A couple mechanics questions...

PickleRick

Ok, great game, a few thoughts...

The terrain alignment tool should maintain level relative to where your cursor is, not where you initially select the terrain. Every time I go forward, the new segment messes up what I leveled behind me. Just takes a lot of micromanagement. If you're 100m from the core, everywhere you level (regardless of where you start) should maintain 100m.

Is there a way to hot-swap terrain tools? I use Mod 3 and alignment almost exclusively, but I have munaully exchange them between my backpack and my gun. Am I missing an easier way of doing this? 

Again, great game. Thanks to all the Devs.

On 9/9/2019 at 11:22 AM, PickleRick said:

The terrain alignment tool should maintain level relative to where your cursor is, not where you initially select the terrain. Every time I go forward, the new segment messes up what I leveled behind me. Just takes a lot of micromanagement. If you're 100m from the core, everywhere you level (regardless of where you start) should maintain 100m.

Is there a way to hot-swap terrain tools? I use Mod 3 and alignment almost exclusively, but I have munaully exchange them between my backpack and my gun. Am I missing an easier way of doing this? 

Again, great game. Thanks to all the Devs.

Welcome to the forum @PickleRick! We hope you stop by often and post regularly! 
There is a item on the roadmap https://trello.com/b/UoZgKrd3/astroneer-development-roadmap that is called "TruFlat 2.0" I believe this will address the issue you are describing. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 5:22 AM, PickleRick said:

When I want to flatten things perfectly, I use no mods and press my flatten key while terraforming. But If I want to flatten things along the curve of the planet, I use the allignment mod and my flatten key. This works quite well for me, it's pretty flat, and makes little mistakes.

Hold Shift and left-click to quick swap things between your backpack and terrain tool.

Edited by Doge229