Slipsonic

New Resource and advanced mod

New resource and advanced mods

Since the groundwork update is coming up,(and since zinc doesn’t have a composite, (and since I want something f***ing useful)) I thought I would elaborate on my idea for new terrain tool mods.

New resource: Brass

Recipe: 1x Zinc and 1x Copper

Use: for making advanced mods.

The brass mods consist of upgraded versions of normal zinc mods, and other mods with new abilities

Upgraded mods:(2,500 bytes each)

Power Mod 2: More Power (2.5x normal)

Wide Mod 2: Wider Circle (2.5x normal)

Narrow Mod 2: Narrower circle (0.25x normal)

Inhibitor Mod 2: attracts resources outside of the circle range

Terrain Analyzer 2: can save 3 colors

Alignment Mod 2: can save an angle to be used elsewhere

Universal abilities/info

They’re is a tooltip on each mod that can switch it to the original mode (excluding the terrain analyzer, and alignment Mod. the tooltips switch color and angle)

The upgraded abilities consume more power, but in the original mode it is more efficient: 0.2U/s normal, 0.4U/s upgraded (haven’t checked, am assuming each mod uses 0.25U/s)

New mods: 0.5U/s (5,000 bytes each) 

Reach Mod: increases your tool reach (1.5x)

Soil Filter: can filter 3 different types of soil into canisters. These soils can increase the amount of resources gained at a soil Centrifuge per canister. *has no drill capabilities*

Phase Mod: Has 2 modes: mode 1 doubles the range that the terrain tool can detect resources through soil. Mode 2 allows you to collect resources without having to actually dig the whole piece out, i.e. The circle just has to touch it.  

(The first mode consumes no power, but the second consumes twice the normal amount.)

You can use all the brass mods on pavers and strength drills too!

P.S Veronica, please don’t go back on adding new soil storage! Any dev please pass this on!

Posted (edited)

wow, no! just no.

boost + wide + diamond drill combo are already now completely overpowered. and you want to add an easily obtainable plain better version - so easy to get that no one would even bother researching the tier I mods?? aside from that, these mods make a lot of game content obsolete and an improved version will make it even worse effectively removing content rather then adding anything...

On 6/24/2019 at 5:25 PM, Killtech said:

I have played Astroneer quite a bit for now and while it is great fun to play i noticed that there are several factors that make long term playing feel rather grindy and repetative. I could go the easy way and say it's just the lack of content to spend that much time on the game but i realized that there is actually enough stuff in the game already but it simply is balaced badly - as a consequence a lot of items become obsolete.

Mining:

The crane: a great feature but ultimately makes no sense to ever build. it gives no advantage to drilling speed of hard rocks over the terrain tool - since it now has drill mods and can use a boost mod on top of that. it also has less range and is immobile while the player can change position easily with the terrain tool. given all the mods that the terrain tool can use and therefore how overpowered it has become difficult to bring the crane back to the game. i wished the devs would make a hard-mode where it's significantly nerfed just so a buffed crane (increased range, allow to use mods) would be the ultimate late game terraforming tool. however the crate would need one important new feature: it should additionally work like a vehicle cockpit so one can drill and drive at the same time. Another cool potential feature could be to give the crane a new attachment to use it as a manlift!

when Astroneer was released i was really happy when i realized they introduced different terrain resistances/hardness. but in reality i could research the drill mods relatively quickly and then this new mechanic became completely irrelevant - especially because by the time i had to dig through hard rocks i already was equipped for it. i have to admit for a non-creative playthrough i really dislike the drill mods for the terrain tool and i do not see much ways to fix it. Well, perhaps the least they could do is to massively increase their research costs, especially for the higher tiers. maybe even make the research entirely hidden at the start of the game and make it only researchable trough finding it in a EXO research aids in the right biomes. perhaps another fix could to add a drawback by making it to require some fuel to drill through hard rocks - considering its not even really drilling but remotely sucking up the terrain (i.e. one could argue it needs to be soften up the rocks with something first).

and there is also dynamite. it exists but has no reason to - from a gameplay perspective. for one, it cannot be used for mining (it just destroys resources) - and even if it didn't it would be again far inferior to the terrain tool. that's a pity because it would be fun if the game made it such that this would be the preferred way to mine some resources to add more variety to resource acquisition. Then however it would need to be made easier available as the resources required (sulfur) to craft explosives are too difficult to really bother.

also the increased font size in your post make it more annoying to read it... and is generally not helping your argument.

Edited by Killtech

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Killtech said:

also the increased font size in your post make it more annoying to read it... and is generally not helping your argument

F. Sorry, originally typed it on a different platform, and didn’t notice the font difference until now. 

Cant edit though. Has already been 1 hour.

Edited by Slipsonic

@Killtech I guess I should have nerfed it. Well I should double the resource cost, and raise the power consumption to 1U/s on all of them without the efficiency cut. I won’t change the resource to an existing one though as it is something that makes sense for me. We can’t just keep using the same old materials, as first they were grouped. Aluminum for vehicles, titanium for rocketry, resin for small scale storage, iron for large scale, etc. Eventually, as more things got added, the groups got lost. I thought that it wouldn’t be helpful to put 9 items to an existing resource. I’ll post again, and I see if I can think of a new composite.

Also, the crane is amazing for quasi-automation!

thx

On 10/3/2019 at 11:47 AM, Killtech said:

wow, no! just no.

boost + wide + diamond drill combo are already now completely overpowered. and you want to add an easily obtainable plain better version - so easy to get that no one would even bother researching the tier I mods?? aside from that, these mods make a lot of game content obsolete and an improved version will make it even worse effectively removing content rather then adding anything...

also the increased font size in your post make it more annoying to read it... and is generally not helping your argument.

I think yall are over looking the crane and mods for the terrain tool a bit.

First the crane while yes its limiter reach is a draw back I've found a nice way to use it in multiplayer sessions. While most players are busy using the soil centrifuge by digging some giant hole in the ground we have used the crane on a large rover and drove around two manning gathering all the material you could imagine as far as the basic stuff goes and it is fun.

As for the terrain tool the simple "need" for it is what makes it great as you cant get to the cores without using up the slot. Makes you make decon what all you will take with you