Sign in to follow this  
Killtech

Unique planet mechanics / hazards

Ever felt that pursuing the main quest gets grindy after unlocking the first few planets? For me that was the point where i had researched the most important stuff and it was just a repetitive task to go from planet to planet and do the same thing over and over again. Because the reality is that while the planets look different they play very much alike. So how about making each planet actually unique with it's own environmental hazards, with an own set of research to deal with them and require you to adapt your routine in order to master each planet.

Storms (Calidor):

The old storm mechanic, but spiced up a little. for one storms should blow away all lose items (technically they should be despawned and be managed in a 'storm inventory'. storms could then later randomly spawn items from their inventory. note that such a technical implementation could help performance at it is a cleanup of unused objects laying around). additionally building or vehicles hit by debris could be damaged. damage would accumulate and provide a growing stat debuff (more energy consumed, less produced, vehicles become slower, ...). but everything can be repaired with a repair tool that consumes scrap (including the randomly spawned debris). Additionally there would be large pressurized and connectable tents (see picture below) with enough space to place a base inside them. there should be a variant with translucent roof to enable placement of solar panels within.

Freezing (Glacio):

Cold environments would cause your buildings and vehicles to freeze after some time at which point they become not operation until heated up again. To counter this there would be heat sources. Small and medium generator would be immune to freezing and heat their surroundings when active. Additionally there would be a researchable heater building that consume energy to produce heat. There should be also an consumable anti-freezing compound consumable item (produced at the chemistry lab) that can unfreeze anything and grant a time limited effect preventing freezing. tents could also be useful here as heaters placed inside would have extended range in the interior.

Acidic corrosion (Atrox):

Acidic air would damage most buildings, vehicles and regular tethers over time. corrosion damage could be repaired with the repair tool mentioned above. the main way to protect against the harsh environment would to put the base inside tents. however it would additionally need an air filter that consumes metal ores to clean up the air of acid - initially when the tent is raised and then a little bit every time an astroneer enters to leaves through an airlock. a protective coating spray consumable would provide time limited protection for outdoor equipment. Acid levels would vary between biomes (affecting corrosion damage frequency).

Power hungry fungus (Vesania, Novus):

A natural fungus from airborne spores that has a habit of being attracted by power lines. Will start to overgrow all buildings stationary vehicles that consume or produce power, which for one makes them operate slower and most importantly drains power from the grid. once infected it spreads to nearby buildings. especially attracted to power producers, most of all RTGs with their constant power output. does not like heat however, so it will avoid active small and medium generators. Fungus can be removed manually. Buildings chance of getting infected can be reduced by heating them (see freezing mechanics) but RTGs would still always be prone to infection. tents with air filters using coal would provide a safe space for a base.

Oxygen free atmosphere (cave biomes of most planets, all of Atrox, Desolo surface only) :

Let's say the oxygen generator we currently have is just an oxygen concentrator and filter - so it requires oxygen to be in the air in the first place. The idea is to add oxygen as a new actual atmospheric resource that can be harvested with the atmospheric condenser, wherever it is present. On planets where it is available the current generator would do its job just as it is right now. but in oxygen free environments we would require other sources. there it would work differently: having an input slot for gas canisters (accepting only oxygen) which it would consume in order to feed the tether network. vehicles have kind of a build-in oxygen generator so they would have to work the same way. note they have large blue oxygen tanks on their sides that are currently purely cosmetic... but would become an actual internal storage for oxygen so one does not have to transport large amounts of gas canisters.

Reactive Rocks (only in a few deep cave biomes):

special new terrain that explodes, gasses off or does something else harmful when drilled (or better when it enters the terrain tool). i.e. stuff you better get through using dynamite (finally giving it a purpose).

Expansive Flora (Vasenia caves):

another fungus vegetation that expands and grows fast. it's main 'hazard' would be that it creates new organic with some of it spawning larger obstacles for vehicles. growth rate will depend on the terrain material but the default gray of normal ramps will get overgrown especially quickly.

I hope the pressurized tents concept has enough different gameplay scenarios to make the idea worth implementing. it is actually a consideration i made because i though calculating whether an interior space closed off by terrain is actually closed might be more complicated to do and more annoying for players to find and seal holes if not. tents would be placed by first placing a tent foundation platform. those could be connected with each other to cover a larger area. then just as the landing platform the tent can be raised forming a single tent over all connected foundations. after that the foundations would provide slots to place buildings on. there would be two airlocks, a personal one and a large one allowing objects up to the size of the medium rover to enter.

marat-amanbaev-mars-base.jpg?1469273500

of course these ideas listed here would break the bases people have established in their saves, so all this would have to come either in a new survival mode or as an starting option when creating a new game (where each hazard can be turned on/off individually). one would always have to start a new game in order to experience a new hazard added later on (well, unless it comes with a new planet that is).

OMG these ideas ,OMG all these are really really awesome, I would like bases in astroneer where we sleep , eat burritos and tacos, change our suits and put on our backpack and then head out to a wonderful journey/adventure, wish they would add bases to astroneer.
I also had made a similar topic to your but a smaller version - 

I like how you gave descriptive idea for every planet ,the ideas are very cool, especially the storm inventory on Calidor, damaging due to storm then repairing with a tool which consumes scrap .Then the freezing on Glacio which can be countered by using a heater and the smelting furnace, generators are immune to freezing. The acid corrosion on Atrox would be very cool, but I guess it would make it really hard to survive on Atrox. The aggressive flora on venasia growing on building is all too good... god this post has too many ideas, its very valuable, and I have to ping the devs @SES_Adam, since I haven't seen them in a long time.
@Killtech the ideas are really awesome man ,great job +100.

I love the idea of tying status effects and hazard types to planets.

Also that art is dope as heck

Thanks. 

On 10/4/2019 at 5:14 AM, TMarcher74 said:

I've read your quoted thread and i like the idea with the catching net. it fits right into a special mechanic while should be easy to implement. so i am all for it.

however having the storm on almost every planet is perhaps overkill an takes away the aspect of making exploring each planet an individual experience. more importantly i would not have any storms on the starting planet. especially in the early game before your base is well established they are just a annoying time sink mechanic since you don't have much choice then sit it out in the shelter. this is why they got removed in the first place i guess. 

But yeah, the storms could be expanded to a one or two more planets then just Calidor and could be coupled with another mechanic like the freezing on Glacio (extra cold/freezing to everything exposed to the storm). Hmm, now that i think about it in some of the deeper cave biomes with very high ceilings i could imagine underground storms to happen. would need to think of something to make them a little more distinct from surface storms though. 

An one last think would be, death on storm: i remember in EA storms just killed you if you didn't find a shelter in time. i think it would be more interesting if it was changed into simply blowing you away... getting displaced and possibly lost with limited oxygen supply is deadly enough but offers you a chance/challenge to survive.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:36 PM, SES_Adam said:

I love the idea of tying status effects and hazard types to planets.

Also that art is dope as heck

Thank you. however the art design is not mine. i stumbled upon it when i was looking for ideas on how to enable enclosed bases which i needed in order to make the counter mechanics a little more unique for each hazard.

When it comes to considering anything of these ideas for implementation the a core mechanic to be implemented beforehand would be the introduction of damage and repair. considering that there is a lot of wreckage modeled for most of the buildings it would make most sense to make good use of it. so basically when anything takes too much damage it changes into the state of broken and with it it gets the corresponding broken model. but via scrap any broken structures could be repaired back into working order which gives all the debris we find out there another interesting use (assuming scrap repair cost is less then half of the value when shredded). 

Oh and it would be a help a little for those scenarios where stuff gets blown up: https://forum.systemera.net/topic/54507-time-to-rage-quit/ ... at least in the sense that instead of plain removing of 'destroyed' structures (all storage stuff usually vanishes) they would change into broken state. resources stored on them might have a chance of survival (depending on resource type) but fly away due to the explosion. by the way i have made a similar experience myself and it took me some time to figure out that the vanished large storage (and all that was on it) was not a bug but counted as destroyed due to a spitter flower. a solid damage mechanic would make all this far more understandable.

@Killtech, thank you and yes I can agree that the starting planet should be calm (without any storms) ,and I do like your idea of how the storm should work, I like it, maybe storms could act like tornados and carry you away but should have a constant oxygen supply if you are in the storm, idk its like some advantage of the storm, being in the storm does not kill you instead it gives you free oxygen supply, like the storm traps oxygen inside the eye ,due to some reaction or they could give something more of a scientific reason or this is some unknown phenomenon that they are unable to explain ,and the astroneer can use this oxygen, but the storm won't last long so the astroneer has to find his way back with oxygen filters and stuff like that, in the explorer update they added small habitat, this could be put to some good use to survive the storms.
What do you think ,i know there is a lot to improvise.

I see your point. Oxygen consumption should be at least halted within the storm for gameplay reasons in order to give you a fair chance to begin with. since the storm has an inventory it would make sense for the mechanic to always spawn some oxygen filters or full oxygen tanks around the area you eventually land on. from there you could always make more if you find any resin.