TMarcher74

Discover items as you progress through the game.

Okay when we start off a new save the information about resources and planets should be locked, yes everything should be locked maybe except resin and compound since they are the most basic and important resource and  they should be the only knowledge that the Astroneer should have when landing on Sylva.

The astroneer slowly starts to discover resources one by one when he extracts them through his/her terrain tool. As he/she starts to discover ,the discovered items will be unlocked in their in game wiki and they can view it any time. Even about the planets the Astroneers should not have any info about the wind nor the sunlight, they should test it using wind vanes and solar panels, the same goes with the info on the gases available in the atmosphere, it can be know when they build an atmospheric condenser only.IN this similar way the astroneer starts unlocking one by one and keep gaining knowledge and when he finally unlocks everything he should receive an achievement "The all knower" or something like that, what do you guys think about this idea? Any suggestions?

Posted (edited)

Let the recipes in the catalogue still have the names for the recipe but the Astroneer will not know until he/she discovers the resources mentioned in the recipe.

Edited by TMarcher74

Hmm, that's a difficult one. I love the additional exploration aspect you had in mind there but on the other hand this can quickly become frustrating for new players. I mean when i started out in EA with a friend we were quite frustrated that we couldn't find any iron on the starting planet - so we through that must be a bug or something (it was EA after all and it's really not intuitive that there is no iron on a terran planet mind you that iron is a rather frequent element in the universe). so i really appreciated the in game Astropedia introduced at launch telling us that we don't need to look much further. 

So let's try to turn it around a little to make it work: how about giving the medium research samples a new meaning? researching one could yield an Astropedia article on the biome it came from (with a little screenshot so folks that forgot where they dragged the sample from get reminded), with detailed information what can be found there and in what quantity. i would also suggest that once a research is complete a player would have to step up to the lab, do something that opens the article (so it to make it absolutely obvious that the research sample unlocks biome description) before he can continue with another research. researching another sample from the same biome would of course just work like regular research. Well, maybe there should be a one time bonus for researching a sample type for the very first time. Then i suggest that having researched 8 different types of samples one should unlock the planets article so one knows that some resources require to go into space. 

Note that would also extend the research mechanic far into the late game, a little bit along the path of this thread here:

... That just leaves one problem open: new players landing on Atrox as their first space mission. That might require digging out the old 'rocket range' mechanic but reworked so people don't just sit 15 minutes in space to get to planets they weren't supposed to.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the suggestion @Killtech, I do like your idea of researching, the astroneer has to research a pod from a planet to unlock info about the planet and about the resources that is available on the planet and maybe even about the resources too. The astroneer will receive full info on the planet if he/she researches an artificial research pods like the ones found in EXO dynamic research aids, and he/she will gain part by part knowledge from the ones found naturally. I think this might make it a bit easier for the the players playing for the first time. I think the research from the biome idea also can work the similar way.

Edited by TMarcher74

9 hours ago, Killtech said:

... That just leaves one problem open: new players landing on Atrox as their first space mission. That might require digging out the old 'rocket range' mechanic but reworked so people don't just sit 15 minutes in space to get to planets they weren't supposed to.

Well that can only happen when they actually let us choose which planet to start on, I don't think they are adding it any time soon.