Kaffeepad

How does Multiplayer work?

Hi,

We just wanted to play Astroneer in multiplayer. 3 people, bought with Xbox gold for PC on Microsoft store, same Patchlevel. Even though we are all working in IT we could not get it running. Who needs which ports to open, and why do we need ports at all? Is IPv6 used? What is important on the "Xbox gaming" windows 10 settings? How is the "invite friend" option supposed to work? In the Xbox App, or in the game? Does the app connect the game when the game is running? 

All we get is "session not available", no matter what we try. So far Astroneer is an incredibly frustrating experience. 

Please create a guide on how it's supposed to work.

I wish I could help ya, but I have no idea how any of that works, the only thing I might be able to help with is connecting through the Steam format, but I've never even done that soooo.....

10 minutes ago, Doge229 said:

I wish I could help ya, but I have no idea how any of that works, the only thing I might be able to help with is connecting through the Steam format, but I've never even done that soooo.....

Thank you anyway. So what i found out so far is that you acually need "teredo", which is a networking protocol. There are many many ways that can break that protocol on your computer, including simply having a VPN software. What helped me so far with getting "teredo" working was this command:

netsh interface teredo set state type=enterpriseclient

Found it somewhere in the Internet after a long google search.  Then this has many points that one has to try:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/social/troubleshoot-party-chat

Yes it says "party chat", but it acually fixes "teredo" too.

Next, ones router can be the pitfall. I've had to change a setting which was enabled by default in my AVM Fritzbox: https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-3272/knowledge-base/publication/show/606_Cannot-establish-connections-using-the-Teredo-protocol/

There are other routers affected as well, propably just google for the name and "teredo".

Will try somewhere this week if all this acually fixes Astroneer.

Supposedly during the creative update we will get dedicated servers...It might be easier to just wait 'til then.

Update: it actually helped, see my previous post. Multiplayer is now working. The only fault of the Astroneer Devs is that they have to use the Microsoft Gaming Service, which is easily broken and very hard to recover again.