Schattenjaeger

Suggestion - Toggle Compass Always On

Posted (edited)

The compass is a nifty thing, but a lot of games that bother to implement one do it as a HUD item at the top of the screen, or a visible dial somewhere else on the HUD. In other words, it's always there, and all you have to do is look at it. Astroneer... is not one of those games. But it could be.

The biggest problem with the compass in its current implementation is that you can't access it while on a vehicle. So if you want to keep going the same way you have to use dead reckoning, which becomes an issue between the speed with which other planets/celestials orbit you, and the fact that actually going in a straight line for an extended period in a vehicle is nearly impossible. (Oh, and underground. Let's not forget underground.)

But what if we had a toggle to turn the compass on and off in addition to the mouseover system we have now? What if I could surround my vehicle's footprint with the same holographic circle pointing out the four standard points on the compass? Even in it had no other functionality, just that little bit would be beyond wonderful.

Edited by Schattenjaeger

thats definitely a fair point.I've always wondered why the compass was so clunky. being bale to toggle on or off would be an advantage especially in vehicles.

I personally don't mind having to put the cursor on my Astroneer to see the compass when I'm walking around. I would really appreciate having it be "always on" while driving a vehicle. That process of having to jump out of the vehicle to check direction is a PITA.

Hmm a hidden option in the menus... how about to stick to Astroneer logic: a new small compass item. whenever in the backpack or attached to a vehicle it displays the compass. item can be turned off via F key.

Could even have an improved medium sized version, the radar (made from compass and probe scanner?) which additionally adds markers for various objects (buildings, large debris, tether-lines, whatnot) onto the compass HUD.

7 minutes ago, Killtech said:

Hmm a hidden option in the menus... how about to stick to Astroneer logic: a new small compass item. whenever in the backpack or attached to a vehicle it displays the compass. item can be turned off via F key.

Could even have an improved medium sized version, the radar (made from compass and probe scanner?) which additionally adds markers for various objects (buildings, large debris, tether-lines, whatnot) onto the compass HUD.

That'd be nice as well. Maybe part of the cartography update.

53 minutes ago, Killtech said:

This would have been better if astroneer was 1st person, but yes I would love radars and stuff like that, +1.

minor correction to my suggestion: perhaps instead of adding a new item the probe scanner added in the last updated should already fill that position. however it would only work in this fashion when a compass is also active.

and most importantly: beacons should be displayed in the compass hud. whether this would be a regular feature of the compass or it needed the radar is up for discussion.