1.4.15.0 - PC - Drill on Large Buggy drilling at non-zero angles

asc3nti0ni7e

Summary: Drills not drilling in the forward direction anymore.

Platform: Steam - PC

Version/Build: 1.4.15.0

Specifications: 

PC,

Intel Core i7 960 3.2GHz stock

48GB RAM,

Windows 10 Pro

Velociraptor 10,000RPM Game Install Drive,  (SSD OS Drive,)

So the angular setting of the dual-drills on the front end of the buggy are not set at 0-degrees.

Occassionally the angle gets skewed, and just now, but i'm not sure what the trigger for it was, its' flipped around to the point where the large buggy is drilling under it's wheels.

The skewed setting stays with whichever buggy started to bug out.

if I mount a drill on front and back of buggy, it's the same angle. image attached.

Video link:  https://youtu.be/b-yK50d0RtQ

Snagit - Large Buggy Drills Angular Skewing - 2019-09-22_9-44-52.gif

I've seen one other person report this on Discord, but unfortunately we have yet to reproduce this on our side - do you have any idea what you did/what happened to your rover when the angle changed? Does reloading the game fix this?

3 hours ago, SES_Marc said:

I've seen one other person report this on Discord, but unfortunately we have yet to reproduce this on our side - do you have any idea what you did/what happened to your rover when the angle changed? Does reloading the game fix this?

Hi,

No, haven't put my finger on it.  But it's persistent with each individual buggy... whether the buggy seat is in any of the positions, or driving either direction (as shown in the picture there).

I'll keep my eye on it.  I have built a new buggy now, on a different planet, but it's happened on all planets to me.

I also used to get it in previous versions, but didn't spend the time to report it sorry, I'm not normally that languid in my reporting. But it was just a pain when it was a little bit offset like that, but when it had turned completely 180 degrees and the mining semi-circle was under the plane I was about to drive on, that's when I had to report. I mean, if it offsets like that, it's almost like a physical reality that the buggy has worn out and it's mountings are loose... You have some practical mechanics in the game which almost have the same feeling... so I dealt with it.

Hello,

I have encountered this same issue, but with only one drill attached.

Skewed angle seems to persist only at the side of the rover it was attached to. restarting the game seems to fix it.
Another 'fix' is; You swap the drill to a non-skewed attachment point >> drill for a bit >> This one gets skewed >> Swap to the next non-skewed point in your Rover 'train' >> Till you run out of 'clean' attachment points >> get frustrated at pointing the camera at the sky to drill at a straight level, and reload the game.

I finally Saw how it happened just earlier:
I drove my vehicle up into a corner, and over a solid rock that stuck out a bit out of the ground(like those you can winch). My vehicle got 'stuck'. The game re-positioned my vehicle a few meters away. And the drill 'reticle' seemed to stay offset to the camera angle(?) just before the re position.
I had the opportunity to play with that situation for a couple seconds. And I got the drill skewed in a couple different directions. And now I wish I'd taken a few screenshots. D:

Picked up this game last week, and had this bug fairly consistently since tech-ing to the vehicle drills.

Hope this helps, 

I'm moving the drill around all attachements, and no change to the angle.  Video showed that too.

Rebooting the game did fix it. But it takes soooooo long to load, even running the game from a Velociraptor 10,000RPM drive, and the OS on an SSD!

I'm not sure, but it might have been set of whack when it got bombed to smithereens as I seemed to have parked next to four of those bomb throwing plants... cataplants, that's them... so is it the repositioning of the buggy through means other than it's own traction that bounces the skew of the mining gimbals?

I'll keep trying to pin it down.

Edited by asc3nti0ni7e

3 minutes ago, asc3nti0ni7e said:

I'm moving the drill around all attachements, and no change to the angle.  Video showed that too.

Oh sorry, I meant, swapping the drills from the front of the vehicle to back.... Hmmmm.... no wait.... yeah your image shows them front and back simultaneously....
Perhaps your two drills and my one drill makes the issue behave differently?..... Maybe I'm miss-remembering, and It only fixed when I did change it from one vehicle to the next. My mind Is a leaky mess lately.

I'll keep an eye out.

Just picked it happening.

I have a two-buggy train of Medium buggies, I was decsending on Terra from the first-basement to second basement and breached into a cavern. I fell through the hole sideways, twisting, and the buggy landed upside-down. I stayed in the seat the whole time.

After I had fallen to the floor with the normal bouncing that goes with it, I pressed 'F' for flip without moving the mouse significantly to select the Flip option. Upon settling I see that the drill is offset.

This happened to me twice now, even before the Wanderer Update.

For me it seems if I drive my Rover over a bump, when the Rover jumps/bounces into the air a little bit and if I then happen to change the camera angle, the cone of the drill gets dislodged  and turns to the left or right side depending in which direction I turned the camera in that moment when the Rover was bouncing. I had only one drill on the Rover.

Also the drill cone disappears behind the clouds.

I hope this helps.

20190926220919_1.jpg

20190926220923_1.jpg

On 9/27/2019 at 10:04 AM, Crimsonlight said:
On 9/27/2019 at 9:44 AM, asc3nti0ni7e said:

Oh sorry, I meant, swapping the drills from the front of the vehicle to back.... Hmmmm.... no wait.... yeah your image shows them front and back simultaneously....
Perhaps your two drills and my one drill makes the issue behave differently?..... Maybe I'm miss-remembering, and It only fixed when I did change it from one vehicle to the next. My mind Is a leaky mess lately.

I'll keep an eye out.

Turns out my mind was leaky. The drill cone's offset is tied to all of a single vehicle's mount points.

I couldn't play that often lately, but I've still had it happen regularly, though normally not bad enough to really bother me. This happened just now while drilling my way to the core. I rolled over a bunch of times, and pressed Y to flip back. I may have moved the camera a bit during this, I'm not sure, I wasn't paying that much attention. this time it's just a very slight offset, But I wanted to capture it being tied to the front and back mountpoints. In between the images I only swapped the drill and seat around. Everything else remained unchanged. (Except the sun moving :P)
20191006114414_1.thumb.jpg.8c377188d34678bb5d7cd942fbae135c.jpg20191006114357_1.thumb.jpg.7736b45559e77d1ebf467978028c8757.jpg

[Edit:]The Drill Cone is leaning slightly to the right. With the drill mounted first on the front, later on the back.

-----------------
Also where the drill deforms terrain doesn't seem to be exactly where the cone points after the cone gets dislodged. Deformation still tends to happen in front of you, though it often skews on the vertical axis.  I've had it point directly down under the front wheels. Drilling straight down into the ground. But I find this hard to capture. And the very thought of capturing video stresses me out. :S 

But I do have some more screenies.
The following screenies are of an earlier journey, though I may have gotten exasperated, and reloaded the game in between:

This got quite silly and unplayable.
20190929152111_1.thumb.jpg.04487d3e53715b06611fcff6bac56212.jpg

IIRC, the drill actually started drilling downwards also.
20190929152209_1.thumb.jpg.a8235f38f71e0520a46bf337e7055ad4.jpg

But wait, there's more. So this just sorta happened. :D:
20190929083316_1.thumb.jpg.618331a0e3acdfa7184d431bde9d4c68.jpg

Here the Cone flipped upside down. Yes, I am sitting upright. Gravity is going it's job. Wheels are on the ground. 
(Please Ignore the solar panels underground :P )
20190929083326_1.thumb.jpg.d333230a9d05a80056491c4815d820bd.jpg

Hope this helps, or spawns some chuckles. :P 

Edited by Crimsonlight
Aligning the images.

Have had this issue twice. Not sure what's triggering it, but I did get stuck in the ground a few times just prior to this second instance after "flipping" the rover back upright.

As you can see from the attached screenshots, the reticle is now on the Horizontal axis, has a much larger range of motion than it should, and, when moved from left (up) to right (down) produces those two depressions in the ground before me, showcasing the actual drill location of those two extremes.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1882576275

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1882576163

As with the first time I caught this bug, reloading fixes it.

Should note that I'm on 1.5.8, on Steam.

Edited by Schattenjaeger

So... I was using a Large Buggy, with a single DRILL 1 on the front... on Calidor.  Then I was off Calidor...
So there was two downed shuttles with metals in them I wanted to collect, they were placed in each other, so I was mining under them to free at least one up that it would move that I could enter the other. The way calidor has spawned in this game seems to have left a lot of loot on top of each of other actually... anyhow, as I was nosing the buggy under the loot to get all the soil out of the model so that it would free up, the moment it moved I sent my buggy sky high, then space high, then higher...
Images uploaded, Video link here describing the mining drill offset only after this event...https://youtu.be/te7xTlUgQ_M
2019-10-09_6-42-27.thumb.gif.ba5d764a9f28fdacca2c3c38acd2b4dc.gif
First image: You can see the axles were deformed.
2019-10-09_6-47-30.thumb.gif.19081cb030c0b9b0c434e91fee88c174.gif

Second Image; Look Ma, I can drill the whole Novus away in one go!....
2019-10-09_6-45-41.thumb.gif.0225d1bd389902df3802505958c33fca.gif
Third Image: Yeah, I'm stranded.... But you can see here the drill is now offset.