium than to make nano carbon alloy.

13 hours ago, Mio said:

isn't RTG requires lithium to build?

of course. but i find that one RTG per base (and possibly one for a vehicle) is all you need, with maybe a couple of batteries. before, i was setting up 10 or more batteries per base just to keep everything powered. that's a lot less lithium, lads and lasses (sorry, got a bit alliterative, there).

13 hours ago, Bron said:

but i find that one RTG per base (and possibly one for a vehicle) is all you need, with maybe a couple of batteries. before, 

WHAT????? (Lil Jon Voice)

I could not survive playing with just one RTG for my base. My base is HUGE!
In some areas of my base I have a single RTG to power a single machine or a group of machines or most commonly a group of the same machine. In other areas a single RTG could not power all of my production awesomeness! For example when I was firing up 12 research chambers at a time, a single RTG was no match. 

Then there is the artistic aspect of the game. RTG's have color and movement. Look, there is not much time/effort given to base beautification in this game. I'm not saying RTG's can't be improved upon but when placed in concert with one another or in some stand alone situations they can make a decent visual impact.  

Then there is their ease of transport. I have one on my large shuttle at all times when gathering resources and what not. (Cleveland voice) Solar and wind are fine and all however I view them as supplemental to the RTG. That is why I have never nor will I ever make a single battery, wind turbine, or solar panel. All the ones I have, I have found. I did build a large solar panel just to see what it looks like...... Not that large at all. It is still the only one I have of which I have over 200(ish) solar panels

A lesson for all (even me) that not everyone plays the game the same way

What say all of you?

Say it!
Say it!

To me this is part of it and the other part is scrap. Not only should someone much smarter than I propose a reconfigure of all recipes but also the recognition that scrap would and should play a much larger role in the construction of everything. 
There is literally an endless supply of potential scrap via crashed, broken, left behind, etc. man made objects. Then there is the scrap that is just compound to tethers to scrap. 
As the OP states a complete overhaul to resources needs to be addressed and fixed and I think in conjunction with those changes that scrap should play a more important role in constructing as many objects as it makes sense to. Scrap is the hinge, the handle, the lens, the screw, the wire harness, the tie downs, the red foot pegs,  etc. It just makes sense, you are in space, you don't have every single widget and wadget one needs at all times. Ain't no parts store down the street. 

As far as Astronium I've said it before and I'll post it again....the jack of all resources. Whatever you need; gas, solid, or liquid Astronium is a potential solution 

On 10/10/2019 at 10:37 AM, TMarcher74 said:

since ammonium is a little hard to find and the soil centrifuge does not offer a fair trade with 2 canisters of soil.

You shouldn't use soil centrifuge for anything else than compound, resin or organic as soon as you get a trading platform. The best trade with scrapping winches will give you net profit of 4 scrap per 2 containers of soil and that trades for 4 ammonium instead of 1.

When trading scrap that 2 containers of soil will also give you 8 graphite, quartz or clay. Pure profit over using centrifuge directly not to mention you can also trade for more rare resources (i.e. 2 containers = medium storage silo).

Lithium is kind of worthless because a single deposit is enough to build all the batteries you'll need for a very long while. i mean all batteries just take 1 lithium and same for RTG. a deposit often fills an entire medium storage silo which has 24 slots... and besides mining another vein of lithium isn't hard after one was able to get the first one. 

on the other hand medium batteries store quite a lot of power so you won't build that many for one base. this is unlike titanium or resin which are needed in larger quantities because you build those platforms and storages in larger numbers to cope with how quickly they fill up due to how rich resource deposits usually are! and when you think you have enough a short mining trip will swiftly convince you otherwise. on the other hand when did i ever run low of energy after i had medium batteries? sure running smelter, centrifuge and chem lab at the same time will drain your power supply... but the sun is never absent for long and every here and then the wind blows at night. so whenever there was a moment where i saw my batteries having low charge left and i though to myself that maybe i should've build more then 1 or 2 something happens and they start to charge up again...

15 hours ago, Killtech said:

Lithium is kind of worthless because a single deposit is enough to build all the batteries you'll need for a very long while. i mean all batteries just take 1 lithium and same for RTG. a deposit often fills an entire medium storage silo which has 24 slots... and besides mining another vein of lithium isn't hard after one was able to get the first one. 

Yes they either gotta make finding lithium harder/rarer or reduce the size of deposits, honestly when you find lithium you can fill at least 2 silos.

Until they introduce player mortality by other means and the need of those resource to support ways to avoid to die, most of the resources matter to produce more tools and ways only to gather these resources.