Mio

road building drill

hello all :)

After digging alot of tunnels I am turned into road-building-neer :D So, here is an idea: if canisters with soil are present on the drilling vehicle, while drill is working it would be filling the holes on the resulting road or buidling the road if there is air. Can be done with drill mods maybe?

Also would be nice to lock drill on certain angle so it won't be "diving" down if u accidentally move the camera.

4 hours ago, Mio said:

hello all :)

After digging alot of tunnels I am turned into road-building-neer :D So, here is an idea: if canisters with soil are present on the drilling vehicle, while drill is working it would be filling the holes on the resulting road or buidling the road if there is air. Can be done with drill mods maybe?

Also would be nice to lock drill on certain angle so it won't be "diving" down if u accidentally move the camera.

Check out the prototype Paver! 

whoa! this is exactly what I want!!! I go try to repeat this. thank you! :)

@Mio, I believe @Blind Io said this is a prototype. As such, the developers have created it, but we don't have it yet. I have heard that this could be implemented in a future update. Don't know when though.

4 hours ago, Mio said:

emm, I cannot repeat that, whats a trick?

I have not given up hope at all. I even stuck around when my main game save was broken by an early update, and was later rescued by the SES team fixing the issue. Thanks for saving hundreds of hours of game play for me. Patience and persistence as always.

long overdue.only niggle I see is the gargantuan amount of soil this would need to do what it does.

just a suggestion ..I'd be more inclined to research and then have the large printer print a made-for-purpose road maker that hugs the ground laying paths while it clears away trees and rocks

or I had a better idea yet have one that collects and converts soil and rocks and such matter .into. paths so that as the astroneer goes chomping along the ground scooping up soil they are at the same time laying down roads

genius!!!

then have say a bulk amount of made up tethers on the back somewhere and as your road is laid tethers are placed alongside automatically.WoW!! now that sounds like something pretty neat.hmm

So I'm guessing this is a completely new module that's just using the model of a drill head during testing.  Will we be able to fit the new module on the front of a large rover, along with a drill head, run both at once (so long as we have the power), and then drill through the ground while filling in any holes in the floor, just like we would with a terrain tool while holding Ctrl down? (And yes this would also need to clear trees and rocks out of the way.  Trying to make roads with the existing drill on the surface just doesn't work because you get bogged down in them.  Maybe having to use a T3 drill and a paver at the same time to get around this would be the answer.)

Also it might be time to add bigger soil canisters, that would allow more soil to be stored on a tier 2 slot, than a medium storage silo covered in canisters.  Maybe even a huge soil tank that takes up a whole large rover, so we don't have to make 2 Large Storage Silo Bs, 24 Medium Storage Silos, and 576 canisters to max out soil storage on it.

Edited by polarity

4 hours ago, polarity said:

So I'm guessing this is a completely new module that's just using the model of a drill head during testing.  Will we be able to fit the new module on the front of a large rover, along with a drill head, run both at once (so long as we have the power), and then drill through the ground while filling in any holes in the floor, just like we would with a terrain tool while holding Ctrl down? (And yes this would also need to clear trees and rocks out of the way.  Trying to make roads with the existing drill on the surface just doesn't work because you get bogged down in them.  Maybe having to use a T3 drill and a paver at the same time to get around this would be the answer.)

Also it might be time to add bigger soil canisters, that would allow more soil to be stored on a tier 2 slot, than a medium storage silo covered in canisters.  Maybe even a huge soil tank that takes up a whole large rover, so we don't have to make 2 Large Storage Silo Bs, 24 Medium Storage Silos, and 576 canisters to max out soil storage on it.

+1
This! So much this!

I'm collecting resin, creating canisters and filling them up. I only have a couple of hundred of them filled 😮
After watching the video I think I'm going to need a few thousand additional filled canisters to create the road network I dream of. 

New skill added to the resume: Dirt Farmer! 

Pole to Pole
Around the Equator
Gateway Chamber to Gateway Chamber
LZ to LZ

Am I missing any?

Maybe if pavers/drills had two different leveling modes:

1. As it is now, controlled by the mouse with a deadzone near horizontal.
2. Self leveling, so that the drill always points at the horizon, no matter the angle of the rover, ensuring you'll make a flat surface that's always at the same altitude from the center of the planet, no matter how rough the terrain.

Tapping a button could toggle between those two mode, while holding it and changing the camera angle would both select the second mode (regardless of the currently active one) and set an angle to self level at above or below the horizon, when the button is released.

Then you could have an achievement for turning an entire planet into a perfectly polished sphere ;)

15 hours ago, polarity said:

2. Self leveling, so that the drill always points at the horizon, no matter the angle of the rover, ensuring you'll make a flat surface that's always at the same altitude from the center of the planet, no matter how rough the terrain.

this please!

I always thought that drill should have a mod slots, same as terrain tool. So actually putting there alignment mod would do the trick :)

I'd rather make use of keybinds than have to stop the attachment/s (drill/paver), get out, swap a mod over, get back in, turn the attachments back on.  Research, Backpack and Terrain tool are disabled while in a vehicle seat, so why not make use of the freed-up buttons instead?