Astrobeam

Overhyped Wanderer update

Posted (edited)

I love this game, I really do. But after getting all the achievments the game just felt dead for a little while after 1.0. This game has a very weak replayability, there is no variation to it. You always spawn on exactly the same planet and you always follow similar if not the same path to get to the endgame. All that was fine, since devs said that they would gradually bring us more content. And so they did. And all those content updates were small breadcrumbs. Mostly just QOL and couple of new platforms. Alright, great. So until this point, I thought; okay cool, SES are giving us some bits and pieces of tiny contents every now and then, probably in preparation for something big. A new adventure perhaps, something that I daresay most players have been anticipating for a while.
And here we are, the Wanderer update. ''A new adventure!'' as it was said in multiple videos and streams and roadmap.

There was so much talk and hype, especially since PAX, surrounding the Wanderer update. I'm not sure if it's my own fault for believing and hoping for a new story campaign or something along those lines. But still, So. Much. Hype. And yet all we got was roughly 2 hours worth of ''find & collect'' quest with no variations. All those probes were even found on only of the planet surfaces, not even a hint of a challenge. Wanderer update is exactly same as Lunar update, except this time we had to search for 7 things intead of just 1. How is this a ''new adventure'' ? We didn't go to any new places. We didn't discover anything new and fun. Just couple of dead probes and a mysterious npc whom we can't even interact with. Not to mention it didn't even make sense. Why would that mysterious wanderer appear through a portal on top of a dead probe?

I was deeply disappointed by the lack of thought of this ''new adventure''. Dear SES, respectfully, you have so many talented devs! Maybe you need to hire someone with quest/adventure designer background. This wanderer adventure was shockingly unimaginative compared to the creativity and epicness of the original Astroneer adventure of finding all planet gateways and cores and the unknown object in space. Original adventure was one of the, if not the best I've ever played in any games. (except Astroneer ending was very sudden and kind of weird and a bit disappointing that it ended so abruptly with that short little cutscene). Are we getting any actual new adventure, new story campaign?  I'd gladly pay cash for a DLC/expansion.  

Edited by Astrobeam

26 minutes ago, Astrobeam said:

I'm not sure if it's my own fault for believing and hoping for a new story campaign or something along those lines. 

LOL, yeah the story part of this game is the funniest thing of all. The explanation we received in the latest blog between Joe and Veronica was a total and complete cop out. 

26 minutes ago, Astrobeam said:

Mostly just QOL and couple of new platforms. Alright, great. 

Hey now, just you wait a minute! You are forgetting some very important additions:
Beachball soccer
Hoop camera racing
Chess

I can't believe I just typed the word "chess" Chess was added, to a space exploration game, in 2019 almost 2020.....chess
We receive just 5 Quality of Life additions
One was something we had before, more colors for beacons. So WOW, that was one hell of an addition! "Open that file with 4 extra colors and send it over here will ya?" and done!
Another was mods which should have worked as designed or properly from day one. I would not hang my hat on fixing an oversight as obvious as that. I mean for those that play the game that is. Yeah, right.
Fireworks delay? What the? How was this even a thing? I've  not read a single post nor a video where the fireworks delay was an issue?   

36 minutes ago, Astrobeam said:

There was so much talk and hype, especially since PAX, surrounding the Wanderer update. I'm not sure if it's my own fault for believing and hoping for a new story campaign or something along those lines. 

This used to be me! Hoping and believing! Ya got to give up those adult hopes my friend. You have got to lower your standards and expectations. Go back to the time when you were just  a wee lad. Adult things like; additional resources, machines, craftability, additional planets, trying to get the game to reach its own mantra of "500 years into the future", a story, fixes to equipment etc. they ain't a be a coming. No sir. Those things are on the tops of trees. That not be the SES way! Grab that low hanging fruit first, foremost and always. 

It is about the low hanging fruit. A new platform, adding an oxygen rail, a very simple and basic quest, a return to the old way of laying tethers, the four beacon colors we had before, you know easy peasy.
4 million copies sold (and increasing) and we got chess....................chess............in a space exploration game.............chess.........in a universe set 500 years into the future.......chess.....you just can't make this 💩 up! 

Haha, at least you're keeping it positive...ish. 🙄

42 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

4 million copies sold (and increasing) and we got chess....................chess............in a space exploration game.............chess.........in a universe set 500 years into the future.......chess.....you just can't make this 💩 up! 

Yeah, the chessboard, was actually already in the game pre 1.0. So it wasn't even anything new. Don't forget that chess figurines have to be found around the world in order to even play the chess. I guess I was wrong and they did actually introduce a new challenge to the game. :P

48 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

This used to be me! Hoping and believing! Ya got to give up those adult hopes my friend. You have got to lower your standards and expectations. Go back to the time when you were just  a wee lad. Adult things like; additional resources, machines, craftability, additional planets, trying to get the game to reach its own mantra of "500 years into the future", a story, fixes to equipment etc. they ain't a be a coming. No sir. Those things are on the tops of trees. That not be the SES way! Grab that low hanging fruit first, foremost and always. 

4 million copies sold (and increasing) and we got chess...........

The truth. I'm with you on that. In recent 5 years, I can barely remember a game that just didn't disappoint. Astroneers first playthrough was amazing though. I hated the ending, because it was just so abrupt. It felt like SES didn't think through how they actually wanted to end that particular story. It felt like they just rushed out a quickest ending they could cook up in short time they had until planned 1.0 launch. And since then, like you said, nothing but low hanging fruits.
4 million copies sold. They have hired a bunch of new devs for the team since 1.0. Game available on multiple platforms, so it's probably a lot more than 4 million copies by now. And for the years most aniticpated update we got 1 short unimaginative quest and a minigame of chess. 

hello, folks :)

I do not want to praise wanderer update or things like summer ball hehe, I also want more conceptual changes for the game. But just to remind a little that game is the sandbox - there is no such thing as "endgame" here, our imagination is our endgame. As for me I will find a usage even for the zebra balls and summer balls and hoop platforms and probes just imagining some other purpose for those :)

As I posted on the next day on Discord, the Wanderer update is a let down, I said that "I hope it isn't some collecting rocks" lame idea. Then, the next few days it comes out. You're not even collecting rocks. You're visiting some sites. That's so LAME I don't even know where to start. Huge disappointment. I don't know what took them 6 months to release this failed "update". This thing was DOA from the moment they went ahead and approved wasting money and resources on this. I was expecting something interesting to do. This is lame, it is a waste of HDD space, I wish I could just disable the garbage items that are useless anyways once you complete the quest once.

Also, the chess, the ball, the circles, all are just useless. I will not be researching them ever again. I wish there was an option or a mod that allows you to disable certain buildings or tools. Because these suck and don't belong. Just like adult coloring books. They shouldn't exist.

I was expecting some proper tools and vehicles. Some kind of local flying vehicle, such as an electric helicopter or ship, some new vehicle trailers that allow us to stack items like debris so we can bring them to the base instead of having to move the big garbage truck around.

The Wanderer update. Lame. It gets 2/10, one star because of the actual models and one star because they thought to add them, most people don't even know that these exist or existed, but the implementation of the adventure is terrible. There is no replayability value. This update name would be more properly named if they replaced the "d" with a "k" in the name because that's about the amount of work that got put into this half baked idea that nobody needed or asked for.

I'd like the option of being able to disable these items as well as some of the platforms or the items added in the summer update and so on. All non essential crap should be optional. At least that option should wash away some of the ridiculousness and lameness of some of the items added.

Stop beating around the bush @mystikro tell us how you really feel! 😉

Don't worry the next update, Groundwork, will make you feel much much better
As we will be receiving..................."Horns for vehicles!" 

I believe turn signals will be added in November! 😁

Low, low, low.......pick that low hanging fruit🎼

It's hard to argue with what @Astrobeam, @The Touch of Grey Gamer and @mystikrohave said. A space exploration game in which you attempt to play soccer and chess with others, but multiplayer is unplayable. Really? Who approves these things? I would love to be a fly in the wall in the meeting room where these decisions are made so I can understand the logic...

I play other sandbox exploration games where the devs have focused on adding tools to make exploration exciting and meaningful, or have added more lore to an already lore-rich game. I don't want to play chess or soccer in Astroneer. I want to explore. I want to know where the technology for the purple teleporters and the planet cores came from (hide alien containers across all planets with lore in them, in the form of "explorer notes" from previous Astroneers or from the aliens themselves). I want to know the stories behind the dead Astroneers I run across (put a personal log file in the backpack with their findings, discoveries, personal notes, or coordinates to places of interest), or what happened in the abandoned bases I encounter (make it so the habitat's computer is operational–or fixable–so I can access the logs). Those things will make me come back for more adventures. Chess, not so much. I can play a better (and proper) chess game with either my son in my living room or online with friends through a phone app.

The devs have lost focus of what the game is about, and are just going on weird tangents with every new update. It's as if they don't like or believe in the game they created, and are trying to make it something else. Evolution without focus or direction is what we're getting. Can this game make me feel that I'm actually exploring an alien world, or are we getting UNO cards in the next update?

3 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Low, low, low.......pick that low hanging fruit🎼

It's so low it's potatoes and it's under ground. Yeah, I bitch and moan about this update, I payed money for the game. I rather see them do something useful instead of these absolute kindergarten level ideas.

Hello Astrobeam!
Ok so I just read through this entire post and while I agree with some parts of it theres something I realy feel like saying.

You complain the games "endgame" is bad and theres no repetitivity, well, you forgot a huge chunk of it, the game is a SANDBOX game, wich means the true "endgame" is your imagination, yes maybe the chess platform, hoops and recreational spheres are not that usefull in exploration and stuff like that, but if you can imagine and play it like it would be a sandbox game you can come up with fun uses for them.
System era themselves have said in the "why tho" talkshow (or however that was called) that astroneer is a toybox for players and imagination, so you should actualy start thinking about the game in a sandbox way because thats what it is.

I'm not trying to be that guy, but all the dead astroneers you come across are alternate versions of you, made from scrap on the space station. (did you not complete the game??) Whatever tho, because we never learned what was beyond that portal the astroneer went through in the end credit scene. wait till the creative update in Nov., there is supposed to be an "interesting development" 🤔: https://www.th-clip.net/video/A3BAnmxDQ7s/astroneer-ending-what-happ.html  sorry for the ads, i'm at school and its the best I could do! 😅

I really like the new suit, but yea, wanderer update didn't add much to the game. It wasn't even that hard with the right strategy. Hopefully Groundwork will bring a new dynamic to base-building or something else.

13 hours ago, Doge229 said:

I really like the new suit, but yea, wanderer update didn't add much to the game. It wasn't even that hard with the right strategy. Hopefully Groundwork will bring a new dynamic to base-building or something else.

I hope so, I am sure the next update is not very far.