Doge229

Any tips for using the Portable Oxygenator?

I got a Portable Oxygenator as soon as I could, but whenever I use it it saps so much power that I can't keep it running for more than 10-20ish sec. Any ideas?

My #1 tip on using the PO is, don't.

It is a waste and really needs to be redesigned but thus far................... 🦗🦗🦗

If you want to use it then be prepared to give it many slots on your backpack. One for the PO, one for the small generator and then one more slot for fuel. So what you do is turn on the small generator and turn off the small generator constantly or you have to put the small generator onto one of the top two wing spots on the backpack so you can use either C/V to turn it on or off. 
Doing that means that you can't have two jetpacks or two lights. 
Or you can just put it onto your backpack and every time you need oxygen stop, turn on the generator, fill up with oxygen, stop, turn off the generator, play, stop, turn on the generator, ok so you get the picture.
If you don't use it you won't be alone. No one does. Well, I've never read a single post about the wonderfulness that is PO's. I've watched literally hundreds of videos and maybe 2 used a PO for more than 3 minutes? 
But much like the splitter the fix has be ignored by SES

I've got about 1,500 hours total into the game and I've used the PO for about 2 minutes? If it was a good piece of equipment I would use and and tell you the same. However......

Play on player! The sky's the limit!

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

Guess I am here to contradict @The Touch of Grey Gamer , however i do respect each and every person's decision, i actually love the portable oxygenator.
I would say place the portable oxygenator on the left slot and a small generator on the right slot since you find organic almost everywhere you go ,remember to use the portable oxygenator only when your oxygen tank is low, use the keys C/V to switch on and off the oxygenator and the power generator whenever required.
In fact this is my 2nd favourite time in the game after the jetpacks.

hello all :)

so, I have a question then: how to fit PO, generator and at least one jetpack into 2 auxes? plus I am usually always carrying with me small wind generator because I am using alot of mods.

I am quite sad about all this :\ why having all these fancy items when there is no possibility to use them all together? plus jetpack, what now I need also take with me extra hydrazine canisters to be safe than sorry? pfft. very. sad. I. am.

28 minutes ago, Mio said:

so, I have a question then: how to fit PO, generator and at least one jetpack into 2 auxes? plus I am usually always carrying with me small wind generator because I am using alot of mods.

Well guess what you still might be able to do all that, put your small wind turbine on your terrain tool on the top slot (I am not sure but 95% it will work), and then put the the portable oxygenator and the small generator on the top 2 slots and keep using C/V for toggling on and off.
If you don't have space on the terrain tool, maybe put the wind turbine on the backpack itself but I think it might not be that efficient, also using more that 2 mods might not be a good idea as the consume a lot of power.

3 hours ago, Mio said:

hello all :)

I am quite sad about all this 😕 why having all these fancy items when there is no possibility to use them all together? plus jetpack, what now I need also take with me extra hydrazine canisters to be safe than sorry? pfft. very. sad. I. am.

Therein lies the rub. If you do as @TMarcher74 says, you can't use jetpacks and lights. So while in caves/night, having no lighting is bad. Not being able to use the jetpacks anywhere is bad. 

To use everything that is mentioned here one would have to stop, stop playing, rearrange things on the backpack, go back to playing for a brief period of time, stop playing, rearrange things on the backpack, go back to playing, stop playing..............

There are two C/V slots and there are 6 items that need to go into those two slots for those 6 to be used optimally. You are going to have to make sacrifices (not decisions) if you want to carry and use all four; PO, lighting, jetpacks, & small generator and you can't use them together. Sure you could use one jetpack and one light but still, one would have to stop, stop playing, rearrange, play for a short spell, stop playing, rearrange the backpack again................................
And that does not include any drill mods, oxygen tank, fuel, etc. that one may want to carry and use. 
IMHO, it does not have to be this way, it just is this way. 

Honestly, the worklight doesn’t need to be on the augment slot. In what situation would you really need to turn it off? I can just go on the pack because then it still lights up the area around and in front of you. I don’t go out often so instead of using a generator for my PO I use 2 batteries. This is worth it for me because I do a lot of work with mods and hate running out of power with the regular battery. On my slots I have a jet pack and a PO. You don’t need 2 jet packs though, so there’s that. The more passives the better.

4 hours ago, Slipsonic said:

Honestly, the worklight doesn’t need to be on the augment slot. In what situation would you really need to turn it off? I can just go on the pack because then it still lights up the area around and in front of you. I don’t go out often so instead of using a generator for my PO I use 2 batteries. This is worth it for me because I do a lot of work with mods and hate running out of power with the regular battery. On my slots I have a jet pack and a PO. You don’t need 2 jet packs though, so there’s that. The more passives the better.

You nailed that description man, I keep my canister, an O2 tank, and my worklight on my Terrain Tool. Then I've got my Jetpacks in my Widget slots, which leaves 8 storage slots that are easy to access. The light works perfectly on my TT, not sure why anyone needs it in Widget slots.

well, I did not mean having the worklight in aux, I need there small wind turbine - as many batteries one can put in a backpack they will run out eventually. On the gun I need my drill mod and alignment mod and narrow mod because I am building alot and because there is NO hotkeys for the TT slots I need to constantly put them there when I need and remove them from there when I don't (yeah, imagine that) which requires always free slots in the backpack for exchanges. And having one canister is not enough for me, two minimum, comfortable 3. And ofc I always have small battery and oxygen tank.

So, believe me I am not unreasonable and I am quite patient when it comes to the game development, but this is already a moment when my backpack hotkey on the keyboard will be broken soon - this how often I open it and close. And also this is a moment when I am NOT using all the game possibilities I want to use simply because they not fitting into backpack. And this why all my posts here about it :)

Vote for Astropack! :D

12 hours ago, Slipsonic said:

Honestly, the worklight doesn’t need to be on the augment slot. In what situation would you really need to turn it off? 

Does it need to be? No. Does it look better? Yeah. Does it look, normal? Yeah. Does it look like a real Astroneer should with the lights in the two aux slots? Yeah. 
So I'm supposed to play this beautiful game, ugly? 
I wouldn't use the lights in the aux slots to turn them on or off. That would not be the reason of the lights being in the aux slots. 
TBH, I'm not interested in lighting the area behind me. I want it to be lighting my way, my future, not my past.
Again, using just one jetpack is just something I would never do. It is just too ugly. And everytime I had to use just one jetpack it would only serve as a reminder that, I am sacrificing. I'm not making a decision, I'm making a sacrifice do to IMHO, less than optimal lighting designs. 

@The Touch of Grey Gamer If You care about aesthetic more than functionality then your input shouldn’t be included in this post. No one gives a crap if it looks better or not and that isn’t even a solution to doge229s problem. If you put the worklight on the terrain tool that is the best way to use it, as put away it faces forward and out it lights every thing up. Their is your solution. Just because something on the backpack looks non conventional doesn’t mean that the game turns into a 4-bit piece of trash. I would understand if you were trying to extend your enjoyment of the game, but we are discussing functionality right now. 

26 minutes ago, Slipsonic said:

If You care about aesthetic more than functionality then your input shouldn’t be included in this post. No one gives a crap if it looks better or not 
You don't give a crap, a lot of people do give a crap. You are in the minority here. That's why 99% of all compliments about the game start off like this "beautiful game...."

If you put the worklight on the terrain tool that is the best way to use it,
For you. Not for me. I use mods. Mods only work on the terrain tool. Therefore your one solution fits all does not work here

Just because something on the backpack looks non conventional doesn’t mean that the game turns into a 4-bit piece of trash.
I agree here. I have 1,500 hours played thus far about 800 on my current save game. So if it were trash I would not play for so many hours 

I don't even need a solution to my problem now. It's just entertaining to read how y'all play the game.

@The Touch of Grey Gamer How could you have even missed what I was trying to say? If you thought I was talking about the entire game then you would be mistaken. More specifically I was talking about the functionality of the backpack, which everyone playing probably cares about. The very first time someone loads up a world the first thing they’ll notice is the design of the Planet, Flora, etc. it’s going to take them at least 5 hours before they have to start to worry about backpack management. If you think 1 jet pack or a non Aux Worklight (which BTW shows NO difference besides being barely displaced)

is “just too ugly” then you either have mild OCD or your requirement of perfection is too high for this game. I will say though, that there is no “best way” for anything in this game. My mistake.

10 minutes ago, Slipsonic said:

@The Touch of Grey Gamer

is “just too ugly” then you either have mild OCD or your requirement of perfection is too high for this game. I will say though, that there is no “best way” for anything in this game. My mistake.

When and if you have a save game as long as I have, about 800 hours, all that remains is "playing for the pretty." 
It's not like SES is introducing new resources 
It's not like SES is providing us with new crafting type machinery 
It's not like SES is providing us with more gasses
It's not like SES is providing us with more achievements
The game has not progressed in these ways
The game has progressed in pretty ways. Beachball soccer, jetpack picture racing, hoops, find the colored fireworks, find the crash site. 
When I started playing December 2016, the game was about resources, crafting, machines, etc. 
It wasn't until recently that it has changed to 'pretty' with little substance. 
I play the game the way the devs are designing it. I was a crafter, an explorer, a machinist when the game was first released, then those items stopped coming so I became and artist, a soccer player, a photographer, a hoopster! 🤸‍♂️

1 hour ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

When and if you have a save game as long as I have, about 800 hours, all that remains is "playing for the pretty." 
It's not like SES is introducing new resources 
It's not like SES is providing us with new crafting type machinery 
It's not like SES is providing us with more gasses
It's not like SES is providing us with more achievements
The game has not progressed in these ways
The game has progressed in pretty ways. Beachball soccer, jetpack picture racing, hoops, find the colored fireworks, find the crash site. 
When I started playing December 2016, the game was about resources, crafting, machines, etc. 
It wasn't until recently that it has changed to 'pretty' with little substance. 
I play the game the way the devs are designing it. I was a crafter, an explorer, a machinist when the game was first released, then those items stopped coming so I became and artist, a soccer player, a photographer, a hoopster! 🤸‍♂️

This is true as anything. They really do need to work on new mechanics and upgrades.

15 hours ago, Doge229 said:

I don't even need a solution to my problem now. It's just entertaining to read how y'all play the game.

:D love your comment

Shall we make a new thread about how we play the game or continue here? :D I have so many "i wish there would be..."s

On 9/16/2019 at 10:07 PM, Doge229 said:

I got a Portable Oxygenator as soon as I could, but whenever I use it it saps so much power that I can't keep it running for more than 10-20ish sec. Any ideas?

Make a hole on the ground, drop it in, and never use it again...

39 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

Make a hole on the ground, drop it in, and never use it again...

This is it. This is the post. 😂

My usual 'wandering' back pack layout was 2 batteries, oxygen tank, one canister. Aux was small turbine and worklight. I love the concept of the PO, but with oxygen filters being massively more available(only one resin) than power while wandering, I typically would just make filters as I went. 

Edited by Tyler James
Typo

The PO can supply multiple players with oxygen. Like in every good RPG our team mostly has a Driller, a Supporter and one or two Haulers.

Every player has at least one jetpack, a battery, oxygen tank - and a working light if wanted.